Posted November 09, 2014
This school has lost touch with the community. students and parents. School has been on years of steady decline and it continues. No accountable allows for costly mistakes and it shows. I was once told "I don't care what the parents say" when explaining what a mother told me. Besides other issues I witnessed and words I heard used makes me understand fully why this school is struggling.

Posted October 16, 2012
Abington Friends School is an amazing school with amazing teachers and students. Everyday I go into school excited, and can't wait for long breaks to end to get back to school. I feel like I can tell my teachers anything, and I feel excepted and like I can express how I feel to my peers and students. Everyone in faculty are open to discussion about everything, whether it's school-related or not, making the connection between student and teacher much stronger. I will admit, it's not hard to see when some of the wealthier students are getting special treatment, but that rarely happens, and there is a wide variety of people of different races, social class, age, size, etc. Overall, I'd highly suggest this school to anyone. The moment you go through the door you can tell that it's different. I love only have 80 kids in my class (and being the biggest grade in the school), and calling my teachers by their first name, and I never want to leave.

Posted May 22, 2012
During my son's years at AFS, he seemed annoyed by the treatment of the young athletes, he felt that the teachers there sometimes picked on the varsity athletes for obvious reasons. Over the 4 years he was there, I found the school to be very tolerate and fair to all the students I observed. But it is now after my son has graduated that I have come appreciated this school and love it for what it provided my son, he misses this school everyday dearly and the memories will last a lifetime. I now am a major advocate for Abington Friends.

Posted March 30, 2012
Abington Friends was mired in favoritism towards the wealthier students. Students receiving financial aid were treated harsher when brought up on disciplinary charges. Sometimes students are given two periods of study hall a day. Not good for teenagers to have that much free time, especially an hour and a half a day in school! The "learn at your own pace" directive leaves many students back or unmotivated. When you attend AFS, you pay for the title on your transcript, not for a lifelong education. Socialites welcome, everyone else should avoid. Does not practice Quaker values either. The only course on Quakerism only spent about a week on the subject. Caveat emptor!

Posted June 01, 2011
AFS was a wonderful community where I could take leadership roles and my own individual interests were nurtured and cultivated. I am Quaker and did find the Quaker values lacking in some areas, but found that there is room for change and since my graduation in 2002, many Quaker practices have changed and the school has been moving more in that direction. I am proud to call myself an AFS grad there and feel my academic as well as personal growth was excellent in my time there. I attended a great college and am now pursuing my PhD. AFS prepared me well!

Posted November 01, 2010
Abington Friends School is an outstanding academic community. My son started there in kindergarten and is now in 10th grade. He has had a wonderful experience in this school that truly supports each individual child and values their unique gifts. It is more than a school; it is truly a community that offers not only outstanding academics but also an opportunity for your child to become an outstanding person. My son is happy, confident, well spoken, polite and respectful of others. The teachers are wonderful and truly care about each child, and communication is excellent between the school and parent community. On the AFS website there is a link to a video about the school, check it out because it truly gives an accurate portrayal of the AFS experience. If you are considering a private school for your child I suggest you attend an open house at AFS. It has been a wonderful choice for our family.

Abington Friends School 4

Posted May 30, 2010
Excellent independent education for children ages 18 months to 18 years. Our son is having a fabulous experience.

Abington Friends School

Posted May 06, 2010
Abington Friends provides the most authentic, meaningful learning environment. It is committed to children and educating the whole child. My son has really blossomed on every level since he has begun attending AFS.

Posted November 03, 2009
We have chosen not to send our second child to AFS due to the poor leadership there. Families continue to leave as a result of a very poor upper school advisory program and a fairly new LS director. The communication is terrible and the headmaster is unremarkable. There are much better schools available with better resources.

Abington Friends School 2

Posted July 06, 2008
My child has been a student at AFS for many years. I have been very disappointed with the leadership and do not feel that the headmaster or the new principal demonstrate Quaker values the way that they should be. I chose AFS because I am Quaker and felt very strongly that I wanted what was being instilled at home to be mirrored at school. The communication is lacking terribly. My child has had a few wonderful teachers and some who were lousy. We are looking at alternatives as are many other families. It seems consistent that the school continues to lose students every year. There are very few choices in the area as many schools only go up to the 5th grade. This makes choices difficult and challenging.

Abington Friends School
575 Washington Lane, Jenkintown, PA  19046
Last modified Abington Friends School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Abington Friends School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top