K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I have 2 children at Alpha School. The school has excellent engaging academics plus an incredibly nurturing environment where my kids are gaining confidence, curiosity and a sense of responsibility to others. They LOVE going to school. They have PE 2x a week including weekly swim lessons, Robotics, computers, Spanish, Art and Music in addition to great innovative curriculum for other subjects.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

The Principal knows each child and family and is committed to the excellence of the school and the well being of all the students. She seems to have a great relationship with the staff and faculty and is an effective leader.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Alpha School has helped my kids think about their responsibility to others around them and their whole community.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Teachers have small classes and so can be really in tune with each child's needs and communicate with parents.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Homework is appropriate and designed to build confidence in the skills they are learning in the classroom.

I am a mom of two current students in Alpha. One child in the 1st grade and one child in kindergarten. We toured almost every Catholic school in the area before we made our choice. Alpha was low on our list because we thought it might be a stretch for our family to afford. We took a leap of faith and I am overjoyed at our decision! My children have dramatically different personalities and learning paces. Both of them have excelled academically but I am most impressed with the development of character. The one on one attention they have received has allowed them to blossom as individuals. My son who is a slow learner and a sensitive soul has gone from not knowing his alphabet to reading and writing sentences in just a few months. He comes home happy and full of conversation about what he is learning. They move at their own paces. No more disappointment that someone else is doing better than him. My daughter is excelling in all avenues. I feel they are safe and loved there. I love the staff and the principal. I can't say enough about this amazing school!! We have never looked back! WORTH EVERY PENNY!

My child is entering the 7th grade this year. We have been parents in this school for 8 years overall. An outstanding environment that still manages to provide a catholic platform with an academy feel for academics. 15:1 student teacher ratios, differentiation for math and reading, consistently strong terra nova scores, and successful integration of technology into the environment. All students, pre-K through 8th attend specials classes and science is handled as an individual subject from the very beginning. A pool for swim class, a private chapel for weekly mass, 2 robotics rooms, a computer room, a music program, a regulation sized gym, and this year they launch an accelerated reader program with a designated teacher. This school is value for money every time. My son is the very best version of himself in this environment. I don't have to check his planner, prompt or push him to get work done, or set expectations. He is already preparing for PJAS and school hasn't even started yet! His Terra Nova scores and independent assessments place him ahead in all areas. I encourage you to weigh the adult posts on this site against the student posts on this site and check the school out.

To be completely honest, this school is a major misconception. All of the parents love it because of the class size and religious approach, but as a former student, this school nearly ruined my life. For one, the social environment is second to none awful. The small class size may be nice, but it really does not make that much of a difference. Instead, this size forces a student to have all of his/her classes with the same group of students. There is also an attitude that goes along with the students there. I noticed in school that about 95% of the students in my grade had an arrogance and annoyance that by 7th grade year, I couldn't stand anymore. Now that I attend a public school, I love it. There are so many more options. Now to the academics. The math program is a year behind. All of the children take pre-algebra in 7th grade and algebra 1 in 8th. Some may say this is a good thing, but I am one of the few students in my grade who could not take algebra 2 freshman year, because geometry comes first. The English program is strong, however. The middle school teachers are Mr. Tambellini and Mr. Beacham. Both are excellent. Mrs. Cessar is an amazing science teacher. I am very well prepared for my Honors Biology course. Now this is where it gets bad. The Spanish program is declining rapidly, the technology is sub-par, social studies is notoriously bad, and the gym teacher is not liked by most students and parents. The religion program is a mess. The classes are absolutely pointless and the religious approach on behavior has really become a point to laugh at. The Principal and administration are extremely weak and trigger happy. As soon as one minor issue occurs, major changes are made in discipline and procedures. If ten parents or more complain about a certain thing, it is certain to change. That's just how Alpha does it. The Principal is embarrassing also. She put the "5 P Words" in place to help with behavior issues in the school when there were none, she treats the upperclassmen like they are toddlers, and she has no respect for anyone's time or beliefs. Nobody likes her either. Here's a statistic: one summer, 9 teachers left the school and 2 resigned midway through the next school year. For a school with about 180 total students and 25 total teachers, that is almost 2/5 of the staff. This school has issues.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Obvious positives: Doug Beacham - English, Bradly Tambellini - English, Linda Cessar - Science. Some major disappointments especially in Science, Math, and Social Studies.

Develops character: Neutral

There are obvious faults in the system, but also some positives. The "5 P Words" are simply hilarious to look at. They teach nothing. I still can't remember them and I went to school there for 8 years.

Last modified Providence Heights Alpha School is a Private school that serves grades K-8