No rating

Holy Name of Jesus School

Private | K-8

Student diversity

Living in Harrisburg

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $180,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted January 13, 2014

Our children and family has been blessed by Holy Name of Jesus School. The teachers go above and beyond expectations. We feel part of a big family. Not all of our children were perfect. Holy Name of Jesus worked with us to identify their God-given talents. Besides education, the school is in the business of getting our children to heaven. We have made friends with other families at Holy Name of Jesus and feel a part of the community. Highlights-A teacher told me that something had changed with our daughter and she had trouble reaching her. Our daughter needed glasses! One teacher noticed my son's aptitude with computers at an early age and started a computer club. This son graduated and studied computers at college. A teacher notice a tongue thrust in another son and advised me to allow the speech pathologist at the school to look at him to correct the problem.They are always looking for parent volunteers.. My daughter was in a Math club afterschool that was led by a dad. All volunteers have their Youth Protection clearance and background checks. We feel our children get individual attention at Holy Name of Jesus. Holy Name is Middle States accredited.

Posted January 13, 2014

Holy Name of Jesus is an excellent school. Both of my children attend Holy Name of Jesus school and they are flourishing. My children love going to school everyday. I am blessed to send my children there!!!

Posted January 22, 2012

My best advice is to avoid this place. Leadership has absolutely no interest in engaging parents. Academics suffer in this place, despite an upgraded physical plant and the fact that this is the wealthiest parish in the diocese. The school puts too much emphasis on multiple different competitions and extracurriculars, and to my shock (assuming Catholic schools were the same to better academically), students are not on par with their peers at local public schools in some classes. There is surprisingly little homework. This is probably done so kids can stay in school until 9 pm to rehearse a play for months on end (including school holidays), and can have time to compete in multiple local and national activities that faculty and administration push them into, and feel will make the school look good. Language offerings are a joke; science and math are sorely lacking. I would definitely avoid this place and consider other options.

Posted August 16, 2011

This school has problems one of them being that some of the sports programs are being run by a lot of non catholics and some of the things going on is terrible like a lot of dishonesty and unfairness. Non catholics are being put ahead of the catholics in sports like football and basketball. Some parents even put their kids in the school just to play the sports and they arent even catholics, or they do and say what they have to just to get their kids to play in the sports programs or go to the school but dont even believe in what the school is representing. The new principle should take control of this.Until that stops everyone is going to suffer from it.

Posted July 14, 2011

The leadership that left is under the same leadership that just took over. The fate of Holy Name is undetermined and many good children were judged unfairly at this school and asked to leave over the past few years by the both of them. Leadership should have been asked to leave not the students.

Posted July 7, 2011

Holy Name is not recognized as often as it should be as a great school. We have had nothing but great experiences here. The teachers are outstanding and really care about the students. The parents are excited about the new principal. The parent involvement in my son's grade is great. We have to turn away parent help sometimes. I am happy that we chose Holy Name as a school for our children.

Posted April 25, 2011

For kindergarten age, our experience has been phenomenal. We lucked out with an outstanding teacher. Our child seems challenged, and seems to be flourishing in the environment. We will be sending our child back next year for first grade; however, we'll make our decision for future years on a case-by-case (yearly) basis, because of the changes in leadership of the church and lack of knowledge of how the school performs above the kindergarten grade level. We were disappointed to find that there is nearly zero diverisity in the student population and hope this will begin to change over time.

Posted March 29, 2011

Teachers seem very unaware of what is going on in there class rooms!! Kids are being mean and rude and hurtful towards other students and teachers seem oblivious to it...nice 0 tolerance bully rule! My oldest is also a straight A student, and it wasnt until I logged on to Edline to check on her grades for the new semester that I found out that she now has an F in her best subject!! Why wasn't I made aware that there were problems...part of the F is due to 2 zeros on test from being absent!!! She is 9, as a teacher she should make sure the students take their test the student should not have to hunt down the teacher!! And I understand it's a catholic school but to flat out tell a CHILD that what they think or believe is wrong because it is not the "catholic" way is horrible. My child came home in tears twice because what she thought and believed in her heart was shot down by her teacher...she was 7 are you kidding me!! This will probably be my childrens last year at Holy Name!

Posted January 24, 2011

Very sad how unfair the treatment of some of the students are. The principles daughter does more wrong in the classroom than anyone talks in class more than the other students then goes home and tells her mother on the other students and they get suspensions etc for behavior. A few of the teachers throw temper tantrums and sit on the computer while the classroom is a freeforall. The office is a daycare for the principles younger under school age children. This principle is unfair to students while her own children get away with everything and laugh about it. Many wonderful children have left this school because of her.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 26, 2009

I have a child who just finished at Holy Name and I have been very concerned about the downward spiral the school continues to be on. I have moved my younger child from Holy Name to Paxtonia and have been very pleased with the faculty and instruction at Paxtonia. My older child was never challenged at Holy Name and they have recently let go of some of the better teachers. Holy Name has lost tons of kids and parental involvement over the last several years.

Posted April 29, 2009

Holy Name of Jesus is on the brink of destruction. They are 2 years behind in the Math curriculum and are not equipted to handle special needs or children with learning disibilities. As a parent I learned that lesson the hard way and had to pull my child because they were unable and unwilling to give my child the help they needed. I truely recommend checking into your public school system.

Posted January 23, 2009

Holy Name is becoming a truly changed school. These changes are for the better! They are updating their safety and taking into account all students levels of learning. My child has some learning disabilities and they are working very closely with me to help my child learn to the best of his/her ability. I have had children going to Holy Name for 20+ years and yes it has changed but change is good and needed to keep up with this world. God is Great!!!

Posted February 3, 2008

This will be the last year that I will send my child to Holy Name. The school has been going 'down hill' for the past two years. My child is not challenged by the curriculum. The school is cliquish. The atmosphere socially does not include all children and the teachers seem unaware, unconcerned or both. I am extremely disappointed in the school for the past two years.

Posted July 15, 2007

Holy Name was a great school, quite possibly one of the best, however recent changes that have been made has disenfranchised the both the faculty and the parents. My children were no longer challenged by the curriculum. The faculty, while wonderful people, have been subjected to an environment that does not allow them to feel free to lead and be stewards of the children. The level of parental involvement at one time was phenomenal. Lately, there has been a noticeable decline in the diversity of families that are willing to help out, the atmosphere has become decidedly more cliquish, which more than likely has turned off many who have been involved in the past and deter others who would like serve the children.

Posted January 18, 2007

My children have been at Holy Name of Jesus School for the past 3 years. I am very pleased with the changes that have been put in place by our new principal, Dr. Licata. My children are receiving a quality education in a Christian environment. Dr. Licata has made many changes and I have only seen positive effects on the children.

Posted September 15, 2006

When my children started at Holy Name I thought it was a wonderful school. There have been a lot of changes especially this year and it has affected the children. Not only have they changed the staff they have changed the grading system. How are we supposed to know how our children are doing when hey aren't even receiving letter grades. There is no discipline this year. No consequences for actions made. How can you run a school like this?

Posted August 9, 2006

If you would have asked me 2 years ago what I thought of Holy Name, I would have said that it was the best school around to provide both an educational and spiritual growth for all children. But since our new principal has taken over, I cannot say that anymore.

Posted April 21, 2006

Needs to have the new school building issue worked out. Facilities need update.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 9, 2003

Holy Name of Jesus is a great school. I am very happy with the quality of education and the religious instruction my children receive there. It is a wonderful faith community. there are many dedicated faculty who serve the students and reinforce their faith through their actions.

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious