No rating

The Gladwyne Montessori School

Private | PK-8 | 245 students

A remarkable community of learning for age 2 to middle school.

Living in Gladwyne

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $825,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,100.

Posted June 3, 2014

I am an alumnus of this school. I have fond memories of the values this institution instilled at an early age. I believe the montessori method, as it is effectively employed here, teaches critical thinking, passionate curiosity, and strong values. I'm grateful for the time I spent here and would definitely send my children here if I still lived in the area. Furthermore, the impression, and the benefits are truly enduring. Indeed, I can still remember the dedicated teachers who cared deeply about me and pushed me to do my best.

Posted November 13, 2013

I read some of the below reviews and am very surprised. I have had 2 children go thru Gladwyne Montessori. My children are now independent, curious, successful students - I attribute a lot of this to the GMS culture. We love the community. It is a safe nurturing environment that has fostered a true love of knowledge in my children.

Posted November 12, 2013

All three of our daughters attended GMS. We found the personal attention and individual approach that a Montessori educations offers provided an excellent foundation for our girls. All three learned how to be self motivated and developed a joy in learning. They moved on to very competitive schools and a re doing well. I think the ability to self motivate that they developed at GMS has been a great advantage for them and will continue to be.

Posted November 11, 2013

Sending our Son to Gladwyne Montessori is the best decision we have made as parents, hands down!!! I encourage you to visit in person and see how engaged the students are, it will blow you away. It is remarkable that a classroom full of three, four and five year olds are so passionate about their work, helping each other along the way and not creating chaos like other schools we visited. There are a lot of misconceptions about Montessori education and in reality it is the future of how we should educate our children. My son is curious, engaged, passionate and HAPPY, all because of Gladwyne Montessori .The teachers are remarkable men and women who keep my child safe, teach him about the world and encourage him to explore what HE is interested in, rather than what s going to be on the test. There is also a very comforting sense of community within the school, without that Main Line snob factor that you have to deal with at other schools. The teachers and staff are accessible, friendly and incredibly passionate about teaching and their classrooms. Just visit and see for yourself why this place is so special ..take my word for it!!!

Posted November 11, 2013

Gladwyne Montessori is a wonderful learning community. Exceptional staff and teachers that teach and nurture their students

Posted November 10, 2013

Busybodies. They get involved in aspects of your life that are nonnegotiable of their business.their teachers are not certified and they are very judgmental. I inquired about a bus to pick my daughter up for school...never got back to me!!! Sending my daughter there is the biggest regret of my life. Don't make the same mistake.

Posted October 26, 2013

This school is a Gem - creates a joy of learning, a passion for curiosity, peacemakers and "out-of-the-box" thinkers. Most children are way ahead in subjects, plus they love school! I had little understanding of Montessori in the beginning.... now realizing it's the most hands-on/effective way to learn key life and academic skills. GMS' individualized, highly-integrative and multi-age environment is really the key and they have been executing this "21st Century" style of education for over 50 years. Plus, the teachers are really amazing and so caring, encouraging you to join the school's "family". Wish we hadn't succumbed to the Main Line attitude/brain washing that entering a bigger/elite school earlier was better.... absolutely not true.... plenty of time for these competitive social, academics & athletic cultures when your child is psychologically ready/matured. Plus, our kids almost always get their first choices on schools when moving on. It's no secret our students go on to great academic, leadership and athletic achievements in high school....its the GMS fingerprint.

Posted October 22, 2013

Gladwyne Montessori is one of a kind along the Main Line of Philadelphia for elementary school.

Posted October 20, 2013

I am so pleased that we chose Gladwyne Montessori School for our 2 children when they were toddlers - both have now graduated, one in college, the other independent high school. GMS enriched their lives with a sense of self-confidence & the gift of independent thinking - both have a love-for-learning and a respect-for-community that's propelling them forward as young adults. GMS retains outstanding faculty who are leaders in education - they in turn attract & nurture outstanding students.

Posted October 18, 2013

The Gladwyne Montessori School is a creative, adaptable and flexible school that has helped my children grow in learning, nature and spirit. And in that, it is preparing them for a constantly changing world.

Posted October 8, 2013

As a past parent I can share that my children still look back on their time at Gladwyne Montessori with great affection. You simply can't do better than this school - great teachers, great curriculum, great environment - great outcome!

Posted October 1, 2013

I am a VERY proud parent at Gladwyne Montessori School. My four year old daughter is developing a strong sense of self, purpose and of others. While developing leadership skills preparing her for the world ahead! Critical today! Thank you GMS

Posted September 24, 2013

Montessori education is not for every child, but every child deserves a chance to develop his or her skills and interests independent of "homogenized" objectives. That is at the core of this teaching style, along with developing curious thinkers and collaborative learners in a practical (versus fantastical) environment. My children have found their "happy places" at this school thanks to the safe (non judgmental or test-centric) learning environment and the teachers they are both blessed to have. And that is worth every penny.

Posted March 10, 2013

Montessori education is becoming more popular and respected as the traditional education system fails many talented kids. My 2 children went to Gladwyne Montessori all the way through 6th grade (at the time) and it truly was the best start in education we could give them and more than we knew at the time. They have become independent thinkers, learners, respectful adolescents with a strong group of friends. Now at traditional schools, we will need to make sure they will retain all the benefits from their Montessori foundation.

Posted December 23, 2012

Our daughter started in the 2 day Stepping Stones program. After about 3 weeks, we had to switch her to the 5 day program because she would cry on the days she wasn't at school, saying Mom, please I want to go to school!, even when we were going to her other activities like Gymboree, parks etc. She simply loves her school and teachers, and that make us a happy mom and dad.

Posted October 30, 2012

My now 5 year old is now in his 3rd year at Gladwyne Montessori. The first year was rough due to separation anxiety and last year was a little better. This year is a whole other story. He bounded out of the car on his first day of kindergarten excited to start the new year. He has learned so much in the first few months as a 3 rd year primary student. It seems that the high standards for academics and behavior that my 3 year old had trouble meeting has caused him to rise to the challenge as a 5 year old. I chose this school for my 3 year old because I could see that they saw the potential for independence and greatness in very young children. My 5 year old is leaning his letters and how to read at the same time though learning the sounds the letters make. This school is truly an amazing hands on a individualized Montessori education. I am so happy to have my son there and to have my younger son start next year.

Posted April 26, 2012

A remarkable school for a solid Montessori education. Long-time teachers and a close school community make this a great place to start school. The small elementary school with two teachers per classroom (and a part-time reading specialist who works with all students) is a hidden gem.

Posted January 4, 2012

We were very unhappy with the quality of the teachers, lack of leadership and mundane academic programs. The teachers were atomotrons--going through the motions. The principal-cool/removed. The discipline was strict: eerily quiet classrooms where children played on their own--not a great way to socialize them. Reviews of my child's progress were given after the deadline to withdraw had passed. Indeed, with declining enrollment, the staff seemed particularly focused on locking in contracts aggressively. As I queried other parents--not one of them could speak enthusiastically/passionately of their experience (as compared to Wetherill School which parents rave about )and it seemed we were all under the sad impression that if a school is very expensive (plus the social pressure to give additional funds is relentless/ a bit underhanded), it must be good. It felt like we were wealthy birds-of-a-feather who were didn't want to admit we were wrong so into the gilded cage we will stay! My advice to other parents-I'd send my child elsewhere so they can experience joy and thrive under love and guidance (and learn their ABC's!)-and not experience this kind of bureaucracy and indifference.

Posted March 15, 2011

Gladwyne Montessori is a warm and nurturing atmosphere. We are so fortunate to have a school like this in our area. Our children have grown and thrived there. The school and its unique program have transformed our children into self-motivated learners who have a real curiosity for the world we live in. I am still in awe at the progress my two older children have made there and look forward to continuing the program with my youngest child . My older daughter was reading and writing by kindergarten and my son is following in the same footsteps. The materials within the classroom are so brilliantly constructed that the children view them as fun and therefore these classroom become joyful learning environments. However, it is more than just the academic concepts that make this school so wonderful. The teachers and staff do a remarkable job teaching the children good values, respect and teamwork. This school has and continues to give my children a solid foundation which results in their love of learning and academic success.

Posted December 1, 2010

Before this school, my child never had any problems with classes. Within a few months, he was crying daily and nightly about school. He became withdrawn; refused to leave the house. Despite daily emails to the school, I always got the same response that he was doing fine. Finally, I went to observe the class. This was glorified daycare with mostly disciplinarian instruction...put this here, put this there. I witnessed withdrawn children just sitting alone by themselves. Where was the nurturing? Where was the guidance? None. I had no communication from the school until it was past the tuition refund deadline and until after I informed them that I would be pulling my son out of school. My son is now at a different school and he is doing beautifully. Since then, I have met at least 6 moms who had similar experiences. You are paying high private school prices for yes, a beautiful facility but for poor teaching with little nurturing. Very poor communication from them as well. I really felt all they cared for was the tuition money. Please don't traumatize your toddler in this way.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff German
Korean
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • American Montessori Society Accreditation (2013)
  • PAIS Re-Accreditation (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Abigail J. Miller
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Gifted / high performing
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Montessori
  • Multi-aged
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts
  • Woodshop

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Board of Trustees
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom