Upattinas School

Private | K-4, 6-12 | 55 students

We are best known for progressive ideals.

Living in Glenmoore

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $387,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,160.

Sweep tile

Posted March 1, 2012

I am a relatively new parent at Upattinas School and we are very pleased! My son said to me recently that this is the best school year that he has ever had!! Upattinas is a very different environment than the typical college prep mania that pervades most high schools. However, with that said, my son feels positively challenged and has actually chosen to take additional classes because he enjoys them so much. I feel comfortable that he is getting excellent preparation for college and beyond. The opportunity to spend several hours a week doing music is also a strong positive for us. - - This is a good environment for my son but a student definitely has to have a good level of motivation and responsibility to get the most out of this environment. Definitely worth checking out!

Posted March 1, 2012

I wish I could have grown up in this school. I'm normally a do-it-yourself-er, but I am happy to pay Upattinas to do this for me in an age where public schools are forced to focus on all the wrong things. Children need time to play in order to grow. They cannot learn without play. School should be an emotionally safe place to explore playing with people, paints, letters, numbers, the natural world and more. Upattinas is that school.

Posted February 29, 2012

As a student of Upattinas I can with out a doubt vouch for the excellence of this progressive school. Upattinas is a safe and loving enviroment where I can go to learn the things that I want to learn and be the person that I want to be. The classes are small and individualized, the community is understanding and supportive, the teachers are great, and my fellow students are awesome! All in All, Upattinas is a magical place!

Posted January 18, 2012

As a current student at Upattinas, this school feels like a home to me. I feel comfortable, accepted, and loved by the community and free to be myself. I feel that I am truly respected by the staff and challenged to work hard and do my best academically. The classes are small which allows lots of in class discussion and individual attention. I feel confident trying new things here and believe we have very strong art and music programs. I would recommend Upattinas to anyone looking for a place that will both challenge and nurture them.

Posted August 14, 2011

I'm a former student (graduated 2003), and in my experience, this school is the best. However, if you're a slacker or just want to get through your school years doing the minimum amount of work, then this is NOT the school for you. You'll be trusted to behave like a responsible young adult and make choices about your own future by creating a customized curriculum that best suits your needs and interests. Unless you're motivated to learn and succeed in your education, you'll probably fall far behind in a school like this. But if you're like I was, the self-motivated, open-minded type who's curious about life and the world, you can take the opportunities Upattinas offers and far exceed your expectations- I personally graduated with 4 extra credits, and my senior year I only had to go in 1 or 2 days a week as I had only one class to complete to graduate. I learned of Upattinas from when I was homeschooled (grades 3 through 7), my mother took me here for annual evaluations. I loved the atmosphere of freedom, caring, and respect I saw during our visits, so later when I was in grade 10, I begged her to let me transfer here from public. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Posted January 12, 2011

The school states that it is a democratic community. It is a family ran business. They promote open communication however, we have found that there is a lot of miscommunication. For 12 wks we attempted to make contact with our son's middle school teacher. He never returned our phone calls. His mother (school director) contacted us weeks later to speak for him?! If your child is not the middle of the road kid forget it! If your child has any form of learning difference this is not the place for them. If your child has any social quirks, this is not the place for them. They called our child a social enigma directly to our face. They told us that he is not a behavioral problem and such a sweet child however, he has "social quirks" The director is the one who delivers the msg. via the grapevine. Personalityconflicts and family related business tend to get in the way of the school. They have a guidance counselor 1 day/wk, but do not expect to be able to utilize her services. The school is NOT open to outside help from the professional community (ie TSS support).

Posted October 11, 2009

I'm a current parent at Upattinas and have been so happy with the caring, supportive and stimulating environment Upattinas has provided my son. It's called an 'alternative' school, but from my way of thinking, all schools should honor children and young adults the way Upattinas does.

Posted June 12, 2009

I am a parent with three children, one still at Upattinas and two adults in college/grad school. As I watched the graduation ceremonies last week I felt so proud of the students and the staff - what a diverse group of kids, working and learning together, and what respect between teachers and students. Anyone looking in would be amazed at the open expressions of love and gratitude. As a parent on the 'inside' I know full well that part of the success my older children are having in college and in their lives as awesome people comes from Upattinas.

Posted April 26, 2009

I am a current student at Upattinas and I have a ton of school pride. It has re-shaped me entirely and has made me a much better, and more confident and independent person. Every child and parent should know about the power of alternative schooling.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 22, 2008

I am an alumni of Upattinas, and a current student at Kutztown University. Upattinas truthfully was the best thing that ever happened in my life. I only spent 2 years of my school career there, but it was that school which shaped me into the person I am today. If it hadn't been for their open learning environment, caring community, and diverse views I would have never grown up. It is a school best suited to students who motivate themselves and enjoy learning. Because the school believe that learning occurs no matter where you are, or how old. they encourage students to discover things on their own and to do their own research into areas that interest them. Teachers are there more as guides than as instructors. If you are looking for these things in a community and school. Upattinas is the original and the best.

Posted October 7, 2006

I am actually not a parent, I am a current student at Upattinas school and I think that it is a great learning environment. I've learned more about life from my two years at Upattinas than I have from my many years in public schools. Not only that, but it's furthered my general school education a great amount. My parents love it too and are proud to have me in such a great, loving place. Alternative schooling is the definite way to go to help kids to grow up smart, happy, and loved.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 13, 2006

I am a parent of a student at Upattinas. There is no guidance for a child. The school is open ended without clear expectations or guidelines. If your child is totally motivated on his own and knows what is needed for sucess then that is the school for your child. If not, it is an expensive babysitter. The Outward Bound teacher and the Chemistry teachers seem to be the only teachers that really care about the students. I have been very disappointed. The school seems to have changed over the last 5 years. They seem confused as to what they are really about. Teacher quality is poor with the exception of Outword Bound teacher and the Chemistry teacher in the High School. It is not a fair Democracy a they profess to be. -Disappointed parent

Asian 5% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Japanese
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

• Community college courses
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses

• Nancy Collins
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Part-time study
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NCACS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Independent Study

• Instrumental music lessons
Performing arts
  • Creative writing

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code