Bad
Good

The technology available in the classrooms and level of care provided to the students by the teacher is exceptional. My kids only attended one year due to work relocation and this school was missed before we were gone. All throughout the summer and even on family vacations my kids have requested for us to take their picture and send to their teachers. Ms. Kautz, Flythe, & Kelly are names routinely mentioned in our household. They are awesome! Thanks for the wonderful memories. Sincerely, The Risch Family

I can not express the gratitude that I have for this elementary school...The professionalism is outstanding!! The staff in all areas go way beyond their call of duty in maintaining a healthy environment for all who attend and enter....I applaud this school along with it's staff..I cannot think of a better school..I cannot express myself further than what I have already...From maintaining a strict mental health establishment within the school and ensuring the safety of the students and staff who deal with any of their troubled kid's..KUDOS !!

This is a wonderful school. The teachers go above and beyond to provide a great education for all the students. The school is very diverse, students are well behaved and appear to enjoy school.

I wish I would have made the change with my kids sooner. They attended private school until we couldn't take the blatant favoritism there anymore and left. I have no idea why CD East schools get such a bad rapport. All 3 of my kids were said to have learning issues at their private school and were constantly told by support staff that they would never be able to do certain things. Oh yeah?? Since coming to CD East schools, my daughter excels in reading and no longer needs support. The staff thinks it's pretty ridiculous that her private school labeled her as having a learning disability. She simply learns a different way. She would shy away from reading because she had zero confidence and now all she wants to do is read. I highly recommend South Side, CD East Middle and East High. The diversity is wonderful, teachers are excellent, you just have to make the effort to be an involved parent. I have never had a complaint from either of my 3 children about going to school since moving to this district 4 years ago. We should have come long ago.

Fighting is an issue. Apparently some students are permitted to punch other kids without getting into much trouble at all. The majority of the children are very disrespectful towards the teachers and other students. That all starts at home...but the teachers/principal do not correct the out of control behavior. Also the kids don't get enough homework because most won't do it. So the good kids who want to learn will not be prepared for middle school.

Since starting at South Side in 2005, I have seen how much my three daughters have grown academically and socially because of the academic and social environment provided by the administration and teachers. The school has an excellent Learning Support staff that really works along with parent's to ensure student's in need of learning support receive a high quality education. Teachers are easily accessible via telephone and email and respond promptly. The principal genuinely cares about the students, has an open door policy and is available for conferences whenever parent's feel they are warranted. The PTA provides wonderful extracurricular activities for the students and works hard to ensure that the they have a lot of fun activities in which to participate. The diversity is wonderful. Like all schools, South Side has it share of problems but the staff works hard to address them. The problems are minimal compared to the successes!

Last modified South Side El School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.