9-12 & Ungraded
East Stroudsburg, PA

Posted June 27, 2014
School is very involved and is the highest in America of all public schools. also redone for technology upgrade

Posted April 30, 2014
This is a great school that offers many clubs and activities that could assist a student in attending college. Relationships and friendships with teachers and peers will definitely last a lifetime.

East Stroudsburg Shs South 4

Posted December 08, 2013
I am a sophomore at this school (a bronze level by the way) and I have only been here a short time, but I believe that this school as not that bad. I love that they give students opportunities to advance with AP classes, honors classes, and taking more than one of a certain course, such as doubling up in math, as well as offering help for students who need more. They offer sports and a variety of academic clubs, such as debate team, FBLA, DECA, and eTeam, which is a club to teach local senior citizens to use their electronic devices to their full potential. Only a few complaints come to my mind, such as food, but not much can be expected from school food. I personally have not been encountered with gang violence, but it is something you just can tell is there. There are occasional fights, but the principal is very strict when it comes to violence. The teachers do let you get away with some things. Cursing would normally result in a warning depending on the teacher or nothing with others. Some immediately punish you.. Overall, I feel I am in a good school with mostly decent teachers and academic opportunities. I have heard worse from other schools about violence.

Posted October 24, 2011
I am a current senior at this school, and I am very satisfied with my experience. It is very diverse, and while this is sometimes a source of conflict, the administration handles it very well. Fights and violence have gone down noticeably since I arrived here, and Mr. Catrillo is doing a very good job with running the school. Most of my classes have been good experiences, and a motivated student will find ways to challenge him or herself. It would be nice if there were more AP classes offered, but Intependent Study is always an option. Extracurricular activities are very good, there is quite literally something for everyone: Multicultural Affairs, Green Team, Physics Club, you name it. Overall, a very good school, and I am definitely glad I spent my four high school years here.

Posted July 14, 2011
My son will be starting the 5th Grade, we have a long way before he reaches the 9th Grade. The school has shown alot of progress academically since we moved here. I hope that they continue to excel in Academics , Athletics and Arts throughout the years. I am very please with the choice I made to move to this school district. Coming from New York, I can already see advantages for my kids and improvement in their development. Hoping the school comtinue to offer wide choices of Electives and programs. I am very impressed.

East Stroudsburg Shs South 2

Posted September 08, 2010
If your child struggles in school, these teachers don't want to put extra effort in. They gave my child an IEP that allows him extra time for tests, and may leave the class if the teacher would allow it, to go for help. However, all this did was enable my child to use his IEP to slack off and use it as an excuse not to do well and put in extra effort. In the real world, at a college, trade shcool or in the workforce, nobody is going to be there to hold your hand. You have to work hard and he learned the opposite at school. He just barely graduated.

Posted July 11, 2010
My child just completed his first year of high school and had a terrific freshman year. For any child who is motivated and comes to school to learn, the opportunities are many -- AP classes, extracurriculars, vo-tech specialties.

East Stroudsburg Shs South 1

Posted April 29, 2010

East Stroudsburg Shs South 4

Posted March 15, 2010
We have had children in this school district for 14 years and overall have been pleased. Best high school available in Monroe County (and the school board has utilized property taxes in a more responsible manner than in some nearby districts). The new high school building is beautiful, the course offerings extensive, and programs for academically gifted students substantial. Many students have gone on to receive full academic scholarships at ivy-league or comparably competitive colleges. Very active extracurriculars, many non-athletic, such as FBLA, Speech & Debate, NHS, musical productions/theater. State-renowned music program (band / chorus). Diverse student body. Many top-notch teachers and coaches. Yes, there are some teachers who ought to retire but that is a weakness of any public school system. We have so far found this school administration to, overall, be responsive to any issues.

East Stroudsburg Shs South 0

Posted February 10, 2010
I read some of the reviews below and hope people dont judge the school by them. parents obviously dont know what they're talking about. teachers do as much as they can there and are very helpful, yes there are some bad ones, but what school doesn't have them. if you are willing to learn, you will. and also, the school is done now and it is beautiful and completely clean. the comment about the principlas and security being not visibla is comepletely a lie. our principal is always checking in on classrooms and is always around the school. and security is everywhere. all in all, south is a very good school. there are som problems but every other school has problems too. what I love most is that south probably has the most electives to choose from than any other school in the area. and extracurriculars and sports are awesome there!

East Stroudsburg Shs South
279 North Courtland St, East Stroudsburg, PA  18301
Last modified East Stroudsburg Shs South is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
East Stroudsburg Shs South Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top