Bad
Good

My oldest child attended kindergarten and Middleton and we had the best experience. She was in all-day kindergarten, which probably made the difference in being exposed to more learning opportunities. During the year she learned how to read, handle difficult math questions and solve problems. Socially she became more confident thanks to a strong, loud teacher. The opportunities for music class and computer lab are great.. We were so glad to have our daughter attend the school, even if just for a year.

I had an all together different experience with the kindergarten program at Middleton. While my daughter did attend 2 years of preschool prior to attending Middleton I realize that this is a luxury some can not afford. I believe the teacher did a wonderful job of integrating teaching socialization to those that had not been in classroom environment before while also nurturing those that had. Our child's class size was what I expected from a community that people flock to for the best rated schools. Our daughter came out of kindergarten reading, writing well and feeling confident in her abilities. I have yet to meet anyone working in this school who does not give 110% to their job.

As the school year ends we are very disappointed with the 1/2 day kinder program. We have heard 1st grade gets better so we are hoping for a better teacher and academic program next year. We will be sending our younger child to private kindergarten.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the posting about kindergarten. The 1/2 day program is less rigorous than the preschool my child attended. The teacher/student ratio is very high in that class. In general, teachers and admin do very little to support kids who are ahead. Parent suggestions that will provide extra enrichment for a child, at no cost, are shut down because they don't meet "policy." It is extremely frustrating to watch an advanced child make little progress because the school won't provide ideas, enrichment, support, or suggestions to help that child succeed. Among the positives; wonderful music teacher, librarian, PE and technology programs. The facilities are newer and well thought out. Great parent involvement and community support for the school. Some classroom teachers are top notch and really care about their students.

If you have kindergarten age children I would strongly recommend paying the $350/month for full day kindergarten. It seemed silly to me that our neighbors were doing this, even the ones with one parent staying home. After a short time at Middleton we see why, the 1/2 day program is similar to a play group only with almost 30 children and one teacher compared to the 12:1 ratio our kids had in preschool. The full day kids have a smaller group and a full time aid combined with a great, energetic teacher which is providing them with so much more of an actual school experience than the 1/2 day kids.

Parents at this school are very involved and work with their kids at home. Most kids come to this school knowing what they need to both academically and socially. The teachers I have experienced here seem to do the minimum knowing parents will pick up the slack. My child's teacher talks about her large class sizes and need for help constantly.

I noticed the only reviews posted are from 2006. Since a new elementary school has been built in our area, class sizes have dropped dramatically. That was my only concern back when my son attended Middleton. My daughter starts kindergarten next year and I'm very please with the new class sizes.

Last modified Middleton Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.