Bad
Good

Skilled staff, good community support, quality curriculum . Doesn't go after a lot of publicity like a couple of other local high schools. Simply serves students in a quiet, quality manner.

I am a student at Sprague and I cannot stand the school. With the exception of a few, the students are generally extremely rude and superficial. The norm there is to be loud, obnoxious and intolerable of other people. Everyone looks the same. All the guys wear knee high white socks with athletic sandals and a sweatshirt while the girls dye their hair either brown or bleach blonde, bejeweled and embroidered tight-as-hell jeans and uggs. There is absolutely no diversity whatsoever and the administration might as well admit they don't really care. There are a lot of extracurricular activities, however, so students will be involved. Generally, I'd go somewhere else, being that Sprague more and more feels like a prison.

As a former student, two years out and in college, I can say in retrospect that Sprague is a very strange place. I agree with another review on here that the math department is a joke. Most of my peers that graduated and went on to college were unprepared, largely due to the disinterested and standoffish math teachers who have had multiple complaints filed against them, but nothing has changed. I can say that the writing/English program is exceptionally good, and in that respect I was more than prepared when I got to college (I took honors and AP). They do, as someone else pointed out on here, track students (put them on an AP/honors track or a remedial track), and it is very difficult to move up to the higher track. The problem with such a system, obviously, is that the remedial track has lower expectations and generally not-so-great teachers. In my opinion, tracking hurts students in the middle of the academic pack the most since they are given the lowest expectations, worst teachers, and least room to grow. It's not a terrible school, and some of the teachers are outstanding, but even the AP and honors classes taught by the best teachers there were not academically challenging.

I almost died at Sprague. Yes, died. I was struggling with depression at the time. I got no support despite all of the people I reached out to. When I confronted my councilor, she called the police into the office. When all I wanted was to attend an art class, I was rejected. When I pointed to a rule in the handbook that rendered their exclusion unjust, a new rule book was printed. Why? Because I was a homeless student from a low income family and did not participate in cheer leading or volleyball. And I brought down their image. If you are a student at Sprague or have a student at Sprague that is independent, an out of box thinker, or a non conforming human being, get out while you still can.

I no longer attend Sprague High School, but I regret to say my time there was time wasted. The school was crowded, teachers, staff, and students alike were generally rude and dismissive, and classes were far too strict and structured to allow for any room to grow. They would not allow me to advance into an AP class in one subject because my grades in another were only average. I failed many classes because teachers couldn't/wouldn't offer assistance to students who were struggling. I admit the Sports and Music programs were supurb, but overall, that's not important. I had one teacher out of two years who could give me my name without checking a roll call sheet. Many of my former peers agreed that unless you stood out, you weren't called by your name, which is important for growing young adults. I'm glad I didn't waste my high school career here.

Sprague seems like a good school, but my son had a lot of problems there and was very unhappy and complained about rudeness of both staff and students. Then he went to South and still had lots of academic problems but is much happier with staff and students.

Staff is very enthusiastic and willing to teach, and they also help you not get behind.

Sprague High School is Awesome! My daughter came in the middle of her freshman year and they did a great job helping her to adjust. Teachers, counselors and staff are so supportive. I am forever greatful to them, especially Ms. Nancy Olsen and Jane in the office - Thank you so much. Hope your having a wonderful summer. We'll see you in a couple of years when Thomas arrives!

Last modified Sprague High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.