Posted July 31, 2014
If you do decide to send your child to school here, my advice to you is to volunteer as a parent helper, or work here yourself. This will guarantee that you will not only be privy to gossip about your child's classmates, but you will also ensure your child will have preference over other children and will be found blameless if ever involved in an incident. Elementary level principal has basic elementary skills in how to handle children. She does not trust her teachers to handle everyday situations because she micromanages them herself. I have observed her over-reacting and handling problems in a one-sided manner with poor mediation skills. Definitely not a Christian caliber! Headmaster is good at under-reacting and avoiding problems. Together they make a great team. Focus in this school is not character-building, and it certainly isn't academics. The curriculum is in no way rigorous enough to prepare kids for college. Emphasis in this school is FUNDRAISING! HCS will overwhelm you with their tuition and constant demands for handouts and underwhelm you with their academics, athletic program, students' standardized test scores, and in practicing the Christian values they preach.

Posted June 22, 2014
My son has attended this school for two years. It is a small school, but it is great because each teacher knows all of the student's names. All of the kids know each other and seem to be pretty close to one another. My son as learned so much and was given more attention when he needed it in certain subjects. I would recommend this school to anyone who was looking for a Christian school to send their child to.

Posted June 12, 2014
My family is so pleased with Harrisburg Christian School. The Academics really prepare the students, and the extra-curricular activities are wonderful. This school is truly creating the leaders that our society needs. The staff, is AMAZING!!! The way conflict is handled in a fair and proper method is very impressive. I would recommend this school to anyone. This school truly is ahead of many, again we are very pleased.

Posted January 17, 2014
We have been parents at this school for six years now and have two children at the school. My husband and I are very pleased with all aspects of the school. I feel that the school Is a great school in all aspects academically, the quality of the faculty, parental involvement and how the leadership team ( principals) handle issues and conflict. I ask parents that are looking at the school to book a tour, ask questions, look at our students test scores and compare them to other schools.... then make the choice that is right for you and your student. That is what we did 6 years ago and it was the best choice for us. Our children are excelling in all avenues, THANK YOU HARRISBURG CHRISTIAN.

Posted December 06, 2013
Curriculum relies on memorization much heavier than critical thinking skills. You will be preached to about partnering with the school to raise your child, and as long as you do things their way, your partnership will be successful. Principal actually said to me that the school couldn't afford to give my child individualized attention. At $8500/year and only a handful of students in the classroom, that is EXACTLY what I thought I was paying for. Now I am paying for it at a school whose employees know what they're doing, and offers things to make my child more well-rounded. Don't waste your money here.

Harrisburg Christian School 3

Posted November 18, 2013
Students' understanding of Scripture is excellent. Academics seem on par with other area schools. However, in the past few years, graduating seniors have matriculated into easy colleges. Infrastructure is roomy for the current number enrolled. Art room, library, gym, and cafeteria are all lovely and ample. Turnover and newness of teachers is a concern, as is the mold problem and sulphuric smell from the water fountain in the main hallway. As parents, we were able to partner effectively with HCS for several years. When the new elementary principal took over, her power and control issues contributed heavily to us ending our partnership with HCS. More than once, principal overreacted to parental complaints, took sides inappropriately, and exaggerated situations from molehill to mountain. Raised her voice at one of us parents when our child unknowingly committed a minor infraction. In investigating another minor infraction, she intimidated our child into silence, which she perceived as a confession to a major incident. Used non-Biblical solution. She shut down communication when we attempted to resolve Biblically (Matthew, per school handbook). When confronted, changed her story.

Posted September 25, 2013
Good elementary and middle school, but very substandard high school. Students are leaving in droves. Students who transfer from public schools, are way more advanced than HCS students. For instance, Freshman students are taking mostly sophomore and junior classes. HCS students who transfer to public schools have to take summer classes to catch up otherwise they have to take classes in lower grades. The courses are very basic, yet they are called honors or college prep just to make it seem like the school is advanced. My student should not be in an honors science class but that was the only option. Also there should be no reason why a student should have three study halls. The new high school principal is trying to make a name for himself by changing petty things. The school is always coming up with ways to ask for money by making students buy T-shirts or sweat shirts. If you don't buy it then the student wont be able to dress down with everybody else. The administration tend to be rude and snobbish. They never want to admit when they are wrong. The school looks very good on the outside. Just beware and research before you send your child.

Posted February 21, 2013
our 3 children all attend Harrisburg Christian and we have been impressed with the atmosphere of grace, the intentionality of teachers to know their students well, and the attention to the academics. We are thankful for the instilling of service in our kids, and the desire of the administration to walk with parents through the development of their children's character and abilities. We also appreciate the athletics program, the caliber of coaching. The Music program is also well developed, with instruments beginning in elementary and band, vocal and bells throughout the middle and high school years. There is an annual musical, and it is incredibly orchestrated, you would never think you're at a "small school." The culture is also really family-oriented, All in all, we were looking for a school where christian character would be represented in all facets of the school day.

Posted January 25, 2011
Have been more than satisfied with the advanced academic offerings that my children have received all throughout their elementary, middle school and high school years at HCS. As gifted students, they enjoyed the Challenge Enrichment Class and as high school students have been challenged by the 10 Advanced Placedment and Dual Enrollment courses that are offered at HCS. Also, many opportunities to be involved in co-curricular (Athletics, Fine Arts, Student Government, etc.). The Faculty are highly educated, caring individuals that invest in the students not only during class, but before and after school as well. Fantastic School!

Harrisburg Christian School 4

Posted January 23, 2007
Awesome school - oustanding offerings of AP classes and solid academic performance in the elementary too. Sports teams do well especially the boys and girls soccer programs and field hockey. Lots of opportunities in music, art and other extracurricular activities. Tuition is well worth the educational, spiritual and cocurricular opportunities.

Harrisburg Christian School
2000 Blue Mountain Parkway, Harrisburg, PA  17112
Last modified Harrisburg Christian School is a Private school that serves grades K-12
Harrisburg Christian School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top