Sprague High School

Public | 9-12

Posted December 27, 2011

As a former student, two years out and in college, I can say in retrospect that Sprague is a very strange place. I agree with another review on here that the math department is a joke. Most of my peers that graduated and went on to college were unprepared, largely due to the disinterested and standoffish math teachers who have had multiple complaints filed against them, but nothing has changed. I can say that the writing/English program is exceptionally good, and in that respect I was more than prepared when I got to college (I took honors and AP). They do, as someone else pointed out on here, track students (put them on an AP/honors track or a remedial track), and it is very difficult to move up to the higher track. The problem with such a system, obviously, is that the remedial track has lower expectations and generally not-so-great teachers. In my opinion, tracking hurts students in the middle of the academic pack the most since they are given the lowest expectations, worst teachers, and least room to grow. It's not a terrible school, and some of the teachers are outstanding, but even the AP and honors classes taught by the best teachers there were not academically challenging.

Posted March 9, 2010

I almost died at Sprague. Yes, died. I was struggling with depression at the time. I got no support despite all of the people I reached out to. When I confronted my councilor, she called the police into the office. When all I wanted was to attend an art class, I was rejected. When I pointed to a rule in the handbook that rendered their exclusion unjust, a new rule book was printed. Why? Because I was a homeless student from a low income family and did not participate in cheer leading or volleyball. And I brought down their image. If you are a student at Sprague or have a student at Sprague that is independent, an out of box thinker, or a non conforming human being, get out while you still can.

Posted April 26, 2009

I no longer attend Sprague High School, but I regret to say my time there was time wasted. The school was crowded, teachers, staff, and students alike were generally rude and dismissive, and classes were far too strict and structured to allow for any room to grow. They would not allow me to advance into an AP class in one subject because my grades in another were only average. I failed many classes because teachers couldn't/wouldn't offer assistance to students who were struggling. I admit the Sports and Music programs were supurb, but overall, that's not important. I had one teacher out of two years who could give me my name without checking a roll call sheet. Many of my former peers agreed that unless you stood out, you weren't called by your name, which is important for growing young adults. I'm glad I didn't waste my high school career here.

Posted October 16, 2008

Sprague seems like a good school, but my son had a lot of problems there and was very unhappy and complained about rudeness of both staff and students. Then he went to South and still had lots of academic problems but is much happier with staff and students.

Posted September 4, 2008

Staff is very enthusiastic and willing to teach, and they also help you not get behind.

Posted August 3, 2008

Sprague High School is Awesome! My daughter came in the middle of her freshman year and they did a great job helping her to adjust. Teachers, counselors and staff are so supportive. I am forever greatful to them, especially Ms. Nancy Olsen and Jane in the office - Thank you so much. Hope your having a wonderful summer. We'll see you in a couple of years when Thomas arrives!

Posted January 16, 2006

I must say that this school is wonderful! They have great extracurricular activities for all the students that want to be involved. In 2005 we were football state champians and this year we were one away from the semi finals. We also have a really good governing board that really does a lot for the school and cares about all the students and staff. Sprague's governing board does a lot to get student involvement. The teachers at this school really go out of their way to help students out in anyway they can. They really strive to prepare students for adulthood and college with the many different classes the school provides. I would'nt want to go to any other school in Salem.

Posted August 6, 2005

I am a student at Sprague. My sister graduated from there in 2000 and my brother did this year. I love it there, I would never even think of changing schools. They have excelent classes for everyone. I love the music programs, they are awesome. I am in choir and love it. There is a lot of parental involvement, you can walk into one of the offices and you will see parents helping out. The security guards are nice, they can be tough, but thats their job. If you are nice to them they are nice to you. I love it at Sprague and so did my siblings. I would never change schools. -Erin

Posted June 13, 2005

I am a graduate of Sprague. I'm currently in Dental School and constantly find myself thinking back to what I learned in high school. Most students don't have that luxury. I feel blessed to have had such wonderful instructors and still keep in touch with several of them eight years after graduation. The sports teams, the music program, the student newspaper are all superb. Someday I may end up raising my family in Salem and I would definitely look for homes in the Sprague area.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 1, 2005

My son attended this school. He was absolutely miserable there. The school did not meet my son's educational needs, thus we transferred him to South Salem High. His grades went from D's and F's to A's and B's. The entire attitude of the school is unsupportive and dismissive. I wouldn't recommend this school unless there was an entire staff turnover from administration to faculty. The new principal is much better than the last one and I am glad to see the change, but they still have a long way to go.

Posted August 2, 2004

I'm going to be honest, I'm not a parent, but I am a student at Sprague High School. I love it there! There's such a wide variety of kids to make friends with, and the teachers are fantastic...even the hall monitors are nice. There's plenty of activites to keep us busy after school, and even on weekends sometimes! I have a great time, and wouldn't ever think of changing schools!

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2010.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Oregon used the Oregon Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (OAKS) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in reading and math; in grade 11 in writing; and in grades 5, 8 and 11 in science. The OAKS is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oregon. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

355 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

354 students were tested at this school in 2013.

>=95%

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

355 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 60% in 2013.

356 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students85%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 36%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2373 Kuebler Blvd South