Bad
Good

I'm transferring my children out of this school. The staff have been great, but they clearly need to get it together. There have been several issues with the busses. Safety issues. They've lost my 7 year old daughter more than 4 times just this year (its only Nov.) One of the 2nd grade teachers is so spacey. Her letters home are hardly understandable. They finally put down bark chips on their playground after one child broke his leg and then a few days later another broke his neck. The automated system only works half the time notifying parents of closures/delays. Little children are allowed access to phones independently. I've gotten many calls from my kids, when they should have been in class. Just saying hi. They aren't monitored at all. And most importantly the staff haven't been trained [trained well] in concussion/head and spine injuries. Nor have any plans been in place to do so. I can't keep my kids going here, because I'm worried about their safety.

I am very happy with this school. In fact I'm staying in Sheridan just to keep my kids in FCS. Last year I had a few issues with the safety of the school ground (mainly the lack of fencing/security gates) but they added two fencing a All around and the gate remain locked at ask times. It's great! The office ladies are really nice and go out of their way for the kids. They always answer the phone right away. Ms Arthur is a very understanding and creative kindergarten teacher. My son really made leaps and bound in her class. Ms VanDyke had also been fantastic. My daughter had been very challenging and she hasn't given up on her and always seems upbeat and positive. She has given me a lot of help and advice with my daughters behavioral issues. I'm always greeted with a smile when I come into the school (which is often) great staff! Haven't had any issues with bullying. Parent involvement seems to be really high also. Highly recomed it!

I had an amazing time attending this school they have gotton a lot better with the bullying issue. going to this school was the best years of my life they have a lot of activitys for the students like After schoool program titan night in, sports and they have a student store and a talent show this school has been amazing im so sad I had to move the people are great well most of them and i loved it here

This school has a lot of bullying! My child pretended to be sick everyday to get out of going, he was threatened to be locked in his locker! I read a comment about how they need more parents, especially at recesses, and it's true but only cuz the teachers on duty ignore. I had to go deal w/problems cuz the teacher didn't care to! At one point my child was lost for awhile, after the search, it turned out that he was sent to the wrong place after school due to a teacher misdirecting him. I thought that was inappropriate, considering the worse case scenario he could've been put on the wrong bus and sent anywhere! My child reads at a grade level above his age and not only did they not see that, but actually called him stupid - to his face! He cried and the teacher didn't see the effect she had on him, I promptly removed him from the school. I could not believe how very unprofessional everyone was at the school!!!

I agree that there is bullying in this school but a lot of the problem is the parents and the attitute that "kids will be kids". I am a parent volunteer and worked the field trips and helped in the classroom once a week and I saw this attitude from the parents. I saw kids flat out hit other kids and flip them off and had markers thrown at me personally. The response from the parent was "Oh he is just stuborn." The school can only do so much it is up to us as parents to do the rest. The other problem in the classrooms are have many special needs children there are that disrupt the entire class everyday. How can a teacher teach when a child is throwing themself on the ground screaming because they did not ge their way. And this is one of 5 problem children.

I feel the teachers are doing as much as they can considering the number of children they have in the classroom. I do not feel that there is enough parent involement as needed. I read all the complaints about the school but how many parents are doing anything to improve it? There are so many ways to help and they don't all take numerous hours to accomplish. As far as the bullying goes, how about coming to school to help with the recesses. I also have to say our principal is doing everything a human can do for the kids, what more could we ask of her? If the classrooms were smaller a lot of problems with this school would dissapear.

I have really tried to find all the positives from this school, however the negative and unaddressed issues out-weigh the positives by far. I feel that the core of this educational facility does not have a student centered focus. Some teachers do exhibit this character trait however as a whole they do not. I see bullying as a huge issue! Some drastic change is desperatly needed in order to prepare the youth of this low socio-econimic community and school to survive in the world. I can't think of a better opportunity to start this transformation than in the school! Meanwhile, I'm considering requesting a transfer from this district until some drastic changes have been made.

I have been considering moving but have not because of the school system here. My childrens teachers always call with updates on my children, they want parents to be involved. We do have the normal issues that ALL school have, such as bullies, but if dealt with the right way, it can be handled quickly and easily. If you are an active parent and you take the time to go in to the school, hang out in your childs class, have lunch with them, be there before and after school, you will see that the staff is very involved and do their absolute best to care for our children. It is also OUR job as parents tobe involved and make sure our children are doing their part.. Such as homework, excerting effort, etc. This is the only problem I have had and I have 3 children in this school

they are not meeting my sons' pace with learning, frustrating sports system

I think too many students fall between the cracks. Staff is overwhelmed, and cannot deal with children. children do get left behind. Bullying is a problem that doesn't seem to ever get resolved. If you can find something alternative, I encourage you to.

Last modified Faulconer-Chapman School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.