Roseburg, OR

Posted June 08, 2013
My child's classes were so noisy and distracting. A lot of time students were talking, disrespectful while the teacher was teaching and teacher didn't seem to notice or care, my child was not getting any help when she had questions. When I told my concerns to the teachers, I was told that was the "makeup of the class." Way to blame it on the kids, not on your own management of your class. My student has been unhappy all year with this issue, I should have insisted on changing her teachers right of when my child was coming home daily upset from school about the classes but I thought it would get better.....I was wrong.

Posted May 19, 2013
I know there is only one other middle school in this area, but I still would not recommend this school. I don't know if the teachers are overworked or just don't care, but I have never seen such a lack of willingness to help a student. I contacted the school several times for a couple of different issues and never received any type of reply. My child was beyond frustrated and it was just getting worse, so we decided to homeschool. It's only been 3 months, but going great so far.

Posted March 24, 2013
If your child is on an IEP, this is not the school for your child. The 6th grade teachers my daughter had were very condescending to her, constantly pointing her out as to one of those kids who go to the resource room with a special ed. teacher. The teachers told me outright that my daughter did not belong in their classes and needed to be in special ed classes for most of the day, as they were not "equipped" to suit her needs. Got a long speech from them about state testing scores. I got the impression that this was all these particular teachers cared about. My daughter did not enjoy her 6th grade experience because of her teachers and how rude and condescending they were to her and other students. In fact, her resource teacher was the only teacher she liked because she wasn't treated "special" and was treated with kindness instead of rudeness. My daughter did great once in 7th grade as the teachers did not view her as just a test score, but a capable student. The 6th grade teachers, however, have much lacking in the kindness and professionalism department.

Posted February 15, 2010

Posted November 19, 2008
If you live in Roseburg, there are only two choices of middle school: Jo Lane and Fremont. Between them, I'd say Jo Lane stands head and shoulders over Fremont. The teachers are quite good (despite what the administration may lack...)

Posted October 21, 2007
Why dont i know anything about the pricipals leadership! I am hoping with all the influx of students this year / additional revenue's generated, that more activities will be held for the students!!!!

Posted September 05, 2007
I have taugth at two middle schools, one high school, and at Pitchford Boys Ranch. Joseph Lane Middle School is an excellent school. Hallways are peaceful, School expectations are clear, and staff, including custodial, are united. I would not hesitate to send my child to this school; nor would I turn down an offer to teach there again if I still lived in the Roseburg area. Gregory H. Allbright, M.Ed.-Teacher--South Fork High School, Miranda, California.

Posted March 11, 2005

Joseph Lane Middle School 5

Posted August 26, 2004
- a former student
I loved this school! The teachers made everything really fun and I learned so much! I had a ton of homework, though. But I did it and passed with flying colors. If a class wasn't available for the more advanced kids, we would ride the bus to RHS to take the class and then go back to Jo Lane. I miss that school so much! I thought about purposely flunking to stay there another year!

Posted August 01, 2004
Acedemically this school needs help! As for children with acedemic gifts this school provides little challenge. There are few if any classes for the gifted. This past year my daughter was in the seventh grade; she had no challenge all year. On top of that they no longer offer a foriegn language, so this year my daughter will have to attend the high school so she can take spanish. The math program needs great improvment (but that is throught the district). My daughter will not be attending Rousburg High School in the following year. To be where she needs to be in the 9th grade at a different school she needs to take classes that are not offered. This school is prime example of what education has become!

Joseph Lane Middle School
2153 NE Vine St, Roseburg, OR  97470
Last modified Joseph Lane Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Joseph Lane Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top