Guy Lee Elementary School 1

Posted September 20, 2013
Unprofessional. Mrs. Carter is quite inappropriate in her language and actions towards children. Principle is ineffective in addressing parental complaints.

Posted September 16, 2013
The current principal is outstanding. She has made wonderful improvements in motivating teachers to change for the better. New staff each year have been assets in the team effort & focus upon making the school shine in educational advances & the condition of the school. 2012-present - Students encounter friendly & upbeat encouragement from teachers & support staff. Custodian is fun & seeks to build positive relationship with them. Interior walls have fresh paint in 2012 & Guy Lee is unique in the district with having a strong 'Green Team' of 4th/5th graders. They are a 'Merit' level Oregon Green School & have a 66% recovery rate of discarded waste. They are the only elementary in the district who have successfully implemented composting of all breakfast/lunch food & paper waste as well as restroom paper towels. - 'Sanipac'. Guy Lee is first to pilot a 'Green Partnership Schools' program in Springfield. (1 or 5 in the county) Note: Recent test scores are better than Elizabeth Page Elementary - rated a 6.

Guy Lee Elementary School 4

Posted January 04, 2012
I do have to say that there is no volunteer favoritism that I saw in the year and a half that I was there. If you are available to volunteer they will take all the time you are willing to give. While there, there were about 5 or 6 volunteers that were there on a regular basis and they were always clamering for more help to no avail. If you want to volunteer, go and do it, don't wait for someone to call you. I do have to say that now they have a new Principal I am hopeful that things will change and there will be more involvement.

Posted November 20, 2011
Well, now the whole state and country is recognizing Guy Lee for what it really is: A Distinguished School. If you haven't read in the paper, or seen on the news, Guy Lee was one of only 2 schools in Oregon, and 100 in the nation to receive this prestigious award from the Department of Education. Despite their high levels of poverty, the staff and students managed to make huge gains on their state tests. So even though this site and some misinformed parents may rate it low based on numbers taken out of context and personal biases, the fact is that this school is an award winning school, recognized for it's contribution to "Closing the Achievement Gap". Check it out for yourself: http://www.sps.lane.edu/sps/cwp/view.asp?A=3&Q=279191

Posted October 13, 2011
I was shocked, too! First, I was shocked to see the bad reviews, but then I was shocked that the person with poor conventions and grammar skills ("lady if you volunteer...") could claim to be such an authority as to what goes on in this school. Sixty kids leaving, huh? Wow! Did you pull that number out of your behind? How in the world did you decide that? Teachers are not telling you that your kids are falling behind, huh? I highly doubt that and I have never found that to be the case. If it's "too late" for your child then you have failed them as a parent! If my child fell behind, I would consider it an opportunity to work with them to get them up to speed and examine the reason they fell behind in the first place. Simply blaming the teacher and stating it's "too late" for them would not be an option in my household. Finally, as far as volunteer favoritism is concerned, I'm going to go out on a limb here and deduce that you are not being given the duties that involve working with others because you lack the intellectual capacity or people skills to do so.

Guy Lee Elementary School 1

Posted October 11, 2011
I was shocked to see bad reviews of Guy Lee! lady if you volunteer at this school for yourself you would not only hear it from the kids but see it yourself how bad the last principal has ruined this school. this year about 60 students transferred to other schools because of the bullying problem has gotten so out of hand. I god hope that Nikki turns the place around but that will take time and the staff need to do their job in stopping it. and for the past 3 years they haven't. the favortism in the family when it comes to certain volunteers is a joke. teachers are not telling us when our kids fall way behind in school until it's too late. that is not my idea of a good school.

Posted October 07, 2011
Two very different kids, one great school! My two kids are like night and day. My son is very energetic, impulsive and not the easiest person to keep organized. He also struggles in reading. On the other hand, my daughter is a total bookworm, is neat to a fault, and excels in every subject. This is our third year at Guy Lee and I'm happy to report that both my children are doing great. My daughter is being sufficiently challenged and my son's teachers have been great in helping his reading and behavior. Also, their new principal is great. She seems very kind and welcoming to parent volunteers.

Posted October 02, 2011
I was shocked to see bad reviews of Guy Lee! Everyone I know loves this school. My niece went there and my son will go there when he's old enough. They're always having family nights and free events, like movie night. My niece's teacher came to one of her soccer games. The people that are saying these bad things about this school are crazy! No offense, but maybe it's you, not them.

Posted October 02, 2011
It's an old building, but a good school. The staff is nice and my kids like it there.

Posted October 01, 2011
I went there and now my daughter goes there. Every teacher has been wonderful. You can tell they care about kids.

Guy Lee Elementary School
755 Harlow Rd, Springfield, OR  97477
Last modified Guy Lee Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Guy Lee Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top