Posted November 21, 2010
This an exceptional Catholic School where the students are nurtured from the moment they step through the doors until they graduate at 8th Grade. You get the feeling that you are visiting an old relative's home rather than an institution and that family atmosphere seems to carry on in every aspect of the school day.

Posted July 10, 2008
I went to St Johns after I was in an awful car accident. I was in a coma for a month. And my family was told that I would never be 'normal' again. But thanks to St Johns and all the teachers that care so much about there students, people look at me and they don't know. At St Johns I was pushed everyday to do my best. And I did that. Not only did people think that I wouldn't ever be normal but who knew I'd go to College? These people work mircales everyday. Take time to thank them and appereicate them.

Posted March 17, 2008
I have two children at St. John's and will have another child attending next school year. I can not tell you how much the staff at St. John's cares for each and every child. Yes, these kids are very fortunate to be consistently ahead academically, but even more importantly, they are truly cared for as individuals! Because St. John's is such a small school every teacher knows each child and his/her family. There is a great deal of communication between the parents and the teachers...you always know what is going on with your child. We at St. John's are such a close 'family' and whatever needs done, someone steps up...every time! What impresses me the most is the teachers! Every one of them is completely dedicated to our children and put in any extra time necessary! You will not find a better school for your children that St.

Posted March 15, 2008
We have a son in 4th grade at St. John's. We couldn't be more pleased with the quality of his teachers, the principal, and his overall education. Teachers and staff at this school truly care about every child and his/her family. I believe that one of the main reasons that this school has consistently produced some of the highest acheiving students at Bishop Guilfoyle HS is because of it's continued focus on the fundamentals. Unlike certain local public schools who spend time and money on things like ISO certifications and daycare for students who've had babies, St. John's puts its money into proven traditional educational goals - Write effectively, speak intelligently, understand the principals of math, and think logically. Also, respect and honesty are infused in the cirricula, not a special 'track' like at some schools. It is just expected (kind of like life) and the kids experience that everyday.

Posted March 15, 2008
My son has been going to St. John's since 3rd grade. For the record, I am not Catholic, but I chose this school for the simple fact that it was small, loving, and had a highly committed teacher staff, not to mention the advanced education offered. My son had learning challenges that could have been handled in a public school quite differently. St. John's teacher's saw his potential and worked with outside specialists to take on the challenge and use the knowledge learned with children similar to my son. THANK YOU staff and Principal, Gary Evangelisto, for standing by my son and by us as parents to help him succeed. St. John's will be missed, but never forgotten!

Posted March 15, 2008
We have 2 children at St. Johns with our 3rd entering Kindergarten next year. We are extremely satisfied with our decision to send our children to this school. Our children are surrounded by teachers and staff who we feel genuinely care about about them as individuals. This is a real family environment-We are always kept up to date with their progress and daily situations. Our children are not only learning academics-they are learning to be kind and respectful people.

Posted March 15, 2008
Being a member of the staff of St. John's School has been such a wonderful experience. To me, going to school is not like going to work at all; I enjoy each day there. It's wonderful to work in an environment where I get the support of the pastor and principal. The parents have been terrific too. We work side-by-side often to benefit the children. And it's fun, too! The students are the absolute best. Since our school is small, we really get a chance to know each student and family. This atmosphere brings out the best in everybody. The worst part of my job as teacher in grades 7 - 8 is when the students graduate. It's tough to see such wonderful young people leave St. John's, but they come back to visit! I also keep in touch with families at church on the weekends.

Posted March 15, 2008
As a teacher at St. John's, I can honestly say that this is the most rewarding job I've ever had! The staff and principal are very supportive and knowledgeable. I have never known such a great group of people always willing to go the extra mile, do the extra work, stay an extra hour. The parents and kids are fantastic and make me glad that I chose teaching as a profession. I'm so blessed to be working at such a well run Christian school.

Posted February 16, 2008
I am very satisfied with this school. I have a pre-k student. I have been kept informed of everything that is goin on. Even on the most trivial days. The teachers main goal is success to every one of her students and she is determined to do everything that she can. I am grateful to have that kind of determination for my child and want to thank her.

Posted April 04, 2007
I am very glad I choose St. John's for my children. I have 3 children at St. John's and I love the uniforms, weekly mass, family involvement, music and art classes, Pre-K program and academics. Although some parents do not like 2 grades in one classroom, I find the continuity of instruction, small class size and mentoring to be very beneficial. I highly recommend this school to others.

St John The Evangelist School
311 Lotz Avenue, Altoona, PA  16602
Last modified St John The Evangelist School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St John The Evangelist School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top