Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My son went to Englewood for kindergarten and 1st grade. We then moved and his new school was Morningside. Ever since he started there he has been developing into a good young man much more smoothly than he was before the transfer. He's going on to middle school this year, and I'm proud to say his little brother starts kindergarten this year at Morningside so we get to do it all over all at one place, we can hope. Love the staff there, they are awesome. Just an all around great elementary school.

My son has been in Morningside for the past 3 years, he is now ending his 5th grade 2016 year which was a TERRIBLE year..... New principal, ok, understandable these things happen, but the old principle was WAY more involved!! That's not the worst of it.. My child's teacher left the school a week before Christmas vacation and he has had a SUBSTITUTE the entire time, unacceptable!! He now has a substitute for that substitute for the rest of the year because his substitute is going to the UK. For my son to get an entire year of education from a substitute teacher is not ok. After speaking with the principal a couple of times it was clear that the situation wasn't going to change. I'm in school currently to be a teacher because of schools like Morningside that don't care and or fight for children's educations. It's quite saddening. They didn't even participate in a science fair as they have done every prior year. Since having this "substitute" he has never had ANY MORE homework and after voicing our concerns to the principle that we felt he would now be falling behind and wasn't being challenged, she assured us that she would have said substitute give our son more work/homework. Well, that never happened. Morningside was a decent school that we were pleased with up until the 2015-2016 school year. Shame on you Morningside!! May I add that the ladies in the front office are a delight and seem to really care for the children. Also, his 3rd and 4th grade teachers were great as well. I feel bad for the Morningside future.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

This is referencing only his 5th grade year. He had a good teacher for 3rd and another good one for 4th (though that teacher hadn't taught in over 5 years when he began the 2014-2015 school year)

Amount of homework: Disagree

NONE at least for my sons class, once the substitute took over they received NO homework. Occasionally, my son would say they gave a sheet of homework but they did it in class... Well, if they are doing homework in class what the heck are they doing in class??

Develops character: Strongly disagree

You can't develop those this with a subpar principal or giving children substitute teachers for entire school years

After noticing that many of the comments were a few years old (pre-2010), I decided to provide an updated opinion. The principal, as well as some of the staff, is new to Morningside ES as of the 2011/12 school year. Since that was the first year of our experience with the school, I only have the past year and a half to compare. Regardless, we have found the staff to be responsive, communicative, and friendly.

We have one child that has just completed K - 5 at Moringside and one that is entering the 5th grade. We have had a fantastic experience at Morningside. The principal is a strong leader (so pick your battles carefully) and the teachers are friendly and welcome parent comments/questions, email works the best. Parent involvement is overwhelming so it is not always easy to volunteer due to the number of parents waiting to help out.

I am not sure what kind of bad experience these other negative comments have come out of, but I find them to be completely unfounded. I have never seen a hint of unprofessionalism by the principal, teachers, or any of the support staff. I have volunteered multiple times and have been nothing but pleased with what I have experienced. I will say that sometimes alternative viewpoints sometimes seem to be dismissed if they are outside the range of what has been experienced. Class sizes are quite large and it is probably not easy to please everyone. I have always felt welcome there, however, especially by the principal. If you expect to take up 5 minutes of a teacher's time while students are coming in the door in the morning, that probably wouldn't be well received, but teachers have always made time to talk with me, even during their lunch.

My daughter and I moved to Salem this year and she is attending Morningside. I have to say that she has adjusted well to the school and for the first time is actively partcipating in projects in the school. I think that speaks volumes when a new student who tends to be shy comes home and say mom I want to do choir. She cant wait to get to school and seems to be making great progress with her studies. I think this school is exactly what we were hoping for. It is small and no student gets to fall through the cracks.

I am a grandparent of a 5th grader. He moved to Morningside and began 4th grade. I have had no problems with this school. They have been open to communication with my son and myself regarding grandsons education planning. I have found teachers to be open and have visited classrooms.Friendless extends to parking lot staff also. Thank you much each of you....

Last modified Morningside Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.