Your child and technology: what your second grader needs to know
Your second grader will learn to use technology tools like email and simple graphing software.
By GreatSchools Staff
Tools of the second grade
Your second grader may have one or more computer workstations in the classroom, visit a computer lab once a week, or may not use technology regularly at all. If your child's class does use technology to support learning, here are the tools you might expect to find:
- Educational software that reinforces reading and math skills
- Multimedia encyclopedias and dictionaries
- Digital camera
- Video camera
- Interactive story books on a computer
- One computer or more with access to the Internet and a printer
- Large-screen display connected to a computer
- An interactive whiteboard
- One tablet or more
Even if your child's class has little more than a computer and printer, there’s no need to panic. The skills a second grader needs can be taught using these basic tech tools.