Lehigh Valley Chs For Performing Arts

Charter | 9-12 | 446 students

Living in Bethlehem

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $145,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $910.

Posted Tuesday, October 21, 2014

I enjoyed my education at Charter Arts as I was able to spend time with passionate students and teachers who understood my love for my art as well as my core classes. All of my teachers are hard working and passionate about the subject they teach. The only disappointment I have experienced is the administration. They become very frantic at simple issues. If you are having a problem at the school, it is best to go to your guidance counselor and they will fix it quickly. Although I am not going to be pursuing my art in the future, I am glad I attended this school and I'm very happy with all the opportunities it has brought me.

Posted March 28, 2014

I am a sophomore at The Lehigh Valley Charter High School for the Arts(Charts) and I must say, I have had a wonderful experience. Since I transferred to Charts, my average grades have gone up two letter marks, thanks to the fantastic teachers. The staff, both in arts and academics, are dedicated and enthusiastic, and motivate each individual to express themselves in positive ways, and strive for greatness in more than just their arts. Charter Arts, contrary to popular belief, DOES indeed have academic courses that are required for graduation, and are intellectually stimulating and informative. The over qualified staff keep students in line, and help to prepare them for the real world. I love my school, and would never even dream of going back to my old school. In fact, I have nightmares about it!

Posted March 7, 2014

My daughter is a freshman this year and absolutely loves her new school! She is finally able to be herself without the fear of being judged or bullied. She loves the theater department and is also taking AP courses that are very challenging, but she has been balancing both very well. I would encourage parents of children who are interested in the arts to look into this school- you will be glad you did!

Posted December 17, 2013

My school could improve on how academics are taught, but it is hard because many of the students have not received the attention they need to thrive in school. Many students are behind, they come from surrounding schools that never challenged them therefor this school has to catch them up, and it becomes difficult to pay attention to the advanced students. I personally am in the theatre program, it is very rigorous, and after only one year I have learned more than I ever have in any of the classes that I have taken in Philadelphia or New York.

Posted October 30, 2013

lvpa- is where my student attends and the school has poor teachers, poor leadership and lots of criminal conduct with the kids bringing drugs to the school and the teachers think just because they are hired there that they dont have any rules either. They curse infront of the students yet expect for children not to curse. Just an example. You ask for certain allegations to be investigated regarding your child and the principal herself doesn't even have all the facts or info they just repeat what the teacher wants done to the student like the teacher is always right and never wrong. Also, how fair is it that when you try to list a complaint to a superintendent there is non because the schools principal doesnt report to a superintendent she reports to a school board which consists of the very teachers that are on the complaint list...my advise...STAY CLEAR OF THIS SCHOOL they will make a case out of your child if they dont like them.

Posted September 1, 2013

Just makes sense that the students in this school test higher in English and Writing rather than in Math and Science. It is an arts school, therefore the majority of the students would be right-brained people. If a student's goal is to go into liberal arts or performance, then this would be a good fit. If your goal is for total college-prep, why go to an Arts school?

Posted June 6, 2013

I attended this school a year ago and can say that although I had fun I have been crushed in college. I was so unprepared. Fun and acceptance should not have been my guide, but academics. I was warned but did not really want to work hard in high school. Many of my LVPA friends are feeling the same and some are not going back to college either by choice or could not make it.

Posted June 3, 2013

THe science and honor's programs are a joke. They would not be be considered academic level anywhere else. There are no labs in science classes, the foreign language teachers do not know the language and few courses actually use books. The arts programs are based on who gives $ and favoritism more than talent. Look deep before you go.

Posted January 9, 2013

I am a current freshman theatre major and this school is absolutely perfect. a lot of people believe that LVPA has horrible academics, but the truth is I would be getting worse academics if I was still going to Freedom in the bethlehem area school district. Lvpa is just an amazing experience and everyone really wants to be here, and nobody is being forced to go, unlike at the regular public schools. The theatre program is absolutely wonderful and is much better than the community theatre classes I have been taking for 9 years. I have gained so much experience just from being here half a year and i would never have stayed at freedom even if my life had depended on it. There is no bullying and everyone is welcome here. The type of people at lvpa get bullied in regular schools and this is a safe haven for all types of people. most of my best friends are gay and they are loved just the same. It's just amazing and anybody who looks down on lvpa is hated by me because this school is the best thing thats happened to everyone who attends it.

Posted December 30, 2012

Going to LVPA (or now known as the Lehigh Valley Charter High School for the Arts) has truly changed my life. The school has provided me with so many opportunities that have allowed me to grow not only as a student and artist, but as a person. These teachers genuinely love their job and would do anything for their students. Of course, if a student isn't putting in any effort towards their studies, they will not succeed, just like in any other school. However, I have found during my time at at this school, that most kids try their hardest. The environment is so encouraging; students will help each other, teachers give their freetime to help tutor, and the learning process is fun and creative. Although we have been given a bad reputation for our academics in the past, the truth is that they couldn't be more wrong. The academics are always on par with the art classes, if not better. In fact, I came here partially because the academics were better than my home school! I hope to get into either Yale University or Princeton University, and I couldn't be happier with my choice of going to LVPA. And, if it weren't for LVPA, I don't think I would have found the ambition to set those goals.

Posted December 29, 2012

LVPA has had a bad reputation academically in the past, but let's be realistic. The school is only 10 years old. In the realm of schools nationwide, it is still a baby. In the last few years, however, LVPA has intentionally fought to change that reputation. An influx of new, highly qualified teachers has brought LVPA's academics to a whole new level. If you look at their test scores, they are consistently scoring higher than Bethlehem's public schools. Since the school is so small, it is also less likely your child will fall through the cracks. The teachers work hard to monitor each child's progress and catch any potential problems. However, like any school, your child's academics will be what they make of it to some degree. If a student refuses the help offered to them, of course he or she won't lexcel. But if your student is curious and hard-working, the teachers at LVPA will use that to push them to new levels. This is a great school, and my child is lucky to be there.

Posted October 12, 2010

I went to LVPA all four years of high school and am now at my first year at college. For anyone wondering, the visual arts program is a gem. The teachers are talented, dedicated, and responsive. The academics are definitely not sub-par. I think the real difference is that you can CHOOSE to work less. If you're willing to put some effort into your education, you won't be disappointed (bar a few bad apples, but you'd find those people anywhere.) The work ethic and skills I learned at LVPA have helped me amazingly through my first semester, and I'm proud of my teachers and my time there. The administration is the real problem. They don't know how to handle problems tactfully or efficiently and panic at any mention of scandal or teacher/student difficulties.

Posted February 24, 2010

Attending LVPA has been one of the best choices of my life. Having half the day for the arts is a gift. Its hard to find more talented students at the high school level. If students takes on honors and AP classes, academics are challenging. I am going to miss LVPA when I graduate. However, I am proud to say that I feel extremely prepared for a career in any field- not just my art.

Posted September 16, 2009

The students and teachers work together to achieve great things...music, dance, theatre, art. Everyone there wants to be there. How many schools can you say that about?

Posted July 26, 2009

My daughter just graduated from LVPA and will be attending college in the fall. I give all the credit to LVPA. They worked with her learning disabilities and were able to teach her to overcome them. I sent her there for the 'Arts' part of it, but we stayed for the academics.

Posted March 17, 2009

This school gives students an opportunity to learn theory and history of their chosen art form, which I applaud. The school is very small. The student and staff populations are very eclectic. There isn't a strong sense of professionalism displayed by staff in terms of their communication with parents. Their academic standards are very low in English and science. It's a wonderful place from a students perspective because the expectations are low. From the perspective of an educator and parent, it's probably not a great college prep school. You will definitely need to supplement the academics with outside tutoring.

Posted March 8, 2009

There is no other school I could go to that has such a diverse student body and where I can get both my academics and my major, dance. The staff is warm and welcoming and very easy to talk to about most anything. The students are much more accepting to any different interests and such that you may have. No one will be left here without a friend they can confide in.

Posted March 8, 2009

i love this school so much. you can just be yourself and nobody will talk about you or think of you different than you are. its a small school so you know everyone!! the teachers are great to. its overall a great school you just got to do your part.

Posted December 1, 2008

As a parent and educator, I am aware that an excellent school can put out a sub-par student and a sub-par school can put out an excellent student. It's all about what you make of any situation. LVPA provides a caring, small, dedicated environment where my children can grow and learn. As my son once said, while driving by the high schoolers at another bus stop, 'Why does everyone else look so sad to be going to school?' That is what means the most - instilling the life-long love of learning, curiosity, and acadmic discipline. All of these I find at LVPA. I am sending my second child there now and have not regretted a single thing about LVPA and our family's decision.

Posted November 21, 2008

I went to LVPA all 4 years. I absolutely loved the experience and cherish it deeply, but upon entering college this year I realize i'm suffering academically because of my choice. Of course I'm ahead in music but thats not all college is about. Academic wise lvpa has a decent English department. It's not that lvpa doesn't prepare you at all, just not enough. I would suggest definitely enrolling in college courses over the summer between junior and senior year, youll get ahead in credits and ahead in your classes. I love LVPA but its not the best for college prep.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2012.

109 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

109 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

106 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2012.

111 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Male97%
White98%
Economically disadvantaged100%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

• Drama

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Performing arts

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Performance stage

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

675 East Broad St