Susquehanna Twp High School

Public | 9-12

Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2014

I just graduated and honestly the faculty could care less. The teachers don't really seem to care whether a student learns or not. I didn't really learn anything the past four years. I had a horrible high school experience here.

Posted March 28, 2014

My daughter is a freshman at the high school and she has excellent teachers who truly care about her and a terrific group of drama-free friends. I can't say enough good things about her gym teacher, Mr. Cook. He's a gem. She's fortunate to be able to take honors classes with students who actually want to learn, so she has not experienced any of the discipline issues that some parents complain about in the district. I honestly believe that most of the behavior issues stem from kids whose parents aren't involved in their lives. People want to blame all of the problems on the administration, but in my opinion, the problems start at home. My children know that my husband and I have high expectations for them and they behave accordingly. The best schools have involved parents who actually care about their children's education. End of story.

Posted October 17, 2012

Having look at all the comments, it truly concerns me about the direction the school district is heading towards. I was a student of Thomas Holtzman when he was a teacher. He always empathize respect for one another. This is what we have lost during the last few years since he left the school. We should always remember him and his ideas That means you kids, teenagers, adults, students, teachers,principles, school board members erverybody should help teach the way we were taught to respect one another. I TRULY LOVE THIS SUSQUEHANNA SCHOOL DISTRICT

Posted August 12, 2012

I didn't like this school. I am an honor student and was bullied constantly. My brothers and sisters and I all are all now in cyber school. This used to be a good school I heard. Now too many fights and it's not easy to concentrate in classes. Very noisy, tons of interruptions and outbursts. Rude obnoxious kids and ghetto mentality.

Posted July 29, 2012

THIS SCHOOL IS A DISGRACE! If you want truly love your children this is NOT the school for you. One of our sons was beat up on a daily basis. And when our youngest was sent home with blood all over his shirt from being punched in the nose by a fellow student who was jealous he made a sports team, that was it. Of course as the other parents mentioned, the school did nothing to discipline the student who assaulted our sons. I heard the girls are even worse there. Our kids are in cyber school now and we love it! What a shame we had to do this. We never would have if the school even pretended to care. The school seems to has become GHETTO! Honestly the entire school district has become ghetto. Our neighbors have seen a dramatic change over the years. This school is not what it used to be -Which was a very respectable school with morals, values and a great education without bullying and distractions. Do not send your kids here if you LOVE them. Just do not.

Posted April 4, 2012

I do not love this school, in fact it has many fights and arrests. It is, in most classrooms, very unorganized and though we have five princples to oversee teachers, some of them don't teach much. There are almost no rewards for the students who exhibit good behavior at all times, but many rewards for undisciplinary students who show improvement every-so-often. We have broken sinks and weave on our toilets along with ants on the floor and an unbarable stench in the band hallway's bathroom. This school also has enough money to buy new things for our standium, but I have a classroom that isn't even seperated from another with a wall. On the bright side, it is an incredibly diverse school and I get along with mostly everyone. Books, no matter how tattered, go out to everyone with few exceptions of brand new classroom sets. The extracurricular activities offered are phenomenal and as a cheerleader and an active participant in many clubs, I enjoy them very well. They have an extracurricular for anyone with just about any interest, not to mention that they are always looking for new ideas. Academically, we need help, as seen even in our test scores, but extracurriculars are awesome.

Posted January 17, 2009

I love this school, just like every other school in the world we have our issue but nothing major and certainly nothing that limits a student's ability to preform his or her school work.

Posted November 26, 2008

i go to susquehanna middle school and i do not like the fights everyday and the drama and the academics kids in my school really don't take them seriously.

Posted October 17, 2008

I love this school. The range of diverse students is never ending. Anyone that makes any disrespectful remark towards our school should take a closer look.

Posted August 27, 2008

I think Susquehanna High School is a quality high school providing a quality education to our children. There have been discipline problems this past year but parents are rallying around and starting to get involved. Teachers, parents and students working together can solve school problems.

Posted August 24, 2008

I don't like what is starting to happen at this school. I feel the fights during school and the learning is starting to go down hill.

Posted July 14, 2008

I love it here. There is so much school spirit and diversity. I wouldn't want to go to any other school.

Posted April 16, 2008

Right now this school is going through alot of problems. Disrespect toward adults, no respect, code of coduct is at its worst I feel that the animals are running the zoo. The adults have lost control. I feel bad for the teachers that are trying to teach the kids that would like to learn but teachers have to take care of the bad kids that the good kids are being neglected. I hope the Hanna pride can be restored again.

Posted September 10, 2007

I love this school. Some people say that there are discipline problems, there aren't. We haven't had fight s for a while. Yes there is drama, but all schools have drama. We have awsome teachers who support us and tell us that we can be whatever we want to be. Us kids support the school, I tell my parents I won't go anywhere else. My friends are so diverse, and there are no cliques. We all get along so well. We have a higher expectations grade wise, put most of our grades come from in-class participation and projects. The teachers even give us help on our projects, I'm a fresman in 2007-2008. There was no 'Innitiation' that I had to go thruogh. Our extra-curricular is awsome, we have everything thing from drama club to key club. We have chorus and band and a club about the 'Future business leaders of America!

Posted July 3, 2007

Academically, they set great standards. Very encouraging with the grades and extra curriculars. Good counseling program too. I see what some are saying about the discipline, It seemed to be slowly getting worse as I was leaving. I enjoyed my high school career and to tell you the truth personally my life wasn't great. A lot of school life really depends on the parents though. There are definitely some excellent teachers and administrators there that is for sure. I guarantee I wouldn't have been exposed to so many different races/religions people if it weren't for this school. I give it an A.

Posted March 12, 2007

The district is very limited in academic growth, yet taxes increase every year. Younger teachers and inexperienced leadership have resulted in 'teaching the test' (PSSA). The school books and class cirriculum don't allow parents, or students for that matter, to follow what is being taught or expected. Teachers love to test on material that isn't in the text (ie, math). The district continues to see an increase in reduced lunches, which is an indicator of household income and academic levels. Very dissappointing, as this used to be an premier school.

Posted July 25, 2006

I graduated from this school district in 2002, and I just graduated college this spring. I feel that my education at Susquehanna prepared me for success in college and in life. For the most part, my teachers challenged and supported me. My experiences in the district taught me to respect and appreciate people whose heritage differs from my own. Susquehanna does have its problems like any other district, but I would definitely recommend it.

Posted May 10, 2006

Supportive administration and staff. Outstanding music program. High academic standards.

Posted April 17, 2006

Good Academics, school programs...on the surface, this school looks great-ethnic diversity...good teachers...the downfall is lack of administrative discipline. The schhol is afraid of the the kids and parents. There is a great educational experience to be had at this school, and it will improve if the school can remember that the grown-ups are in charge. Bonus: it is one of participating districts for Dauphin County Technical School-a fabulous alternative!

Posted January 18, 2006

Great school, very diverse, strong academics and good repuation

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2012.

223 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

219 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

213 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2012.

216 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

White90%
Economically disadvantaged59%
Students with disabilities (IEP)53%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3500 Elmerton Ave