Sprague High School 2

Posted December 27, 2011
As a former student, two years out and in college, I can say in retrospect that Sprague is a very strange place. I agree with another review on here that the math department is a joke. Most of my peers that graduated and went on to college were unprepared, largely due to the disinterested and standoffish math teachers who have had multiple complaints filed against them, but nothing has changed. I can say that the writing/English program is exceptionally good, and in that respect I was more than prepared when I got to college (I took honors and AP). They do, as someone else pointed out on here, track students (put them on an AP/honors track or a remedial track), and it is very difficult to move up to the higher track. The problem with such a system, obviously, is that the remedial track has lower expectations and generally not-so-great teachers. In my opinion, tracking hurts students in the middle of the academic pack the most since they are given the lowest expectations, worst teachers, and least room to grow. It's not a terrible school, and some of the teachers are outstanding, but even the AP and honors classes taught by the best teachers there were not academically challenging.

Posted March 09, 2010
I almost died at Sprague. Yes, died. I was struggling with depression at the time. I got no support despite all of the people I reached out to. When I confronted my councilor, she called the police into the office. When all I wanted was to attend an art class, I was rejected. When I pointed to a rule in the handbook that rendered their exclusion unjust, a new rule book was printed. Why? Because I was a homeless student from a low income family and did not participate in cheer leading or volleyball. And I brought down their image. If you are a student at Sprague or have a student at Sprague that is independent, an out of box thinker, or a non conforming human being, get out while you still can.

Posted October 29, 2009

Posted October 19, 2009

Posted April 26, 2009
I no longer attend Sprague High School, but I regret to say my time there was time wasted. The school was crowded, teachers, staff, and students alike were generally rude and dismissive, and classes were far too strict and structured to allow for any room to grow. They would not allow me to advance into an AP class in one subject because my grades in another were only average. I failed many classes because teachers couldn't/wouldn't offer assistance to students who were struggling. I admit the Sports and Music programs were supurb, but overall, that's not important. I had one teacher out of two years who could give me my name without checking a roll call sheet. Many of my former peers agreed that unless you stood out, you weren't called by your name, which is important for growing young adults. I'm glad I didn't waste my high school career here.

Posted January 24, 2009

Sprague High School 2

Posted October 16, 2008
Sprague seems like a good school, but my son had a lot of problems there and was very unhappy and complained about rudeness of both staff and students. Then he went to South and still had lots of academic problems but is much happier with staff and students.

Posted September 30, 2008

Posted September 27, 2008

Posted September 04, 2008
Staff is very enthusiastic and willing to teach, and they also help you not get behind.

Sprague High School
2373 Kuebler Blvd South, Salem, OR  97302
Last modified Sprague High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sprague High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top