Bad
Good

In my experience the school was poorly cleaned the control was few to non and even the teacher started to given up. Many students complain about being bullied and authorities did nothing to stop it in overall not a very good school but you can build strong bonds.

Joseph Lane is awesome the other students here are very kind, and the teachers are great! It is the best school in the world.I think the only way Jo- Lane can improve is to have more one on one time( teacher to student), and let the special- ed class interact with other students more often.

My child's classes were so noisy and distracting. A lot of time students were talking, disrespectful while the teacher was teaching and teacher didn't seem to notice or care, my child was not getting any help when she had questions. When I told my concerns to the teachers, I was told that was the "makeup of the class." Way to blame it on the kids, not on your own management of your class. My student has been unhappy all year with this issue, I should have insisted on changing her teachers right of when my child was coming home daily upset from school about the classes but I thought it would get better.....I was wrong.

I know there is only one other middle school in this area, but I still would not recommend this school. I don't know if the teachers are overworked or just don't care, but I have never seen such a lack of willingness to help a student. I contacted the school several times for a couple of different issues and never received any type of reply. My child was beyond frustrated and it was just getting worse, so we decided to homeschool. It's only been 3 months, but going great so far.

If your child is on an IEP, this is not the school for your child. The 6th grade teachers my daughter had were very condescending to her, constantly pointing her out as to one of those kids who go to the resource room with a special ed. teacher. The teachers told me outright that my daughter did not belong in their classes and needed to be in special ed classes for most of the day, as they were not "equipped" to suit her needs. Got a long speech from them about state testing scores. I got the impression that this was all these particular teachers cared about. My daughter did not enjoy her 6th grade experience because of her teachers and how rude and condescending they were to her and other students. In fact, her resource teacher was the only teacher she liked because she wasn't treated "special" and was treated with kindness instead of rudeness. My daughter did great once in 7th grade as the teachers did not view her as just a test score, but a capable student. The 6th grade teachers, however, have much lacking in the kindness and professionalism department.

If you live in Roseburg, there are only two choices of middle school: Jo Lane and Fremont. Between them, I'd say Jo Lane stands head and shoulders over Fremont. The teachers are quite good (despite what the administration may lack...)

Why dont i know anything about the pricipals leadership! I am hoping with all the influx of students this year / additional revenue's generated, that more activities will be held for the students!!!!

I have taugth at two middle schools, one high school, and at Pitchford Boys Ranch. Joseph Lane Middle School is an excellent school. Hallways are peaceful, School expectations are clear, and staff, including custodial, are united. I would not hesitate to send my child to this school; nor would I turn down an offer to teach there again if I still lived in the Roseburg area. Gregory H. Allbright, M.Ed.-Teacher--South Fork High School, Miranda, California.

Last modified Joseph Lane Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.