No rating

Horizon Christian Elementary & Middle School

Private | PK-8 | 350 students

Living in Tualatin

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $283,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $910.

Posted May 29, 2014

If sports is more important to you then education the horizon is the place for you. I attended horizon and at first loved it but then realized that they took at least 10 mins out of each class to talk about sports not a good education!!!! I came here to get a better education. Also they only have 12 computer and not enough desks for every student. I suggest to you do. Or go her!

Posted April 4, 2014

The students are loved and know it, it's educationally strong, and doesn't feel like many private schools, my kids don't feel like they have to keep up with the "Jones' ".

Posted September 14, 2013

With about 320 students, our impact is big. The mission of school is not only to educate the minds but to ignite the hands and heart to do good. Look for opportunities to help others. Our principal has a steady flow of kids entering her office to set up school wide service projects in our area and abroad. From leaf cleaning the yards of neighboring homes, collecting stuff animals for foster kids, to raising money for wells in Africa. It's amazing what can be accomplished when you have a community of people with a big heart for others. Last year Horizon initiated over fifty projects. The rippling affect of that is huge. I am so great full my kids will be educated in a community of selflessness.

Posted September 10, 2013

Our son just started Kindergarten at Horizon and is absolutely loving it - so much that he woke up early on a Saturday to get his backpack ready for Monday. The teachers are amazing. I appreciate getting update emails directly from his teacher on a daily basis. I also enjoy the parent participation within the school. It is a great environment and I am excited to have my children grow up surrounded by such positive influences.

Posted September 9, 2013

My son transferred to HCS from public school the middle of last year. Instantly his attitude, demeanor and confidence improved. The teachers and administration made him feel important, empowered and loved. We are so happy with our decision and are looking forward to another great school year.

Posted September 9, 2013

Being a part of the Horizon Christian School family has been a confidence building, character building and educationally challenging experience for my kids. They are learning how to play a part in supporting the community, locally and globally - they are developing a sense of responsibility and a love for others. And they are growing beyond current educational standards - So thankful we found Horizon! I would recommend this school to anyone. The people here aren't perfect, but we join together in pursuit of excellence.

Posted September 9, 2013

My daughter is starting her 3rd year at Horizon (2nd grade) and our son is in Kindergarten. The campus is beautiful, the staff is very friendly and so far I have been pleased with the curriculum. In addition to the core subjects students have music, PE, art, Spanish and chapel.

Posted June 9, 2011

Simply put-search elsewhere for a private school. God has left the building. This place is an example of hollow Christianity. Yes the kids do outreaches but the point of sending your kids to a Christian school is to train them up in the way they should go which is with God not the world's system. Perfect example of lukewarm Christianity or that of a church which used to be great but has fallen from grace because of poor leadership and scandal. Parents are involved but it's a popularity contest; car line is social hour; principal and her decisions are not respected & ignored by parents and staff; academics are not a high a priority despite other reviews; student to student behavior is poor. Parents keep your mouth shut, play the popularity games of high school, don't state your opinions and your kids won't be ostracized. Disappointed, saddened, enraged & left feeling empty and ripped off. Don't send your kids here. Give them a better education and more of God from ANY Catholic school, Portland Jewish Academy, Jesuit, West Hills Christian, Portland Christian, or Portland Lutheran. Go anywhere else, even public school but not here please.

Posted March 9, 2011

My daughter went to this school for 9 years and was at the top of her class. We were happy with the school until we moved and when she was tested for placement at her new school she tested well below grade level in math and science. We were disappointed to discover that this is the case with most students who transfer from there.

Posted January 26, 2011

I've sent four of my children through this system, with the youngest two going through the high school as well. I'm very pleased with the education they have been provided and my older two have had success into the college experiences. The younger two are still in high school (older two went to public since the school only went through 8th grade at the time). Their success has been better (based on SAT scores) than the older two.

Posted January 20, 2011

I have kids in both 2nd and 4th grade and am so delighted with the variety of opportunities that Horizon Christian offers the kids. Drama, music, lego club, community service opportunities, and the I-smart program is amazing. My daughter is picture and music smart and receives her instruction best through music and drawing. Her teachers have identified her talent, and daily nurture her instruction with all academics through modes that she flourishes within. The school recently combined with Horizon Christian High School's Spring musical and cast kids from the Elementary and Middle school campus to be in the musical. Spiritual formation and biblical truths are brought to life every day. The embrace their tag line of "Bringing LIFE to Learning!.

Posted December 15, 2010

I attended this school for my middle school and elementary school years. I have found that a the other students at Horizon are very undisciplined and that unruly behavior is encouraged. I went on to go to Westside Christian for highschool and would like to note that if education is more important than athletics then I'd suggest you invest in sending your child to Westside. Westside has had average SAT that is in the top 5% of all highschools in America and I am very confident that Westside will prepare me better for College than Horizon ever did for high school. Also my friends who have graduated from Horizon have struggled the first term of college due to the major step up in expectations, while my Westside classmates rarelly struggle and are adequately equiped for all challenges they would face in college.

Posted July 20, 2010

All three of my children attend the elementary campus. We are going on our 5th year. They scored high on their SAT's (mostly 8's, 9's stanines). As a parent I can view Edline at anytime to track their performance daily. Any issues that came up were responded to promptly. There is a purpose from the leaders to grow our children in godly character. They are encouraged to exercise their spiritual walk. We've experienced two other well known Christian schools in which the spiritual emphasis was not held to this high of degree. The culture is one of the best where families become best of friends. The only thing that would benefit the organization is having a full fine arts department and more after school clubs.

Posted August 12, 2009

Sending me to HCHS was the best thing my parents ever did for me. I was failing in every area of my life and found myself in a place were teachers, coaches and students work together as a team! Some students don't like to work or be part of a team....it was just what I needed.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 23, 2009

We have been at Horizon for three years and used to attend another well known private school. In comparison, this school has a strong academic program, excellent values and a heart to see students succeed. The heart of the leaders is what sets this school apart from the others. We have found any personal concerns of our children were handled with great care and some teachers were able to adjust to our needs. The 2009 - 2010 school year will bring a new season of administrators of which I can say the organization will surely be blessed with. The Elementary school now has an active parent committee that has been a positive asset and a sense of community is alive. HCES has also started these family fun nights that focus on particular subjects. They have been a blast and have given hands on experiential learning. We plan to stay until 2018!

Posted January 26, 2009

Horizon Christian Elementary School has exceeded our expectations in every way. Both of our children are thriving in the safe, nurturing environment that Horizon creates. The high level of academics challenges the students in a wonderful way while the teachers help to demonstrate Christ-like character traits every day. Horizon is the best investment that we can give our children. Our kids thank us constantly for the opportunity to attend HCES and say that they would never want to go to any other school. We as parents feel that in todays society of crumbling values and personal responsibility, Horizon sets the bar very high!

Posted December 11, 2008

After many years of searching, this school is and was a answer to prayer. The teachers are interested in each child and their cirriculum is challenging. I have enrolled all 3 children and been so pleased. This has and been the right place.

Posted November 4, 2008

There is no better place to learn. Both of my children have learned so much. It's nice to see a school that focuses on faith as much as they do on education.

Posted June 12, 2008

Horizon has exceeded our expectations. Horizon is a Christian school first and foremost. Many Christian school are so hard academically not all students can make it there. Horizon fits many level of students. The sports are great and many sports are offered for such a small school.

Posted June 10, 2008

I have attended this school for many years in both the middle school and elementary school. The teachers at horizon are completely oblivious to what students are actually doing; Students make fun of each other all the time, but the tecers dont catch it because they r using made up words that mean really nasty and insulting things. Many children at this school get made fun of constantly. The education and extracurricular activities are great though.
—Submitted by a student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Dr. Robert Tinnin, Superintendent of Schools
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Assembly of god
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious