K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted November 30, 2015
I always knew my child would be bullied at some point. I just never imagined the teacher would be the bully.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted November 30, 2015
This had to be the most unChrist-like environment in the classroom that you could imagine! A little boy was made to cry for drawing a picture of Jesus and His Disciples because he was suppose to draw a picture about Charlotte's web. The teacher laughed about making the child cry.

Holy Name of Jesus School 5

Posted January 13, 2014
Our children and family has been blessed by Holy Name of Jesus School. The teachers go above and beyond expectations. We feel part of a big family. Not all of our children were perfect. Holy Name of Jesus worked with us to identify their God-given talents. Besides education, the school is in the business of getting our children to heaven. We have made friends with other families at Holy Name of Jesus and feel a part of the community. Highlights-A teacher told me that something had changed with our daughter and she had trouble reaching her. Our daughter needed glasses! One teacher noticed my son's aptitude with computers at an early age and started a computer club. This son graduated and studied computers at college. A teacher notice a tongue thrust in another son and advised me to allow the speech pathologist at the school to look at him to correct the problem.They are always looking for parent volunteers.. My daughter was in a Math club afterschool that was led by a dad. All volunteers have their Youth Protection clearance and background checks. We feel our children get individual attention at Holy Name of Jesus. Holy Name is Middle States accredited.

Holy Name of Jesus School 4

Posted January 13, 2014
Holy Name of Jesus is an excellent school. Both of my children attend Holy Name of Jesus school and they are flourishing. My children love going to school everyday. I am blessed to send my children there!!!

Posted January 22, 2012
My best advice is to avoid this place. Leadership has absolutely no interest in engaging parents. Academics suffer in this place, despite an upgraded physical plant and the fact that this is the wealthiest parish in the diocese. The school puts too much emphasis on multiple different competitions and extracurriculars, and to my shock (assuming Catholic schools were the same to better academically), students are not on par with their peers at local public schools in some classes. There is surprisingly little homework. This is probably done so kids can stay in school until 9 pm to rehearse a play for months on end (including school holidays), and can have time to compete in multiple local and national activities that faculty and administration push them into, and feel will make the school look good. Language offerings are a joke; science and math are sorely lacking. I would definitely avoid this place and consider other options.

Posted August 16, 2011
This school has problems one of them being that some of the sports programs are being run by a lot of non catholics and some of the things going on is terrible like a lot of dishonesty and unfairness. Non catholics are being put ahead of the catholics in sports like football and basketball. Some parents even put their kids in the school just to play the sports and they arent even catholics, or they do and say what they have to just to get their kids to play in the sports programs or go to the school but dont even believe in what the school is representing. The new principle should take control of this.Until that stops everyone is going to suffer from it.

Posted July 14, 2011
The leadership that left is under the same leadership that just took over. The fate of Holy Name is undetermined and many good children were judged unfairly at this school and asked to leave over the past few years by the both of them. Leadership should have been asked to leave not the students.

Holy Name of Jesus School 5

Posted July 07, 2011
Holy Name is not recognized as often as it should be as a great school. We have had nothing but great experiences here. The teachers are outstanding and really care about the students. The parents are excited about the new principal. The parent involvement in my son's grade is great. We have to turn away parent help sometimes. I am happy that we chose Holy Name as a school for our children.

Holy Name of Jesus School 4

Posted April 25, 2011
For kindergarten age, our experience has been phenomenal. We lucked out with an outstanding teacher. Our child seems challenged, and seems to be flourishing in the environment. We will be sending our child back next year for first grade; however, we'll make our decision for future years on a case-by-case (yearly) basis, because of the changes in leadership of the church and lack of knowledge of how the school performs above the kindergarten grade level. We were disappointed to find that there is nearly zero diverisity in the student population and hope this will begin to change over time.

Holy Name of Jesus School 2

Posted March 29, 2011
Teachers seem very unaware of what is going on in there class rooms!! Kids are being mean and rude and hurtful towards other students and teachers seem oblivious to it...nice 0 tolerance bully rule! My oldest is also a straight A student, and it wasnt until I logged on to Edline to check on her grades for the new semester that I found out that she now has an F in her best subject!! Why wasn't I made aware that there were problems...part of the F is due to 2 zeros on test from being absent!!! She is 9, as a teacher she should make sure the students take their test the student should not have to hunt down the teacher!! And I understand it's a catholic school but to flat out tell a CHILD that what they think or believe is wrong because it is not the "catholic" way is horrible. My child came home in tears twice because what she thought and believed in her heart was shot down by her teacher...she was 7 are you kidding me!! This will probably be my childrens last year at Holy Name!

6190 Allentown Blvd, Harrisburg, PA  17112
Last modified Holy Name of Jesus School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Holy Name of Jesus School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top