West Linn, OR
Students enrolled: 1,508

Posted April 05, 2014
West Linn High has been a wonderful experience for my 9th grader. We relocated from Washington and chose this area for the schools and he is doing exceptional! Kudos to all involved at this school

Posted March 19, 2014
The West Linn-Wilsonville School District has an 'open library' plan in which a library without walls sits at the center of every school. Study areas with lots of computers radiate off the library at WLHS and classrooms surround each of those study areas on three sides. It's a relaxing, sensible plan with no long scary halls to traverse. It seems like the openness of the building affects the staff here, as I find the teachers, students and administrators at WLHS to be very open, friendly, and enthusiastic. The principal, Lou Bailey, communicates with parents regularly via emailed newsletters and teachers respond promptly to emailed messages from parents. My kids go in early or stay late for help from teachers, whenever they feel the need, so I can tell that the teachers make themselves available. Bottom line: I like Wlhs, I've had my kids in a total of nine schools in four states over many years and I know a good school when I see one. As far as test scores, AP classes, etc. just check the web site.

West Linn High School 3

Posted September 06, 2013
Overall, this school is a circus. For the academically focused students there are a lot of opportunities and great teachers. The average student floats through with inflated grades (look at the number of "honor grads") while the administration pays lip service to helping the struggling students, but there are no programs to actually help them in any meaningful way or get them experience toward anything useful after they leave high school. There are few rules, no consequences and subsequently the student body as a whole has little respect for the building. Walk the halls after lunch and you'll get an idea. Students and staff that come from other schools as well as foreign exchange students are shocked at the things that are allowed to happen here on a daily basis. I and many other former staff members are glad to have left and work at a "real" school again where all students have opportunities, not just the college bound, and there is structure and discipline in place. The students have fun while they're here, but are they actually learning?

Posted November 21, 2011
WLHS is a great, well rounded school. The academics are outstanding, the athletics are pretty good (for being a public school), the teachers and staff are very effective and helpful. The teachers actually care, and the staff take care of everything. Cliques exist. But they exist everywhere. The only thing is, there's a lot of racial tension towards some students, being that hispanics/ african americans/ orientals, ect. are a minority. However, all kids seem to find their way and be happy. The course loads can be challenging, which is great. Many classes are offered. The sports coaches are overall great. Just watch out for the girls basketball coach, he doesnt let you play multiple sports. (or at least he doesnt want you to)Theis school will prepare you very well for college! It is quite a textbook high school, which is great. However, it still stands out.

Posted January 14, 2011
Yes, West Linn High School is rich, has some cliques, and the school is very demanding. It's also the best school I have ever attended. Most of the students just are not that wealthy. And above all, most of the students are caring, fun and intellectual people. Cliques exist but I would not consider them important or prevalent. As for being a tough school, I find this a blessing. Never before have I been so challenged. Never before have I accomplished so much. The school prepares its students for success and the focus is where it should be: on the learning. If families are worried about the school being too hard, they should not be. The staff is both friendly and accessible. They are willing to do whatever it takes to help us and they put forth enormous amounts of effort. There is free tutoring every day as well. Overall, the school is challenging without being impossible. It is truly a top-notch school. Out of all the schools in the greater Portland area, West Linn High School is at the top. I am so grateful to all the wonderful teachers, administrators, staff and students who help make West Linn High School what it is today. I am so lucky to have received such a super education.

Posted September 24, 2008
I'm a student at this school and i love the 'family' enviornment of close friends, teachers, and administration. Lots of support from people who really care about students' futures.

Posted June 18, 2007
I'm actually not a parent, and in fact, I attend this school right now. I'm a sophomore at WLHS, and Im eternally grateful to my parents for sending me to this high school. The teachers are all engaging, smart, and willing to help if you get off track. Free tutoring is constantly available and easily used, and any student that attends can find friends and others who accept them. I almost never see cliques that exclude or make fun of other people, and if they exist, the cliques themselves aren't considered cool or fun to hang out with. I would personally recommend attending this school to anyone. The teachers, students, buildings, music and arts, sports, etc. are all top-notch, spectacular.

Posted April 07, 2006
I thought the academic programs were excellent. I went to Lincolon High School in Porltand which is supposed to be a great academic school and it is, but I thought West Linn was just as good if not better. Great school with unbelievable teachers that you can connect with on a personnel level. Great atmoshphere and sports as well. One of the nicest high schools in the state building wise as well. Great place to go to high school, wish everyone could experience it. Tyler Kelleher

West Linn High School 4

Posted January 30, 2006
I went to West Linn High School for four years, as did five of my siblings. The School has strong accademic courses and programs that are tailored to the individual student. The newly remodeled campus is wonderful - Great library, common areas, and classrooms. Excellent sports programs are available too.

West Linn High School 2

Posted October 27, 2005
West Linn High school is probably one of the toughest public shcools in the united states. I have to say i have never seen the principal in my entire time at west linn. The staff has no control of the kids. the place is filled with drugs and stuff. Although it has its bads its goods come in academics i guess. I moved from a poor school and when i moved hear my straight A's have turned into Straight F's. If your daughter our son has moved from a small town with a ok to bad school then avoid any West Linn school at all. In the Untied states were about half a year to a year ahead of other schools and its very diffucult. Overall theres amazing extracurricular programs and we have a great football team (most of the time). Just stay away from West linn if you can

West Linn High School
5464 West A St, West Linn, OR  97068
Last modified West Linn High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West Linn High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top