Coatesville Area Senior High School

Public | 9-12

Posted March 9, 2014

I love working on CASD Campus. As stated in other reviews, the diversity of the student body and staff is unlike any school I experienced in 30 years. Joining the Coatesville family encouraged me to expand my compassion and tolerance for others more than the "real world" I live in. Every race, color, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, language, style, socio-economic class and intellectual capacity is represented at Coatesville. This is not true for other high schools in the county. The facility triumphs in certain realms and continues to improve in others. I believe success in our classrooms is built upon truthful relationships. There is no faking it here! You must know who you are, what you teach and how to make it matter to the students' lives. If you are not willing to know every students' name, to speak the truth, and to call home, you're not right for this community. The colleagues I surround myself with are the most committed and collaborative team. I am proud and honored to wear Black and Red for Coatesville. There are amazing things happening in our classrooms and in the minds of our students; stereotypes are crushed and words in texts don't stop our kids!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 18, 2013

I am a student who recently graduated from Coatesville (2013) and i could not be happier with my high school experience. We get a bad reputation, however i could not have made better friends or have been influenced by better people than the teachers at coatesville. I have a sizable scholarship to a large public university and could not be more prepared for college level work. Success at Coatesville all depends on the student and how much they are willing to work for their education and parents at home. If you keep yourself in the AP and honors programs at coatesville you will never have an issue. I believe i am ore prepared for life in the real world because of the diversity of coatesville. we have people of all walks of life and we all got along. You couldnt ask for a better education.

Posted September 2, 2013

I'm a student (class of 2015) who attended Coatesville High School for two years before moving to Maryland. The school I now attend is 7th in the state, but I still think Coatesville trumps it in some ways. While Coatesville has a bad rep, it is a safe school to attend. Many of the kids are not motivated to work at all. But the AP programs Coatesville offers are excellent, so if you're a good student, you can get a good education here. The sports teams dominate,the administration in control, the school spirit is unrivaled, and the building itself is top notch. I find most of the people here to be friendly, and there isn't much "labeling" here. If you don't hang with the bad crowd, and you work hard, I believe Coatesville is a great school to be a part of and doesn't deserve the stereotype people give it.

Posted August 3, 2013

My oldest child just graduated from Coatesville school district. She has a scholarship to her College based on her academic achievements. I would say Coatesville school are challenging and have a great system of teamwork. I am happy to have graduated from Coatesville myself and have my two other children graduate within the next few years.

Posted July 21, 2013

I agree with the other raters who say this school does not deserve the negative reputation it has earned. My daughter has only attended the 9/10 center, so I cannot really speak to the quality of the 11th and 12th grade teachers, but I have no reason to doubt that the quality of education there is comparable. The guidance department does a great job, considering how many students they have to serve. There are plenty of clubs and activities, and homework is manageable. My daughter really liked all but one of her teachers, and they just didn't click. My fears about my children attending CASH were unfounded - it's really fine!

Posted June 3, 2013

I have never felt unsafe at school, despite what some say. I am about to graduate from CASH, and I have to say that this high school offers a quality education--for those who want it. Of course there are a lot of kids who don't, but why does that matter if you want to succeed? Many of the AP teachers consistently help students score above the national average. They come in before and after school to help students. If you need them and ask, they'll be there. Our Academic Team KILLED Devon Prep, Malvern Prep, and Bishop Shanahan, besting over $50,000 of tuition. So public school is worse than private school? There are activities and clubs and sports for everyone. We have a very diverse campus with whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians, and other races. We get along. The problem at Coatesville is the lack of parenting for some of the students, who demonstrate a lack of respect for authority and other students. The administration could run things more logically and efficiently to get results they want. Taking gym away from someone who isn't good at math is not the answer to make them want to try in school. There should also be higher standards for Honors classes, and other classes too.

Posted April 23, 2013

This is a terrible school district as a whole! The teachers/staff are only human. They do the best they can. However, these schools have a very high rate of crime, drugs, and VIOLENCE!!! In fact, my son was getting beat up in the bathrooms. I had to pull him out. My daughter comes home with a new horror story everyday about the violence. I just started counselling with her to help control her panic attacks brought on by this violence. With that being said, the teachers do the best they can with the kids that are truly there to learn. Unfortunately for those kids, though, they are few and far between & fall through the cracks. TOO many distractions. You would be doing your child a true disservice by allowing them to go to Coatesville Public Schools - try a Charter School instead....just a suggestion.

Posted July 26, 2012

I am A current Student at Cash and I'm going in to my Jr year. A lot of the teachers are great, and will give anything to help a student pass. Although last year we did have my math teacher not do his job very well. He would always take off and with our schools money being tight we can't afford sub teachers so other teacher have to drop what they are doing and give their free time to cover a class. After a while my class got concerned why we were not being taught. After a few more weeks our final was coming up FAST and we learned that our Algebra 2 teacher quit leaving his classes out to dry so to speak. My class was very lucky to have in my option one of the best Math teachers take over my class and my class was put through a hard week and a half but we managed to have most of our 30 students pass the exam. Yeah Coatesville is not the best but for me it is a great school and has so much history that I am happy to be there with my friends and I really love a lot of my teachers I have had so far. Looking back at my teachers I can't wait to see which teachers I have for my Jr year.

Posted May 31, 2011

I am a parent whom just moved to the area, and had my son transferred from New Jersey schools to Coatesville, he is a Drafting major. The other HS in NJ ( Seneca ) told him he was not capable of being able to cut it for this class because Math was not a strong suit for him, and would not let him take this course. He is doing terrific an Honor Roll student and the staff and teachers really made him feel part of something, he plays Baseball. My son told me himself the kids were friendly and really made him feel welcomed. I say it's all in the parenting. I have nothing bad to say about this school it's a wonderful melting pot.

Posted February 13, 2011

First class children come out of Coatesville School District. I only wish everyone could meet the students that I have known from C'ville.

Posted November 18, 2010

I am a Coatesville graduate, and am currently an Honors sophomore at the University of Delaware on a sizable scholarship. Coatesville does not deserve the bad reputation it seems to have - my teachers were all very good and I learned a lot, and I felt that there were definitely enough Honors and AP options with which to build a college resume. I do have some issues with the administration, however - nothing they come up with is very well-organized. Also, I feel that the bar is set pretty low for Honors classes...at times it felt like they would let anyone in. There is a club or sports team for every type of student, and for better or for worse, you definitely get an education in diversity - I found that I was a lot more open-minded and accepting of others than my fellow freshmen last year, and I strongly believe that a lot of that is due to what I was exposed to at Coatesville.

Posted March 18, 2010

I'm currently a student at the high school and I love my teachers, they are relatable and will do everything in their power to help you. Although it may be difficult to get along with some of my classmates, I believe you'll find that wherever you go. There is a wide variety of extra curricular activities including german club, ski club, and so on. I wouldn't have it any other way than to be a coatesville red raider!

Posted February 2, 2010

My children attend the brand new Rainbow Elementary school and South Brandywine Middle Schools. We have been very pleased with the quality of teachers, the diversity of the students and our childrens progress. Parents are very involved with the students, more so year after year. My children will be more prepared for life ahead of them from the diversity of people they have studied with over the years. My children have been top honor students every year and the old reputation of Coatesville needs to get flushed away permanently!

Posted June 25, 2009

This high school has an outstanding football program which stresses to their athletes the importance of being a team player and an excellent student. Since transferring to this school my student is encouraged about doing his homework and raised his grades to all A's and B's.

Posted May 22, 2009

I have taught as a long-term substitute teacher at competing schools in the area as well as here. I must say that the students, parents and staff are outstanding. The teachers here really care about the students and it is a very friendly school. The parents are involved in the school and their children's work. There are many activities for the students to be involved in. I have really enjoyed my teaching experience here.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 10, 2008

I grew up in Downingtown and have been a resident of the area all my life. I am well aware of the poor reputation of Coatesville school district. My son attended a Christian school elementary and middle school years but requested to transfer to public the end of his sophomore year. Reluctantly I enrolled him in Coatesville public. I must say we were surprised by the excellence of the honors programs and at the teaching level. Although 9-10 has a poorer reputation for violence than does the Senior High, we experienced no issues. I was also pleasantly surprised about the level of discipline and order within the school. Unfortunately Coatesville seems to maintain a reputation earned long ago that it no longer deserves.

Posted March 9, 2007

As an alumni of CASH and Lincoln University, I am going to first acknowledge the great resources this school has provided. I believe that parent involvement is essential with every child regardless of what school he/she attends. With the involvement of my parents, as well as the competency of the teachers, I was able to achieve my goals as well as give back to my community. I hope that parents will read this and try to find ways to become even more involved in their children's lives. CASH is a very unique school with a great diverse population. It prepares young people in the areas of academics, culture, community awareness, real world situations, and respect. Again, I only ask that parents who read this review, to stay active in their children's lives because these teachers can't do it on their own.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 23, 2007

as a student here at CASH, i can honestly sit here and tell you that there is no other place that i would rather be than here at coatesville. this school has made me a better person and i am very grateful for that. i think that now i can go out into the world and conduct myself in a mature manner because of the lessons that i have been taught here at coatesville. no matter what anybody else says, coatesville is one of the best schools in the state of pennsylvania.

Posted September 18, 2006

Excellent choices for AP and honors classes. My children were well prepared for college level classes. Superior teachers who go above and beyond the school day.

Posted February 13, 2006

the acaedmic programs are sorely lacking. However, if your child has special needs, this is the school for you. They have votech, on site child care for your pregnant teen daughter etc.
—Submitted by a former student

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2012.

499 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

505 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

508 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2012.

503 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

White78%
Economically disadvantaged52%
Students with disabilities (IEP)33%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Industrial shop

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1445 East Lincoln Hwy