Salem, OR
Students enrolled: 2,023

South Salem High School 3

Posted August 31, 2014
Unfortunately, if you ever run into conflict and you need the help of a counselor or principal to get the situation corrected (like name misspellings, wrong classes, locker changes, finding out where you're supposed to be, etc.) the staff is unreliable. The only thing I would REALLY complain about though would be the fact that when I reported a friend's self harm and was worrying that they might seriously end up ending their life due to school bullying (thankfully I was not really a victim of that myself at this school in particular), I went to the principal and he did absolutely NOTHING about the bullies or the suggestion of getting help for my friend, even saying, "What do you want ME to do about it?" If you can't get help for something as serious as that from a principal, how on earth can you expect to get help when you need it in any other situation? Also, waited for 6 months to get a locker, kept telling me they'd have it in a week. Still never got one, even after parent got involved. In the end, I switched to a GED program elsewhere so I wouldn't have to rely on the simply unreliable and could just do things myself. Not a horrible school, but not necessarily the best. 3/5

Posted August 24, 2014
South Salem High School is arguably one of the most successful schools in Salem, if not the most. There's even a state-wide holiday coming up on September 5th just to commemorate South. I read about that at work and I was in serious disbelief! With a school that has great Sports programs, a fantastic Music department, and many amazing teachers, there's not one bad thing I could say about South! GO SAXONS!

Posted November 29, 2008
Administration don't have the support of the staff which makes the day worse of for the children who go there. The teachers that did and could make a difference, they let go and or fired.

Posted October 09, 2008
Many teachers at this school has been more of a friend to my children than an educator.

Posted August 04, 2006
South has been a great fit for me, as a student. The staff is awesome and so are the students. I think our principal is really great and I think the Small Learning Communities will actually be helpful. I can't say enough about how awesome South is.

Posted March 23, 2006
South has been a great school for over fifty years.It has a strong academic program, including an IB program for students who want especially rigorous and challenging coursework. Its music department is exceptional; for two consecutive years the department has been awarded the classification as a Grammy Signature Gold School, meaning that South has one of the top seven high school music programs in the country. However, South recently got a new principal and she is determined to bring the 'small learning communities' concept to South against the wishes of most students, parents and several (if not most) teachers. This woman does not appear to be interested in what others have to say about this, nor is she willing to acknowledge that SMLs are not working in other schools around the country. Due to her position at South, the future does not look bright for this stellar school.

South Salem High School 3

Posted November 01, 2005
I love this school, but there isnt much parent involvement, and there isnt much leadership, i enjouy going here and i feel safe here

Posted June 01, 2005
The Governor of Oregon is an alumni of South Salem High and it is no surprise. This school knows how to emulate leadership, discipline, and citizenship. The teachers are some of the finest I have ever seen. They prepared my child, who in the beginning had no direction, into an honor student with a scholarship accepted to a private college. I think this is one of the best high schools in the state, especially if you have a child with special needs on an IEP.

Posted February 11, 2005
I started the school year out at sprague and I ended up transfering to south becuase I just wasnt have a good time at sprague with some of my classes and well just kind of being there. since i have transferd to south I like it way better than sprague. I feel like I am getting a much better education and I feel more comfortable going to school. When I went to sprague I never wanted to go to school I would make a new reason not to go to school every morning. Now that I go to south it's not a problem since I actually want to be there and go to school. My whole life has changed for the better sing I started goinbg to south. I don't feel as much pressure from everything and everyone anymore and I just plain LOVE south! Maritza Montoya

Posted November 04, 2004
Prior to attending South I went to Sprague, having the background of both schools it's obvious which environment I am benefiting from. South may not be the richest school or have the largest amount of computers, but it was there I received the most one on one attention and care. My GPA alone has risen over a point, beyond just the grades I feel I have gotten a quality education. When in a comfortable atmosphere that isn t overwhelming with being constantly judged, where the administration encourages me to work to my full potential I have blossomed in my high school career. Sincerely *Porshe Frye*

South Salem High School
1910 Church St SE, Salem, OR  97302
Last modified South Salem High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Salem High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top