Havertown, PA

Posted January 03, 2014
Saint denis was a great community unil some people came in and changed everything the teachers now are mean and rude.The cliques are terrible if you are looking to send your child there.I would suggest looking other where,because this is a terrible school

St. Denis School 1

Posted July 03, 2012
I recently attended this school and my parents and I completely agree with the term "cliquish" to describe parents, and the students. I understand that cliques are common, especially with girls but they were just unwelcoming completely.Recess was unsupervised which made it easy for bullys to play cruel tricks on me. The academic programs were pathetic and I found myself bored most of the time.The music program is taught by an amature embarresed students infront of the class that did not fit in.The cliques in my grade with girls were formed in field hockey which I played but recieved no playing time because of politics. I begged my parents to send me to another school which eventually worked and I went to public school which was amazing, I had great teachers even my favorite, which inspired me to write poetry and even became a published poet in 8th grade. I excelled in field hockey and found great friendships that I still have today. I highly recommend any parent interested in sending their kids to which will now be Cardinal Foley Regional to look into other options such as Haverford Middle School, where they will be offered more oportunities, and a much better quality education.

Posted February 26, 2011
The review below is Pollyanna-ish and untrue. The other reviews have been much more accurate. Basically, if you fit the following qualifications, mot definitely send your children to SDS. Otherwise, use Haverford Twp. public schools; you and your children will be much happier and will not feel like outsiders: 1. You are upper middle class or wealthy with NO cash flow problems 2. The mother of the family does not work and can spend large amounts of time at school volunteering and working on committees 3. Your children are athletically talented If you do not fit these prerequisites, please do yourself a favor and send your children to public school. You and they will be happier.

Posted January 20, 2011
I agree with the parent who posted on August 18, 2010 that St. Denis is very strong academically and that the teachers are excellent. I don't agree with the assertion that the St. Denis parents are socially cliquish. I believe that there are parents who get more involved with the school than others do due to work schedules, etc. As with any community, these people gravitate towards one another and become friends. I have never seen or heard of any of these people pushing others away. I personally don't have the time to volunteer as much as I would like to and therefore I don't get to know most of the parents, but I don't condemn those that do. The school encourages parents to become involved and some have more time than others. They get to know each other. All parents have the same opportunity. St. Denis is a very good school for our children and can be very good for parents too - if you allow yourself to do it.

St. Denis School 2

Posted December 23, 2010
Contrary to the reviews posted, as a recent graduate, St. Denis is not what other parents and students have said. Knowing firsthand, St. Denis gives you the education that you pay for yearly- about 2,700 for tuition. It is not academically rigorous or filled with opportunities. Up to 5th grade, it was satisfactory. The lower school is much stronger than the middle school and can say it did educate its students fairly well. However, once you reach middle school in 5th grade, it deteriorates. I was not challenged and did busy work most of the time. The teachers are mostly bad, with an exception of a few of them who do care and only need the money to stay there. It really did not prepare me for higher education, and I strongly recommend that you transfer your child to a quality school once they finish 4th grade, as many smart parents have done. If you can, it is the best to enroll them in a private school where they won't have to worry about the struggles of middle school and be more focused on their education. Hope this was helpful.

Posted August 18, 2010
I have 2 children that attend this school. Academically, it is extremely strong. The teachers are excellent and educationally up to date. The technology and science programs are superb. The principal, who is now gone was weak and unassertive, and allowed a group of parents to bully her around. There is a very cliquish social environment among the parents, as stated in other reviews. Our new principal is a nun, and many parents are very excited by that, as they hope to see the end of a core group of parents controlling the school.

Posted January 10, 2010
I love this school teachers r great and we get reconition from the capital building white house and Ed rendell for being a top school in u.s.a.

Posted December 15, 2009
If grading the teachers and classes I would give it 5 stars. However, I agree completely in a previous review 'children have a bit too much to say and are very fresh to other children. The principal does not take care of problems that are serious and does not show leadership! School is very good in education, but needs to work on respect and core values.' The cliquish social environment, lack of supervision at recess, and lack of leadership have brought this school down in recent years.

Posted July 19, 2008

Posted December 13, 2007
Wonderful! I love the principal!

St. Denis School