Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Morningside Elementary School 5

Posted June 02, 2016
My son went to Englewood for kindergarten and 1st grade. We then moved and his new school was Morningside. Ever since he started there he has been developing into a good young man much more smoothly than he was before the transfer. He's going on to middle school this year, and I'm proud to say his little brother starts kindergarten this year at Morningside so we get to do it all over all at one place, we can hope. Love the staff there, they are awesome. Just an all around great elementary school.

Morningside Elementary School 1

Posted May 29, 2016
My son has been in Morningside for the past 3 years, he is now ending his 5th grade 2016 year which was a TERRIBLE year..... New principal, ok, understandable these things happen, but the old principle was WAY more involved!! That's not the worst of it.. My child's teacher left the school a week before Christmas vacation and he has had a SUBSTITUTE the entire time, unacceptable!! He now has a substitute for that substitute for the rest of the year because his substitute is going to the UK. For my son to get an entire year of education from a substitute teacher is not ok. After speaking with the principal a couple of times it was clear that the situation wasn't going to change. I'm in school currently to be a teacher because of schools like Morningside that don't care and or fight for children's educations. It's quite saddening. They didn't even participate in a science fair as they have done every prior year. Since having this "substitute" he has never had ANY MORE homework and after voicing our concerns to the principle that we felt he would now be falling behind and wasn't being challenged, she assured us that she would have said substitute give our son more work/homework. Well, that never happened. Morningside was a decent school that we were pleased with up until the 2015-2016 school year. Shame on you Morningside!! May I add that the ladies in the front office are a delight and seem to really care for the children. Also, his 3rd and 4th grade teachers were great as well. I feel bad for the Morningside future.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted May 29, 2016
The front office ladies are great and very compassionate. It's clear they like their jobs!

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted May 29, 2016
This is referencing only his 5th grade year. He had a good teacher for 3rd and another good one for 4th (though that teacher hadn't taught in over 5 years when he began the 2014-2015 school year)

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted May 29, 2016
NONE at least for my sons class, once the substitute took over they received NO homework. Occasionally, my son would say they gave a sheet of homework but they did it in class... Well, if they are doing homework in class what the heck are they doing in class??

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted May 29, 2016
Respect needs to be earned and when they force a substitute to teach 5th graders those 5th graders know their education level, they are not meant to be teachers only fill ins

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted May 29, 2016
You can't develop those this with a subpar principal or giving children substitute teachers for entire school years

Morningside Elementary School 4

Posted January 14, 2013
After noticing that many of the comments were a few years old (pre-2010), I decided to provide an updated opinion. The principal, as well as some of the staff, is new to Morningside ES as of the 2011/12 school year. Since that was the first year of our experience with the school, I only have the past year and a half to compare. Regardless, we have found the staff to be responsive, communicative, and friendly.

Morningside Elementary School 5

Posted July 13, 2010
We have one child that has just completed K - 5 at Moringside and one that is entering the 5th grade. We have had a fantastic experience at Morningside. The principal is a strong leader (so pick your battles carefully) and the teachers are friendly and welcome parent comments/questions, email works the best. Parent involvement is overwhelming so it is not always easy to volunteer due to the number of parents waiting to help out.

Morningside Elementary School 4

Posted March 25, 2010
I am not sure what kind of bad experience these other negative comments have come out of, but I find them to be completely unfounded. I have never seen a hint of unprofessionalism by the principal, teachers, or any of the support staff. I have volunteered multiple times and have been nothing but pleased with what I have experienced. I will say that sometimes alternative viewpoints sometimes seem to be dismissed if they are outside the range of what has been experienced. Class sizes are quite large and it is probably not easy to please everyone. I have always felt welcome there, however, especially by the principal. If you expect to take up 5 minutes of a teacher's time while students are coming in the door in the morning, that probably wouldn't be well received, but teachers have always made time to talk with me, even during their lunch.

3513 12th St SE, Salem, OR  97302
Last modified Morningside Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.