Dallastown Area Senior High School

Public | 9-12

Posted September 14, 2014

I will never recommend DHS to anyone. My son was a great student at SHS but upon his tranfer to DHS is grade stunk. I there was no counselor involvement. When he did poorly, for example, a math he chose that he was doing extremely poorly (getting in the 60's, his former school a 64 was failing) he was allowed to chose a higher class for the next year? Why???? The only reason he graduated was because. OOPs he did not. Supposedly because of a gym credit, but again the majority of his grades were below 75%. What I did not understand was the fact that he did NOT have all the required credits or classes but was allowed to were a cap and gown and walk with his class to received a ready for this "Certificate of Completion"? what is this. Doing bad and sit were your class colors and walk with the people you sat with in a class room. Unbelievable. Better high school guidelines need to be put in place. If students show difficulty put in place improvement plans, to help them excel, DHS has no improvement plan.

Posted October 13, 2013

As a recent graduate of Dallastown (Class of 2013), I am very grateful for how Dallastown prepared me for college. I am excelling in my college courses due to the careful preparation of teachers and staff. I did not appreciate the education I received while I was there, but it is evident to me now that Dallastown is an EXCELLENT school. There are, of course, a few things that could be improved upon like, the math department and the recognition of extra curricular activities outside of sports, but the school is doing something right for its students.

Posted September 22, 2013

I am currently a sophomore at dallastown and I am beyond impressed with the abundance of academic opportunities, the extracurriculars, and the eager to teach teachers. There are so many different courses to take, an abundance of electives, and so many clubs to choose from! I love all of our spirit days and fun activities. The teachers really want you to succeed, so as long as you want to put in the work you will do amazingly! They prepare you for college so well; some of the honors classes already use college text books. And there are also a lot of AP courses available. I really don't find anything wrong with this school other than a lack of diverse teachers. The facility is beyond well kept and everything is clean and up to date. We have wonderful computers and up to date software. I don't know what else I can say but I love this school! As long as you are not a trouble maker and are ready to succeed this is a great choice for anyone.

Posted June 17, 2011

As a student of DAHS, I often find that this school is "over-hyped". Honestly, Dallastown is a great school in that they are always willing to help students plan for their future. The school is constantly helping the students plan for future jobs, and plan for college. Honors, AP, and Dual Enrollment classes make it possible to receive an above average education. However, Dallastown does have some very notable problems. Money is constantly being thrown into technology which is never used. Smart boards, flat screen TVs, and laptops that are widely hated. A million dollar hallway was just built to connect the high school to the middle school, because we have way too many people in the district, and thus we had to build an intermediate school. Also, as is probably true with all public schools, if a teacher and a student have a problem, it's always the student's fault. Always. Entire classes have gone to the office to complain about a teacher, because they didn't feel they were learning anything in the class, but nothing is ever done. Also, we spend WAY too much on unnecessary administrators.

Posted October 17, 2008

As a junior, I transferred out of this school after my freshman and sophomore year. I now attend a county school in the south. After seeing how southern schools are run, it gives me a whole new appreciation for DAHS. The classes truly are honors classes, and there is ALWAYS a class that will accommodate the individual learning abilities that each person possesses. The teachers are very helpful, and the guidance counselors are excellent. The quality of the education in this school is the highest I have experienced. Dallastown has plenty to offer athletically, academically, and socially. This school has prepared me so well, that I have not experienced any new learning as a junior for the last 8 weeks in my new school. Although the halls at DAHS are crowded, it is a trivial matter compared to the awesome academics. Dallastown truly is a 'School of Excellence.'

Posted February 13, 2008

Great school. One of the best science programs around to complement much honor in every other subject. As a graduate, I excel in college better than many others from other high schools. I am proud to have been a wildcat.

Posted February 13, 2008

I moved to the district as a freshman and was welcomed with open arms. The teachers are excellent, a number of them having been Dallastown graduates themselves. There is a variety of classes offered, allowing some freedom of choice. Each department is strong, including the art, music, and language depatments. Dallastown's high standards have prepared me well for college. Even though I complained the entire way through, I have memories from clubs, teams, classes, and friends that I wouldn't give up for the world.

Posted January 16, 2008

Our son transferred to Dallastown HS in 9th grade from a local private, smaller school. The transition was very much better than anticipated. All our hopes for more opportunities and class choices were met. The teachers are fabulous, some a better match than others, as one would expect. But all of them seem to be very dedicated. We are not originally from this area, and previously have sent our children (4) to parochial schools, but it is so refreshing to find a good public school system and have a choice as to where you want to send your children for a good education.

Posted September 27, 2007

As a parent of one student who graduated DAHS, and two that were in DAHS I must say it was a struggle. Volunteering several times, I witnessed 'control, power hungry' teachers, who screamed for no reason at students. Sports? Forget about it. If you are new, out of the area, your child doesn't have a chance. You must have connections. It has nothing to do with the ability of your child. Parents are rude and very unfriendly, therefore the students are the same. Very happy I am no longer in this.

Posted February 25, 2006

As a graduate of the school, i must say how dedicated the teachers are to a students sucess in the world.

Posted November 12, 2005

This school is very smart the teachers are great and they help you out as much as they can. Being a student here was good because they teach you some good stuff.

Posted February 1, 2005

As a graduate of Dallastown AHS I am proud to spread the word of the excellent programs available to future students. I was involved in sports, both swimming and track and field, both county champions. My parents were very involved in everything that went on from booster clubs to senior class dinner theatre. I also have to agree that college was much easier than I had anticipated due to the academic rigor which I endured in high school. This is a great school district!(oh, and great teachers make great students!)

Posted July 14, 2004

I graduated from Dallastown. While there I was challenged, and worked hard to get B's and C's. In college I was a straight A student because of the education and preperation I got at Dallastown.

Posted February 23, 2004

The residential area is being built up. You won't find anything in the news against this school. Cop on premises. DARE program is in effect. Building has security day and night. 70% + of the graduates attend college. Most teachers are helpful and considerate and available online during off hours. Many extra-curricular activities to join.

Posted August 25, 2003

I am a past student. I enjoyed my high school career very much. I still have pride in my school as I have encountered those who did not receive as wonderful an education as I did. The teachers were excellent and so were the coaches and other students. Would not have traded my high school for the world.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2012.

447 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

457 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

454 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2012.

465 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

White92%
Economically disadvantaged80%
Students with disabilities (IEP)69%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

700 New School Ln