Keystone National High School

Private | 9-12

Student diversity

Living in Bloomsburg

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $133,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $620.

Sweep tile

Posted March 26, 2014

Keystone has offered my child challenge, rigor, and responsibility. It IS writing intensive...which is good! It does allow the student to move at their own pace. My daughter learned a valuable lesson about procrastinating. It was costly but a lesson she needed to learn. Issues - There was a grading glitch in one of the computerized quizzes but the teacher quickly took care of the issue as soon as he was made aware of the problem. Not all teachers give as much feedback as others but that isn't so different from the public school she previously attended. This program is NOT for everyone but it has given my child incredible opportunities to do the things she wants to outside of school (rodeo, 4H, travel) while still getting a college prep education. The foreign languages offered are far more diverse in selection than we could ever get in our rural location. My daughter began work at Keystone in the 9th grade.

Posted February 9, 2014

I personally think Keystone is a great private school. I started sending my son to Keystone in 9th grade because there are no private school options in our area, and we were dissatisfied with the public school system. Now he is doing better than ever before. The great thing about Keystone is that it is highly flexible, which means my son can participate in sports, theater, and travel, and still be able to do his work wherever there is an internet connection. Highly recommended!

Posted January 30, 2014

I am a senior working on my final class at keystone before I graduate. Honestly, I probably could not do another semester with this program. While I managed to get through with straight A's, it was WAY too much BUSY WORK! You read the tests, find the answers, and wait for a grade. As for the essays and journals? Incredibly too much and totally unnecessary. I attended public school from kindergarten till my sophomore year in high school before I switched to Keystone because of issues with the public school system. I was in all gifted & honors classes while attending public school-- I was at the top of my class, and was able to skip a year in both math & science. Yet when I made the switch to Keystone, school quickly became an enemy. I will admit, I'm graduating early due to Keystone's flexible schedule, but it was an extremely stressful process. It OVER prepares students for college. I did not attempt to contact a teacher for any of my classes because I did not need to, so I cannot comment on their responsiveness. Overall, Keystone works if you're trying to quickly finish school, learn to grow up & be very responsible, & teach yourself entirely. Definitely not for everyone.

Posted January 28, 2014

Keystone is absolutely horrible. I am taking two of the AP course online- Comp Sci and microeconomics. My Comp Sci teacher gives me an 100 on every assignment I submit even if i submit a blank document. When i contacted the administration about this multiple times, they would reply with a bogus excuse. The teachers never respond to my emails when I have questions and the curriculum is very difficult to understand. Even if I have a simple question, Keystone does not answer it. Other fellow students in my school use Keystone for other subjects and they also despise it. Their math programs are impossible and don't teach properly. They are constantly confused by the information and do not learn properly from it. I highly recommend that no one use Keystone. It causes a lot of aggravation and I would not be surprised if this whole institution was a scam, hiring teachers who just need extra income but don't actually want to teach.

Posted January 6, 2014

Keystone has been a nightmare. I'm in 11th grade and this is my first year not being in a traditional classroom setting. I've always loved English, and this is the first year I've ever dreaded it. Every single assignment is a writing assignment that doesn't help me at all. I feel like I'm not learning anything and that I'm just completing the assignment for a grade. The teachers are no help at all. I feel like I'm teaching myself everything. Now every day I'm stressed out about how I'm going to finish all of the classes I'm behind in. I would not recommend Keystone for students like me who are new to homeschooling.

Posted December 19, 2013

I go to a Keystone Online. The way the system works to my knowledge is where you log in, read lessons, and do the work yourself by yourself. The teacher there is there for grading the assignments and can answer questions when the students ask. The teacher doesn t teach, the student does. I can t seem to remember anything I learn from online school. I am learning things to pass the assignments and tests. This online approach only works on math for me. I am able to go through math somewhat quickly and efficiently. For the other subjects, they are not going so well. I find it very difficult to stay focus and do my school work at home. I have become a less motivated and more procrastinated(and lazy) student. I have an urge to watch YouTube videos and check Facebook lots of times in the day when I am suppose to be studying. I miss the classroom where the teacher is actually teaching in real life. If I couldn t go back to school, I wish I could have a private teacher/tutor. (My parents love online schooling. They think I am learning more and not just learning to past a test. And that can go at my own pace. They hope more people will do online instead of traditional.)

Posted December 16, 2013

It has nothing to do with self-discipline. The school officials need to stop submitting reviews. Plain and simple this is a business. You will not get the teacher oversight that you have from a brick and mortar school. The Dean is uninvolved except to defend 'the graders' (there are some teachers but very few). Stay away from the AP courses especially you would be better served taking a 'regular' course and picking up an AP exam book and teaching yourself. Keystone MAY be a means to an end but you'll have to be very, very patient with this overall crummy diploma mill. Don't believe me? Check HomeSchoolReviews dot com for more telling information.

Posted December 5, 2013

Keystone can be very challenging for teenagers who are not good at self-discipline. Both me and my sister are enrolled and while I am breezing by, she struggles with making a schedule that is right for her, so she procrastinates and doesn't do her work. You have to trust your child to work at a pace that fits for them, and you have to be prepared to help them if they are struggling with that. Don't get mad at them though, keystone isn't for everyone and it is kind of trial and error. If you think, given the chance, your child would play video games instead of furthering their education, keystone might be challenging for them. If you think education is really important to your child and they value the importance of it, keystone will probably be the right choice for them. Not all children will always fit into all schools, you just have to find the right one for them.

Posted November 30, 2013

Keystone School is below average in ease of use. My 7th grader needs help with almost all his classes, and he is an A student. He is at home due to illness. We two months behind and frustrated. Most of the work does seem to be busy work and not helpful in learning. I never expected for my son and me to be going to 7th grade together! I have not asked for help from the school because I do not know that there is anything they can change. This is the way their classes are set up, too much essay writing. Don't know if we will be going next year. I noticed that discussion boards among the kids state the exact same problem with other kids. I was browsing to make sure what my son may be reading. That's how I discovered that we were not the only ones.

Posted September 7, 2013

I would love to be able to review the curriculum but due to the fact I never got any kind of return calls or emails from anyone in admissions despite promises to do so, my son never got the chance to start. This year was our second attempt at enrolling him and we got the same dismissive treatment both times. Obviously they aren't interested in my business.

Posted June 18, 2013

My daughter is currently trying to finish Keystones AP French course. Our experience: BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER. Our daughter is straight A student, Governor Scholar, AP Scholar with Honor, etc. She wanted to take AP French at her high school but not enough students were interested so they offered her this. We are dissatisfied for many reasons: 1. Too many assignments: a whopping 331, way more than any other AP course she's taken (and she passed all 6) 2. Technical problems: many of the online resources required to do the assignments we closed. When reported to her teacher the assignments were replaced by more difficult essays. In the end we decided it was better to just guess on the answers. 3. No teaching...my daughter had a "teacher" who graded her written assignments, but that was it. 4.STRESS!! I have never had to monitor by daughter in all her years of school. Since she hated working on this, and it was so time consuming, she quickly fell behind. This has been the most stressful school related issue we've had with any of our 4 kids. 5. Wasted time: All the hours, stress and strife, and my daughter doesn't think she passed the AP test or even improved her French.

Posted June 10, 2013

This school is definitely based on the child's ability to stay on track out of the classroom environment and the parents willingness to help their child. I used Keystone for my last year of high school after dropping out of public high school for personal reasons and refusing to go back to public school system. At first it was a challenge because while at home its easy to get distracted, but after awhile I found my routine. The school itself has great curriculum I learned things that public school just glossed over. The school gave me tools to learn things in depth and create a personal connection, especially in history classes. I had trouble in math classes but teachers were always helpful and responded quickly. English classes have a lot of writing involved it can seem overwhelming but its ok to look outside of the books for helpful examples. Counselors were helpful with getting students the things they needed for college applications including reference letters. In short this school gave me a second chance to learn. When I left public school was 2.98 when I left Keystone it was 3.8. I also had a refreshed state mind towards learning and school and excited for college.

Posted May 10, 2013

I am currently in my Junior year at Keystone and I absolutely love this school. This is my first year here and like many other people say it not an easy program. It is very writing intensive and it requires so many essays, research papers and journal assignments. But the teachers are always there for you when you need them and they are always helpful. All of the administrative staff is great as well and I have gotten great help in Guidance about college and motivational tips from the learning coach. This is a great school and I cant find one thing negative to say about them!

Posted May 9, 2013

My son has an English teacher who gives him 100 for everything and doesn't help him learn to write or correct his writing. They are reading only The Life of Bees. [Full stop.] The math teacher is totally unavailable and tutors need to be hired to teach him math. In Geography, they watch clips online from Discovery Channel, replete with adverts. The French is pathetic, and he's learning nothing. The science teacher seems OK though. On the whole, it's a cheap, junky, outdated curriculum. When I tried to talk to head of curriculum, "she was out." Two days later, still no return call. Uncaring, lazy, invisible, and noncommunicative teachers and administration. You can tell that they don't care from the voice mail. They're making it with taxpayer dollars from unwitthing school districts. There should be one or two nonprofit online schools with a sound curriculum and available teachers.

Posted February 6, 2013

I Absolutely love this school!!!!! I don't have a single con about it! helpful staff, and easy work!!!! I'am in sixth grade and I always used to beg my parents to let me stay home when I used to go to regular school and most of the time it was yes but when it was no I had a crying fit in order to get a yes. There is no pros about regular elementary school. All I used to get is detentions for stupid stuff and I felt like I was in a jail, only you got to go home at the end of the day. I'am still shocked that I don't have to worry about any of that crap anymore. Without Keystone I would still have to go to that hell-hole. Thank you so much Keystone!!!! I give it 1000/1000 stars!!!!

Posted September 3, 2012

First of all, I want to note that I was hired by a Keystone student's family to tutor him through their curriculum. I am a certified secondary math teacher myself with a B.S./M.A. Communication with the school is awful. At times, the platform did not work. The curriculum is outdated and very poor. Links to complete assignments often do not work as the sites closed 3-4 years ago. Some of the math concepts are completely wrong and the teachers often do not even recognize it. For example, one lesson defines terms incorrectly and then has such problems as a 5-5-10 (side lengths) triangle. Social studies materials also tend to be misleading and copy Wikipedia for diagrams and some information. When asked where information came from, I was usually told "I do not know". The "teachers" are also not there to actual instruct. Instead, the student will work through the material alone and have limited interactions with the teachers who only have about 5 hours of "office time" to give to students/parents. Unless other courses are much better, I cannot see anything here benefiting a child. I also question whether some of the reviews were written by Keystone staff.

Posted June 12, 2012

I'm at Keystone now as a senior. I dropped out of public school after 9th grade; I wanted more of a challenge. My first year with Keystone wasn't easy. Until you learn to be self motivated and self-paced, it can be a struggle to finish certain courses.The honors classes I've taken I really liked. Feedback received from teachers of those classes and most others was helpful. I enjoyed Spanish I and II in 'regular' school, but Spanish 3 at Keystone, due to lack of oral communication skills taught, was a drag. Some teachers (when they get around to replying) don't give good feedback. Didn't get great guidance from the counselor regarding college plans and course selection either. However, I feel the nature of the program is preparing me for college better than most traditional schools. I've always been straight A student and course content is generally stimulating. Some classes aren't the best, and teachers are hit or miss. Try to find someone online who has taken the course you're interested in and ask them about it first. As long as you put in the work and make the most out of courses you choose, you can enjoy the flexibility and advantages that a Keystone education has to offer.

Posted May 16, 2012

I dropped out of high school because I was humiliated and bullied by my science teacher. At Keystone, I completed 3 years of school in 2 years and was admitted to 6 out of 7 state universities I applied to. I received my BA last year and am continuing my education next Fall at the graduate school of my choice. Keystone is a good school that requires a lot of work and diligence. For students who are serious about their education it is a very good choice.

Posted August 26, 2011

Awful. Very difficult to work with. My children are college bound and wanted a rigorous program. Instead, dealt with rude employees who could not seem to figure out what they were doing. We will definitely not be continuing with this program. I do not recommend to anyone.

Posted June 14, 2011

I can honestly say that I am so happy with being a graduate from Keystone! I got into the college I have wanted attend since I was in high school. i have absolutely nothing negative to say about keystone except that the teachers and staff are really awesome, friendly, helpful, and always there when you need them! I graduated from keystone dec. of 2010 and I am now a happy college student!!! if you are willing to sacrifice yourself and actually get a real high school diploma rather than a GED, keystone is for you! to be honest, it IS A LOT of work, and you have to be fully focused and determined! i had a year to finish my 6 classes, and i finished them in about 3 months, but thats because i would literally stay home all day and do nothing but work work work. and look at me now! i got in the college i wanted and have a 3.5 GPA and working towards my dream of being in the FBI! AND I WOULDN'T BE HERE TODAY WITHOUT KEYSTONE!!!!!

420 West Fifth Street