Glen Mills, PA
Students enrolled: 1,224

Garnet Valley Middle School 3

Posted August 13, 2013
I've had nothing but great things to say about Garnet Valley until my child got to the middle school. Never have I met such rude staff. One of the first times I had to stop into the office, the secretary got up and WALKED AWAY while I was talking to her! The principal and assistant principals are not much better. They look right through you, no smiles, no "Hello, How are you?" They make you feel like you're wasting their time. I find it hard to entrust my child to a school where this is the type of behavior you encounter walking into the main office.

Posted June 24, 2013
My child went here from sixth and half way through seventh. She absolutely loved it there.she never once came home unhappy. She was always up beat and loved the kids. She's now in eighth and misses it dearly. She's having some trouble moving on from it though. And they were very helpful to her EIP.

Garnet Valley Middle School 2

Posted March 19, 2013
Parent to one GVMS student and one that we had to pull from GVMS and place in a private school. Poor leadership from the principal. Doesn't respond to emails when notified of problems. More concerned with special programs such as canned food drives and OLWEUS than day to day instruction of your child. There is not a partnership between teachers and parents as the teachers appear to not want to be the "bad guys" by holding students responsible for their grades and school work. Power School has allowed the teachers to expect parents to be the first ones to address grades and homework with students. Special education is hit or miss depending upon to what teacher your child is assigned. There is no continuity from year to year with special ed. student's IEP's. You're essentially reinventing the wheel each year. Across the board, communication is poor from the teachers. You will have to initiate all communication as a complete marking period can elapse before a teacher will initiate contact with you. Finally, the teachers teach to tests like the PSSA not content mastery. District as a whole is only concerned about statistics and funding. Thanks Teacher Unions and No Child Left Behind.

Garnet Valley Middle School 2

Posted March 07, 2013
If your child has a learning disabilty than this is not the school for him/her. I believe that this school is more concerned about achieving high marks on the PSSA than on their students. The teachers withold grades and then make them appear weeks later when it is to late to do anything about it. Also, expect at least an hour to two hours every night for homework. Expect quizes in three different subjects on the same day. Their will be no time for extra curricular activities. Some teachers do care about the students. However, it is overshadowed by the schools goal to have high ratings.

Garnet Valley Middle School 1

Posted April 30, 2012
GVMS is a great school providing your child does not have a learning disability. My husband and I are very dissatisfied on how they handle a child that needs extra assistance in school. No matter how many evaluations you have had where your child's psychiatrist/psychologist feels you need an IEP, the school wants there statistics to say that no child needs an IEP. They have by right to have their psychologist look at the report and their psychologist makes the final decision which means they go by what the school needs for their statistics. Since I am the mother of twins, for one child I rate it 5 stars. For my other child, I rate the system 1 star.

Posted May 24, 2011
Excellent teachers; great curriculum. The academic program is leveled according to students' ability - starting with pre-algebra in grade 6. Very good enrichment level programs for ELA and science. Excellent extra-curricular activities such as after school programs. My kid goes to this school district and I couldn't be more pleased.

Posted June 02, 2009
This school has languages, sports, and even student council. GVMS has clubs that individuals would love! I attending Garnet Valley Middle School, know that the teaching system is great and all students are respectful. As a student, I work very industrious on my school work and recieve the wonderful grades I deserve for my hard work. Unlike other mediocre schools, GVMS strives to do the best tthey can to ensure themselves, parents, students, and newcomers that are schooling is one of the best out there, (not to insult other Middle/ Junior High schools.) Beside from the wonderful Pep Rallys where kids like me cheer on are wonderful school, the port programs are conducive to a students abilitys. Even the 6th graders can join intramurals sports to recieve a higher chance of making the team they choose to tryout for. I am proud to say all students of GVMS are involved!

Posted April 02, 2009

Posted October 10, 2008
I go to this school, and as my first year, I was scared. I though I would be lonely, but boy was I wrong. The teachers made me feel as if I had been with the school since I was 4 years old. This school has satisfied me very much, as well as my parents and family. I definetly appreciate the effort that GVMS has put into making me happy.

Posted August 29, 2008
This school is amazing. The teachers are creative and they make the classes enjoyable, but they still teach us (the students) what we need to learn. Each grade has an assigned princapal and each one of them is superb. The main princapal is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. The extra-curricular activities are fun, like sports from tennis, wrestling, and football, to volleyball, basketball and softball. There are also academic clubs, like newspaper, which comes out multiple times in the month, yearbook club, which gives the students opportunity to be in charge of making the book of books. Art clubs and video club are great for personal expression and they are fun to watch (video club) each morning on the daily announcements. The unified arts are fun and run for thirty-two day intervals. Keyboarding, music, tech. ed., art, cooking/sewing are each great. see next posted review.

Garnet Valley Middle School
601 Smithbridge Rd, Glen Mills, PA  19342
Last modified Garnet Valley Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Garnet Valley Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top