Upper Merion High School

Public | 9-12 | 1142 students

Posted June 19, 2013

Very happy with Upper Merion High School. My sons graduated in the top 30%. Recently visited the HS & when asked by a former teacher how college compared to HS, their response - it wasn't the classes that were the challenge, but the amount of work outside the classroom to prepare for their classes and tests that presented the biggest challenge. Their AP classes helped them rise up to that challenge and put in the work needed in order to succeed. Had an excellent freshman year at American University.

Posted March 6, 2013

so disappointed in UM schools! , My Daughter graduated top 10% from U.M and had all AP classes. She told me how unprepared she was in her freshmen year at Temple. The guidance counselors are useless and don't know or care about our children at all. I have a second graded now and he is not going to any of the um schools. What a shame!

Posted September 8, 2011

First of all, the laptop lawsuit was not Upper Merion, but Lower Merion. Secondly, as a graduate of Upper Merion and a current college student, I only realized how lucky I was to have gone to UM after I left. It is a great district and the majority of the teachers are dedicated and knowledgable. Yes, the college counselors could have been more helpful, but students need to take initiative on their own, and in my opinion to criticize the district for students not going to Ivy League schools is ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that more than one student in the top of my class are now at Ivy League schools. My perspective may be skewed since I took all honors//AP classes, but compared to many of my current peers at college, I feel I am much more well prepared in many academic areas than they are, and I have Upper Merion to thank for that.

Posted February 3, 2011

As an alumni of this high school and current college student I am incredibly disappointed by how the school is being run. I took all AP classes and graduated in the top 10 of my class and felt incredibly unprepared for college when I started my freshman year. From my experience, the teachers did not care about their students and most students were never challenged. The school does not keep track of student success in college. As long as students get into state institutions like west chester and millersville, the school is satisfied. In years past, valedictorians and salutatorians have gone on to state schools unlike surrounding schools which send several top students to ivy league institutions. This level of complacency is unacceptable. Most of my friends who started college have dropped out and are now working minimum wage jobs. Sure, Upper Merion sends students to college but, what is the quality of the University that they are being sent to? The school is more worried about giving students computers and making technology the center of curriculum than they are about the students succeeding in college and beyond.

Posted February 3, 2011

Get out of Upper Merion before you get to High School. In my sophomore year I began the application process to West Point. My counselor said 'Give it a try.' He went on to give me no help whatsoever in the application process and would not give me any direction or 'guidance.' As a previous poster noted, there is little drive by administration to send students to any exceptional schools. They are fine with students going to state schools. They believe that if they have done this then they have done their jobs. I was incredibly disappointed with the lack of administration accountability during my time at UM.

Posted November 20, 2010

To see a community of caring, leadership and a great amount of dedication to their students success is found in Upper Merion Area School District, this is their passion. I am proud to be a part of such a great district.

Posted June 3, 2009

This is an excellent school. I would not send my child anywhere else!!!

Posted January 15, 2009

As a parent I couldn't ask for them to do anything more for my children. Great teachers and coaches.

Posted October 20, 2008

Let's be honest... Upper Merion isn't as good as other public schools in the surrounding. They not only lack in academics, but as well as in the athletic and extracurriculars department. High schoolers recieve terrible college counseling; don't expect individualized attention. AP/honors classes are plentiful, but everyone can get in if parents meet with the school; consequently, the classes are a joke. The athletes have so much potential, but the coaches don't know what they're doing. A good number of students are 'unsavory' to say the least (example: drugs in the bathrooms) and it seems like teachers just choose to turn a blind eye. Of course, there's certainly worse schools out there but for the amount of taxes you pay, it's not worth it. If you're looking at buying a house here, I'd advise you to look someplace else or send your child to a private school.

Posted September 25, 2008

I am a recent Upper Merion graduate, overall UM offers many more AP courses than the schools that some of my college friends went to which can be beneficial. Many of the teachers are very good at what they do and are always happy to help their students. One issue I had at UM was when I was looking for a college. My counselor I was assigned to was less than helpful with this making it difficult for me to get the information I needed sent to the different schools. However since I did much of my college search on my own it wasn't a big issue. The only other problem I had was that they count a '0 period' before school band/orchestra meeting as course credit. This forced me out of the top 20 in my class even though my grades were better because they had more 'credits.'

Posted August 12, 2008

They offer good sounding classes, though you cannot schedule due to limited availability. Beware we were only able to get half of the computer classes our son wanted and you do not find out until right before the semester. Example: We turned a 4 year course semester guide 9th grade semester 1 Basic Web Design, We scheduled Advanced Web Design for semester 2. we did not find out until a few weeks before the second semester that he was not able to take Advanced Web design. We were unable to schedule him for that class in 10th grade either. Have had other sceduling problems with C++, Creative Writing, math, science and SAT prep classes.

Posted January 13, 2006

Academics are great. offer lots of AP classes and honors. music and arts are great. sports are ok.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 24, 2005

So far I have been impressed with the School overall. My son is academically and athletically active and I feel all his needs are being met. The only concern I have is his entering his Junior year and his need for assistance in a search for higher education and a career.

Posted March 11, 2004

I went to school in UM from K-12. Roberts was a wonderful school at that time. District reorganization lead to the middle school that year and that was a time of settling in. I feel that many of us got lost that year. High School was a joke at that time. The Staff was not equipped to deal with students with ADD or gifted students either. I am now facing the decision as to where to send my child who starts Kindergarten in the fall. My Husband is also a UM grad and sadly, we both feel that there has been a steady decline in the district. It appears that unless you have a standard child- text book child, you will surely face issues with the schooling. We suspect our son has ADD and feel that UM has not improved their schools in the past 10 years and we do not trust the district to work with him and at the same time treat him fairly. Upper Merion Real Estate is really overpriced for the lower school quality. Check the scores yourself.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 28, 2004

This is a good school district with a long history of trying new technology. There has always been a bit of a culture clash between the township and the two boroughs. Most of the teachers and staff are hard working with few union problems.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2012.

254 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

253 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

253 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2012.

256 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

White87%
Economically disadvantaged80%
Students with disabilities (IEP)45%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 11% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

440 Crossfield Rd