L B Morris El School 5

Posted February 09, 2012
I have gone to the L.B. Morris since kindergarten (although now I'm in 7th grade at the high school), and it's honestly an amzing school. Don't listen to the negative comments - those people need to get their facts straight and get a life. I will say that one of the office staff members is abrasive and definetley rude. Also, we are over preparing for the PSSAs. As far as the principal (Mrs. Mourdaunt) goes, I hate her so much. She is extremely rude and mean. She never listens to both sides of a fight - she sides with one person without hearing the story. I wish Miss Conway was back so much. But overall, the L.B. is a great school, and if you move into the area, HIGHLY consider it. :)

L B Morris El School 4

Posted June 09, 2011
I will agree to some, as a parent. No, I am not a teacher or employee of the school. he office staff, get to know them and they are truly wonderful girls, yes, somewhat "cold" but their hearts are in the right place as far as the kids are concerened, most important. As far as Mrs. Mordaunt, I have not had any negative experience BUT yes, I have heard of quite a few. You would not be alone. What really caught my attention is the issue of Mrs. Conway and the school trips. Come to a PTA meeting and school board meeting and see where these issues really come from. The teachers, the schools, not a thing to do with the trips being changed to a local destination. That was a school board decision, led by Mrs. Conway to only allot $250 to each class. That wouldn't cover the bus driver alone. The same was done at PK. Those kids were sent to the butterfly exhibit in JT as well. After school programs, same issue. Where is the funding coming from when the school board says no. That is why I say attend a few of their meetings, or come see me at a PTA meeting. Our attendance is minimal at meetings, it would be great to see new faces and get new ideas.

L B Morris El School 3

Posted June 08, 2011
As of tomorrow, both of my children will be out of this school and I couldn't be happier. I used to love "the L.B.". Ms. Conway (now district superintendent) was a very professional, fair & caring principal. Mrs. Mordaunt is NOT. If there's ever a conflict of any kind, she sides with students from families she is friends with no matter what. Also, if you're a truly good principle you don't need to raise your voice, especially as much as she does. The dean of students is professional and fair and the school would do better with him as principal as he listens to both sides of any issue before taking disciplinary measures. All of the teachers that we have come to know are caring & qualified. They try to make learning interesting for the students. Under a different principal, the school would get 5 stars, but at this time I can give it no more than 3.

L B Morris El School 4

Posted June 02, 2010
I work in a different school district as a teacher and can honestly say that L.B. Morris is a GREAT school for my children to attend. The teachers are interactive and extremely helpful. The school system itself is current and completing what it expected and as far as recess and a playground? Well they do get recess and they do have a playground now too. I will agree that the office staff is abrasive but that is my only complaint.

L B Morris El School 0

Posted July 29, 2009
We were relocated to Jim Thorpe, because of my husbands job. We were unsure on the school system, but I have to say that we were very pleased. His teacher was amazing, as was the counselor......our son really hit it off with both of them. Cannot say enough good for their influence. Only issue I had was the rudeness in the front office. I hated to have to call up there for anything, because I was alway treated as insignificant. People skills & friendliness go a long way. I mean, if you don't like your job, please find another instead of being sour all of the time. We have recently moved, yet, again, so I am thankful that I won't have to deal with the front office, again.

L B Morris El School 1

Posted June 06, 2009
I have to agree with the latest post. We would also like to leave this school district. I agree the teachers are a sad lot. They offer no programs or after school activities. The class trip was canceled and was replaced with a trip into town. What a waste. I also have nothing good to say about the very distant and never available principal. I long for the days of Miss Conway she was always available and was always out and about. This new principal has no social skills. Also what about some physical activity for these kids. outside play is minimal and gym i x weekly. But plenty of drilling preparing for PSSA's the kids are like lab rats. Oh and lets not forget the office staff. You are not greeted with a 'hello' or 'may I help you' its usually a blank stare or ' what' . How sad!

L B Morris El School 1

Posted June 04, 2009
We are so unhappy with this school, we are moving out of the district. It is a poor excuse for a school, the teachers are severly lacking in education and it is run haphazardly. I wish anyone starting in this school district the best of luck! You will need it!

L B Morris El School 5

Posted January 25, 2009

L B Morris El School 2

Posted November 06, 2008
Considering homeschooling... I think the high grading system (84 is a C) sets our children up for failure. I punishing my child for an 84... which in some schools would be a high B! Not to mention the fact that the school still has no play ground! My children tell me that on quite a few occasions they get no outside time at all! Not to mention the fact that they don't get home from school until almost 4 o'clock at night! And then have to start homework! And the truant officer... what a joke... my son was out of school for over a week with a serious illness and she called twice... did I mention he was in third grade at the time... Do many third graders skip school! Way too much time teaching for the standardized tests... and our averages are still below most surrounding schools.

L B Morris El School 3

Posted March 04, 2008
No playground because of insurance liability, the PTA was not willing to take the responsibility. At recess my childs teacher actively participates in out door games with the children. After school activities they offer very little, the intramurals did not last for half the school year. The township offers many options for sports which are reasonably priced and coached by excellent parents willing to donate their time. We have found the homework to be average, our child is not overburdened by homework and still has plenty of time to participate in other activities outside of school. The teacher has years of great experience. The bus monitor is rude to the children and the bus ride is 40 minutes. One office person is abrupt/abrasive to all 'the witch is in' appropro for the sign on her desk and proud of it (great learning tool for our kids!). RN split for 2 schools.

L B Morris El School
150 West 10th St, Jim Thorpe, PA  18229
Last modified L B Morris El School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
L B Morris El School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top