Salem, OR

Posted January 14, 2013
After noticing that many of the comments were a few years old (pre-2010), I decided to provide an updated opinion. The principal, as well as some of the staff, is new to Morningside ES as of the 2011/12 school year. Since that was the first year of our experience with the school, I only have the past year and a half to compare. Regardless, we have found the staff to be responsive, communicative, and friendly.

Morningside Elementary School 5

Posted July 13, 2010
We have one child that has just completed K - 5 at Moringside and one that is entering the 5th grade. We have had a fantastic experience at Morningside. The principal is a strong leader (so pick your battles carefully) and the teachers are friendly and welcome parent comments/questions, email works the best. Parent involvement is overwhelming so it is not always easy to volunteer due to the number of parents waiting to help out.

Posted March 25, 2010
I am not sure what kind of bad experience these other negative comments have come out of, but I find them to be completely unfounded. I have never seen a hint of unprofessionalism by the principal, teachers, or any of the support staff. I have volunteered multiple times and have been nothing but pleased with what I have experienced. I will say that sometimes alternative viewpoints sometimes seem to be dismissed if they are outside the range of what has been experienced. Class sizes are quite large and it is probably not easy to please everyone. I have always felt welcome there, however, especially by the principal. If you expect to take up 5 minutes of a teacher's time while students are coming in the door in the morning, that probably wouldn't be well received, but teachers have always made time to talk with me, even during their lunch.

Posted February 12, 2009

Morningside Elementary School 0

Posted December 12, 2008
My daughter and I moved to Salem this year and she is attending Morningside. I have to say that she has adjusted well to the school and for the first time is actively partcipating in projects in the school. I think that speaks volumes when a new student who tends to be shy comes home and say mom I want to do choir. She cant wait to get to school and seems to be making great progress with her studies. I think this school is exactly what we were hoping for. It is small and no student gets to fall through the cracks.

Morningside Elementary School 0

Posted November 04, 2008
I am a grandparent of a 5th grader. He moved to Morningside and began 4th grade. I have had no problems with this school. They have been open to communication with my son and myself regarding grandsons education planning. I have found teachers to be open and have visited classrooms.Friendless extends to parking lot staff also. Thank you much each of you....

Morningside Elementary School 5

Posted October 30, 2008
I have 2 children at Morningside, and have been involved for 4 years. I have NEVER had a problem with any staff. The principal is wonderful. She greets every child by name every am. She is at every function and every parent club meeting. The simple fact that my children have grown so much had no problems tells me she is doing a terrific job. To say contact between parents and staff is discouraged is crazy. All teachers have email, and are more then willing to talk when they have time. Obviously they are busy right before school, and have many meetings not to mention their own familes after school. ALL parents are welcome at Parent Club and have a voice there. Parent club has purchased 10's of $1,000 play equipment, field trips, classroom itmes, and so much more. Want to see something improve? Be part of the solution. Volunteer.

Morningside Elementary School 1

Posted September 15, 2008
I give Morningside one star only because of the great teachers. The Principal and front office staff are unprofessional, intimidating to the children in the way they talk to these poor students, condescending to the parents and lack verbal communication skills out of all the 5 years we've been there. They do not communicate with parents at all.

Morningside Elementary School 1

Posted July 17, 2008

Posted January 04, 2008
My daughter has been in the school for 2 years now, and I have never been treated poorly by any of the staff. I have volunteered at this school on a number of ocassions both in the school and on field trips. All of these experieinces have been positive. I think this is a very good school.

Morningside Elementary School
3513 12th St SE, Salem, OR  97302
Last modified Morningside Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Morningside Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top