Your child and technology: what your first grader needs to know
When first graders use technology in the classroom, they start to use a keyboard; master terms like menu, file, save, and quit; and even learn to navigate the web.
By GreatSchools Staff
Tools of the grade
Your first grader may have one or more computer workstations in the classroom, visit a computer lab once a week, or have no access to computers at all. If your child's class does use technology to support learning, here are the tools you might expect to find:
- Educational software that reinforces reading and math skills
- Multimedia encyclopedias and dictionaries
- Digital camera
- Video camera
- Interactive story books on a computer
- One computer or more with access to the Internet and a printer
- Large-screen display connected to a computer
- An interactive whiteboard
- One tablet or more
Even if your child's class has little more than a computer and printer, there’s no need to panic. The skills a first grader needs can be taught using basic high-tech tools.