Public charter
Sheridan, OR
After care: No

Posted January 23, 2014
Sheridan Japanese Scholl is the best!! I feel blessed to send my Child to his second family each and every day.... He has gained so much from his seven years at SJS. The academics are outstanding and his education includes respect, giving back, interaction with younger kids, and teaching by example... This school is one of a kind it is truly a gift to and honor to have my child be part of the wonder life as a SJS student. Thank you to all staff for all the longer hours and love you give to our children every day. You are the best, and we as parents are honored to have you in our children s life as their mentors, teachers and friends.

Posted January 11, 2014
I am currently a senior at the Sheridan Japanese School and I couldn't tell you enough how wonderful this school is! The best part of SJS is the teacher and student interaction. While students at larger schools have issues with getting comprehensive, and in-depth recommendation letters, or help after school, that is not the case here. The teachers truly know students and are willing to push them to be the best people - and students - they can be, both in school, and outside in the community. I have attended the Sheridan Japanese School since middle school, and I am awed by the faculty, students, and staff every single day that I attend.

Posted January 08, 2014
This is my ninth and final year with the Sheridan Japanese School - I am what they call "A Survivor", the title could not be more true. This school has low funding, pushes each students to their academic breaking point, and the discipline is very strict. Needless to say, the last nine years have been terribly amazing. The teachers, the director, the students all work so hard and well together that this school really is exactly what is emphasized in it's vision: We are a family. Numerous students who have graduated in past years have explained to me that they truly miss this school and everything I have mentioned thus far, and I wish that through the last nine years I had appreciated my time here a little more.

Posted February 19, 2013
I am an educational researcher and have a profound respect for the teachers and administrator at SJS. I have reviewed their data, visited the school, and spoke with parents, teachers, and students. I would hardly say it is a "diamond in the rough", but rather a diamond mine, producing multi-faceted, extremely well educated, passionate, community-serving diamonds. The data from the fourth grade are not impressive, simply because (I suspect) the students are entering fourth grade from the traditional public school system. Over the years, with support from the SJS team, the scores increase into the 90th percentile. It came to my attention that SJS has one of the highest test scores in the state or OR. If quantitative measures like test scores don't impress you, the school is programs and structure are designed to build character, humility, and respect for others. The students are required to perform community service, instilling the importance of giving back to the community, a quality extremely rare in public schools. The only unfortunate thing I found was that only 88 students can attend, a number that should be increased because they have proved their worth.

Posted January 11, 2013
This school is a diamond in the rough, even through low funding the school thrives.

Posted March 04, 2011
I commented in 2010 when my daughter was in her 3rd year at SJS. I'm commenting now because I didn't see any 2011 comments. My daughter is now in her 4th year at SJS. She still LOVES the school. The school seems to be on track for continuous improvement. It just keeps getting better and better. BTW - 5 stars isn't enough for the 'Principal'/Executive Director. She deserves waaaayyy more than that.

Posted December 04, 2010
Really great place to send your child to school. I don't think there is a better school in the county.

Posted April 28, 2010
I am a student at the Sheridan Japanese School and I have enjoyed all my years here! The teachers help you not only succeed academically but succeed personally. The teachers are wonderful but there is a high turnover rate. This school is especially wonderful for elementary and middle grades

Posted April 27, 2010
Very positive!!! My child loves school and is very proud of where he attends school.

Posted April 27, 2010
SJS provides the most committed and engaged school atmosphere I have ever had any contact with. Our son thrives in this environment and has exceeded our wildest dreams as far as school is concerned. The staff make the school what it is and I am grateful for each one of them.

Sheridan Japanese School
430 SW Monroe St, Sheridan, OR  97378
Last modified Sheridan Japanese School is a Charter school that serves grades 4-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sheridan Japanese School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top