Salem, OR
Students enrolled: 2,023

South Salem High School 3

Posted August 31, 2014
Unfortunately, if you ever run into conflict and you need the help of a counselor or principal to get the situation corrected (like name misspellings, wrong classes, locker changes, finding out where you're supposed to be, etc.) the staff is unreliable. The only thing I would REALLY complain about though would be the fact that when I reported a friend's self harm and was worrying that they might seriously end up ending their life due to school bullying (thankfully I was not really a victim of that myself at this school in particular), I went to the principal and he did absolutely NOTHING about the bullies or the suggestion of getting help for my friend, even saying, "What do you want ME to do about it?" If you can't get help for something as serious as that from a principal, how on earth can you expect to get help when you need it in any other situation? Also, waited for 6 months to get a locker, kept telling me they'd have it in a week. Still never got one, even after parent got involved. In the end, I switched to a GED program elsewhere so I wouldn't have to rely on the simply unreliable and could just do things myself. Not a horrible school, but not necessarily the best. 3/5

Posted August 24, 2014
South Salem High School is arguably one of the most successful schools in Salem, if not the most. There's even a state-wide holiday coming up on September 5th just to commemorate South. I read about that at work and I was in serious disbelief! With a school that has great Sports programs, a fantastic Music department, and many amazing teachers, there's not one bad thing I could say about South! GO SAXONS!

Posted May 27, 2009

South Salem High School 1

Posted November 29, 2008
Administration don't have the support of the staff which makes the day worse of for the children who go there. The teachers that did and could make a difference, they let go and or fired.

South Salem High School 1

Posted October 09, 2008
Many teachers at this school has been more of a friend to my children than an educator.

South Salem High School 4

Posted September 18, 2006

Posted August 04, 2006
South has been a great fit for me, as a student. The staff is awesome and so are the students. I think our principal is really great and I think the Small Learning Communities will actually be helpful. I can't say enough about how awesome South is.

Posted March 23, 2006
South has been a great school for over fifty years.It has a strong academic program, including an IB program for students who want especially rigorous and challenging coursework. Its music department is exceptional; for two consecutive years the department has been awarded the classification as a Grammy Signature Gold School, meaning that South has one of the top seven high school music programs in the country. However, South recently got a new principal and she is determined to bring the 'small learning communities' concept to South against the wishes of most students, parents and several (if not most) teachers. This woman does not appear to be interested in what others have to say about this, nor is she willing to acknowledge that SMLs are not working in other schools around the country. Due to her position at South, the future does not look bright for this stellar school.

South Salem High School 3

Posted November 01, 2005
I love this school, but there isnt much parent involvement, and there isnt much leadership, i enjouy going here and i feel safe here

Posted September 23, 2005
- a former student

South Salem High School
1910 Church St SE, Salem, OR  97302
Last modified South Salem High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Salem High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top