King Of Prussia, PA
Students enrolled: 1,142

Posted June 19, 2013
Very happy with Upper Merion High School. My sons graduated in the top 30%. Recently visited the HS & when asked by a former teacher how college compared to HS, their response - it wasn't the classes that were the challenge, but the amount of work outside the classroom to prepare for their classes and tests that presented the biggest challenge. Their AP classes helped them rise up to that challenge and put in the work needed in order to succeed. Had an excellent freshman year at American University.

Posted March 06, 2013
so disappointed in UM schools! , My Daughter graduated top 10% from U.M and had all AP classes. She told me how unprepared she was in her freshmen year at Temple. The guidance counselors are useless and don't know or care about our children at all. I have a second graded now and he is not going to any of the um schools. What a shame!

Posted September 08, 2011
First of all, the laptop lawsuit was not Upper Merion, but Lower Merion. Secondly, as a graduate of Upper Merion and a current college student, I only realized how lucky I was to have gone to UM after I left. It is a great district and the majority of the teachers are dedicated and knowledgable. Yes, the college counselors could have been more helpful, but students need to take initiative on their own, and in my opinion to criticize the district for students not going to Ivy League schools is ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that more than one student in the top of my class are now at Ivy League schools. My perspective may be skewed since I took all honors//AP classes, but compared to many of my current peers at college, I feel I am much more well prepared in many academic areas than they are, and I have Upper Merion to thank for that.

Posted February 03, 2011
As an alumni of this high school and current college student I am incredibly disappointed by how the school is being run. I took all AP classes and graduated in the top 10 of my class and felt incredibly unprepared for college when I started my freshman year. From my experience, the teachers did not care about their students and most students were never challenged. The school does not keep track of student success in college. As long as students get into state institutions like west chester and millersville, the school is satisfied. In years past, valedictorians and salutatorians have gone on to state schools unlike surrounding schools which send several top students to ivy league institutions. This level of complacency is unacceptable. Most of my friends who started college have dropped out and are now working minimum wage jobs. Sure, Upper Merion sends students to college but, what is the quality of the University that they are being sent to? The school is more worried about giving students computers and making technology the center of curriculum than they are about the students succeeding in college and beyond.

Posted February 03, 2011
Get out of Upper Merion before you get to High School. In my sophomore year I began the application process to West Point. My counselor said 'Give it a try.' He went on to give me no help whatsoever in the application process and would not give me any direction or 'guidance.' As a previous poster noted, there is little drive by administration to send students to any exceptional schools. They are fine with students going to state schools. They believe that if they have done this then they have done their jobs. I was incredibly disappointed with the lack of administration accountability during my time at UM.

Posted November 20, 2010
To see a community of caring, leadership and a great amount of dedication to their students success is found in Upper Merion Area School District, this is their passion. I am proud to be a part of such a great district.

Posted June 03, 2009
This is an excellent school. I would not send my child anywhere else!!!

Posted January 15, 2009
As a parent I couldn't ask for them to do anything more for my children. Great teachers and coaches.

Upper Merion High School 2

Posted October 20, 2008
Let's be honest... Upper Merion isn't as good as other public schools in the surrounding. They not only lack in academics, but as well as in the athletic and extracurriculars department. High schoolers recieve terrible college counseling; don't expect individualized attention. AP/honors classes are plentiful, but everyone can get in if parents meet with the school; consequently, the classes are a joke. The athletes have so much potential, but the coaches don't know what they're doing. A good number of students are 'unsavory' to say the least (example: drugs in the bathrooms) and it seems like teachers just choose to turn a blind eye. Of course, there's certainly worse schools out there but for the amount of taxes you pay, it's not worth it. If you're looking at buying a house here, I'd advise you to look someplace else or send your child to a private school.

Posted September 25, 2008
I am a recent Upper Merion graduate, overall UM offers many more AP courses than the schools that some of my college friends went to which can be beneficial. Many of the teachers are very good at what they do and are always happy to help their students. One issue I had at UM was when I was looking for a college. My counselor I was assigned to was less than helpful with this making it difficult for me to get the information I needed sent to the different schools. However since I did much of my college search on my own it wasn't a big issue. The only other problem I had was that they count a '0 period' before school band/orchestra meeting as course credit. This forced me out of the top 20 in my class even though my grades were better because they had more 'credits.'

Upper Merion High School
440 Crossfield Rd, King Of Prussia, PA  19406
Last modified Upper Merion High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Upper Merion High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top