Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)

There are several problems with UM. First off, bullying - they say they are a no bully zone, but it takes getting a lawyer involved before they will do anything about the bullying. And even after that, they place the child in classes with the bully. Teachers are good, but a lot will push the ADD issue, especially if your child is not on medication for ADD. When the parent makes the informed decision to not give their child these medications, the school basically ignores the child. If you have an IEP, be prepared to fight for everything your child needs on it. UM pushes back hard to get the child off the IEP.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Some teachers are stronger than others. Some are challenging and some are not as much. But, my children really like all of their teachers!

Amount of homework: Disagree

My children are pretty smart and get good grades. I actually think they should have more homework. BUT, the teachers really do challenge them...just more IN the classroom than OUT!

Develops character: Strongly agree

The students are committed to each other and they "police" themselves. My children are treated better at UMHS than they were in a small, private school.

My children love Upper Merion High School. They are in 10th grade and came from a small private school. I wish I made the move in Middle School. There is SO much more offered with classes, clubs, and sports. They are thriving!

As a former student of color at this school, I had a terrible time. The academics are subpar compared to high schools with similar demographics. The faculty/teachers/students are all from similar ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds which causes a problem for people who are different. After moving out of state to a top performing public school, I realized how much upper merion is lacking. There is no diversity and a false sense of intellect here. Look elsewhere for students of color/intellects.

Very happy with Upper Merion High School. My sons graduated in the top 30%. Recently visited the HS & when asked by a former teacher how college compared to HS, their response - it wasn't the classes that were the challenge, but the amount of work outside the classroom to prepare for their classes and tests that presented the biggest challenge. Their AP classes helped them rise up to that challenge and put in the work needed in order to succeed. Had an excellent freshman year at American University.

so disappointed in UM schools! , My Daughter graduated top 10% from U.M and had all AP classes. She told me how unprepared she was in her freshmen year at Temple. The guidance counselors are useless and don't know or care about our children at all. I have a second graded now and he is not going to any of the um schools. What a shame!

First of all, the laptop lawsuit was not Upper Merion, but Lower Merion. Secondly, as a graduate of Upper Merion and a current college student, I only realized how lucky I was to have gone to UM after I left. It is a great district and the majority of the teachers are dedicated and knowledgable. Yes, the college counselors could have been more helpful, but students need to take initiative on their own, and in my opinion to criticize the district for students not going to Ivy League schools is ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that more than one student in the top of my class are now at Ivy League schools. My perspective may be skewed since I took all honors//AP classes, but compared to many of my current peers at college, I feel I am much more well prepared in many academic areas than they are, and I have Upper Merion to thank for that.

As an alumni of this high school and current college student I am incredibly disappointed by how the school is being run. I took all AP classes and graduated in the top 10 of my class and felt incredibly unprepared for college when I started my freshman year. From my experience, the teachers did not care about their students and most students were never challenged. The school does not keep track of student success in college. As long as students get into state institutions like west chester and millersville, the school is satisfied. In years past, valedictorians and salutatorians have gone on to state schools unlike surrounding schools which send several top students to ivy league institutions. This level of complacency is unacceptable. Most of my friends who started college have dropped out and are now working minimum wage jobs. Sure, Upper Merion sends students to college but, what is the quality of the University that they are being sent to? The school is more worried about giving students computers and making technology the center of curriculum than they are about the students succeeding in college and beyond.

Last modified Upper Merion High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.