Durham Elementary School 5

Posted December 06, 2013
Durham ES in Tigard is a fine school. I can't claim it is the best, because that is yet to be seen. But I am impressed with some classrooms use of technology. Teachers have been able to individualize growth in learning via ipads. Regarding math, teachers do traditional classroom pencil and paperwork daily. And follow up with kids spending time on the ipads for practice math, students who excel can move on to difficult levels and those who need more practice can get more without peers knowing. I appreciate the different reading levels but still feel that there is a wide range of ability in the levels. Regardless, my first grader can read Chronicles of Narnia, which I didn't read till 4th grade. I don't know if I am stupid or if the teachers here are just that in tuned to the students. There are a variety of teachers and teaching styles to meet the different needs of kids. I haven't had a bad teacher yet. I also haven't had a I "absolutely love her" teacher either. The teachers are competent. Some are more down to business, structured, and strict with high expectations on behavior. Some are more loving and honoring of the child personality.

Durham Elementary School 5

Posted June 20, 2013
My child has thrived at Durham Elementary. Along with excellent teachers they have great music and P.E. programs.

Durham Elementary School 2

Posted April 13, 2013
I have had contact with the office staff at Durham and another elementary school in Tigard-Tualatin School District, and I am disappointed with the staff at Durham. They are unfriendly, and less than helpful.

Durham Elementary School 3

Posted October 17, 2009

Posted August 24, 2008
My son just completed kindergarten and he loved it. His teacher was amazing and he progressed a lot under her direction. they have a nice new playground, wonderful music teacher, and a new principal who seems to be doing a great job.

Posted February 21, 2008

Posted September 07, 2006
My son is in the 5th great and he transfered over from a private catholic school. The school is great and he loves his new teacher but I was a bit disappointed with the school work and homework. The assignments he is doing is what he did in 3rd and 4th grade at the private school. My son says he is bored. I think they should raise the academic bar and offset some of the school work with more challanging items.

Posted June 19, 2006
My daughter just finished Kindergarten at this school and we were pleased with it overall. There were family fun nights held regularly throughtout the year, and plenty of parent involvement in the classroom. Lots of ethnic diversity at this school.

Posted June 28, 2005
I had 3 children attend this school. There is a wonderful volunteer effort by parents and others in the community. Most of the teachers there were exceptional. I would like to see more of a focus on classical learning, less wasted time, more creativity and willingness to challenge different kinds of learners. There was an awful lot of 'busy work'-type homework, which was somewhat disappointing. They have a wonderful music teacher there and overall, it is a great school.

Durham Elementary School
7980 SW Durham Rd, Tigard, OR  97224
Last modified Durham Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Durham Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews.