Hempfield Area Senior High School

Public | 9-12

Posted February 13, 2014

Hempfield Area Senior Highschool is the worst school. I was bullied there by football players and they never got in trouble. They ruined my highschool for me and I was held back for no reason. They teachers are awful. Do not go to this school!

Posted December 9, 2013

Hempfield High School is a great school! I just read a lot of the reviews and I will be honest, I do agree with both the positive and negative comments. The teachers are truely amazing. They honestly do everything they can to prepare us for college. I can't tell you how many times my teachers stand there and telll us about things they did in college and give us assignments that prepare us for what they went through. There are a wide variety of activities and clubs. There is something for everyone. If you can't find something, then you haven't tried or looked hard enough. Yes, we do have some bad kids in our school but you really can't blame the school for that. Last time I checked, it wasn't the school raising the kids and doing all of their decision making. Our faculty and peers do they best they can to try and keep us from making bad life decisions and do as much as they can to help us. We have drug awareness assemblys more than twice a year and there are teen issue seminars offered to help any student who is going through some hard times. I don't know anything in great detail, but I do know our school is doing what they can to make our high school experience the best it can be.

Posted November 13, 2013

The top students in the school are very solid. The bottom 15% very weak. A very big school which allows for many electives to be offered.

Posted August 14, 2009

Having had three children graduate from Hempfield Area,and as a teacher in a neighboring district, I must say I am very impressed with the district. The education my children received was excellent. The teachers were challenging and supportive. There has been lots of criticism about the construction of the field house. I am happy that my kids had these facilities to utilize during heir time at HA. Hempfield does have the political problems and bickering that plagues most schools, but overall, the school district is great.

Posted October 9, 2008

Our child currently attends Hempfield High School. She previously attended Wendover Middle School. We have been extremely pleased with both the schools and the teachers. Her teachers have motivated her and boosted her self-esteem. She is currently enrolled in several AP classes. The classes are hard, but the teachers are available for tutoring. Our daughter's out of school time is spent with the Hempfield Band. This keeps her very busy; however, the band experience has been wonderful and something she will never forget. She has met other highly motivated students, as well as caring, devoted teachers and band parents. Overall, our experience with Hempfield has been excellent.

Posted October 3, 2008

Hempfield was a complete waste of my time. The district is focused on pushing funds into the sports, etc, instead of adopting new innovative curriculum. I'm currently an educator and pursuing my masters, and I can say if I visited Hempfield now and looked at the teaching methods it's almost archaic. I won't even get into the politically charged hiring methods and useless teachers unions that keep these school continuing their mediocrity. I'm glad to be in a progressive area where education is always changing and adapting to what the needs of the community are.

Posted July 7, 2008

I realy like it here... I get a good education and its in a nice, realtively quiet area. Too many kids that go there complain about it, but compared to other shools, the opportunities we get here are pretty good. We get a great education and there are plenty of clubs and activities to join. And with the size of the student body, you can meet a ton of people and make lots of good friends, because alot of the people here are great.

Posted January 31, 2008

I am completing my Bachelor's of Arts at Thiel College this semester and, honestly, Hempfield is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I felt prepared to go onto college, but I was still scared like most people are because it's a new environment with new people. I have found out that Hempfield offers many more languages than most other high schools (I go to school with people who weren't offered any foreign languages!) and I was given the opportunity to take a Psych and Sociology course there which helped me choose my majors; Crim. Justice and Sociology with a minor in Psych. Hempfield is a good school, unfortunately, no one realizes that until they leave!

Posted July 5, 2007

Honestly the school is way too big for me and I really dont like it their at all. The student population is too great and there are not that many teachers to fulfill all of these students needs.

Posted November 28, 2006

I have attended Hempfield in the past and am currently in college now. I believe that no high school truly prepares you for what to expect at the college level, but Hempfield did the best job I could have hoped for. I participated on sports teams, in band, choir, and theater. I thought the teachers were very involved with their students. I also thought that even the academic, non-honor classes were taught to the highest quality. After meeting students, and marrying one, from other schools, I was surprised, and thankful, to have such a good education. Many of my classmates have gone on to earn excellent careers already.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 17, 2006

In the honors programs, the academics are great. The rest aren't so amazing; many 'academic' classes are taught laxadasically and result in no educational gain by the students. The band is also excellent. Too much money is spent on sports teams, however. As a result, there isn't enough money in the budget to buy PAPER or even REPLACEMENT BOOKS. The Guidance Dept. is terrible and completely unhelpful - just like the rest of the administration. The cafeteria produces sub-par, revolting food, is poorly lit, and is somewhat unsanitary. If the school were simply better run at the administrative level it would be a perfect fit for everyone. As it is now, it's just mediocre.

Posted May 11, 2006

This is coming from a student who involves himself in the AP courses and many activities at Hempfield. Academically, I can promise you that there is no school in the region that is better than Hempfield in advanced courses. All of my teachers are excellent and manage to get much accomplished in and outside of class. I go on trips and compete in interscholastic competitions, and in meeting students from other districts I find my classes to be on par with and, in many cases, far beyond other classes from different districts. I recently have taken 7 ap tests for college credit and my scores were all high enough to earn me college credit. Parents get involved (sometimes too much in sports cases) and our marching band is renowned. Every form of extracurricular activity is available, or if it isn't, staff will work with students to make it available.

Posted April 3, 2006

Great academic program, great sports programs along with band and other activities available. Parents can be involved as much as they want with lots of areas were parent volunteers are need to help out. Overall good school but very large.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2012.

476 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

476 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

473 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2012.

485 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

White98%
Economically disadvantaged97%
Students with disabilities (IEP)90%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4345 Route 136