Lancaster, PA

Posted September 20, 2012
I think this school is a great school! I went there as a child, along with my siblings, and one of my younger brothers attend there now, along with my daughter and niece. They all 3 love it and come home just as excited as they are in the morning to go. The teachers are awesome, return phone calls and write letters/notes along with phone calls just to let you know how your child is doing so far. The school will gladly help with any problems are anything you may need for your child as ive seen it happen multiple times with myself and other parents. My daughter, niece and brother have never complained of fighting problems or bullying problems which is a plus for a city school. The playground has greatly improved since ive been there as well as the building itself is much much larger. I would defiantly recommend Wharton tp any parent(s) in the Lancaster City area!! GO WILDCATS!!!

Posted May 13, 2010
My children go/went to Wharton & they love it. It has its challenges as a city school, but pluses include: diversity, teachers are very accessible, Fun/educational traditions like International Dinner (every family makes a food representative of their ethnicity to share & there is some type of cultural entertainment), Family Movie Night, the Spring Festival (an old-fashioned carnival that is the school's main fundraiser), 1st Grade Musical, 5th grade trip to Washington DC, Earth Day, Garden Club, and Field Day in Buchanan Park. The school is currently being renovated & once finished will be an absolute gem. I completely disagree with the last comment re: parent culture - it is very positive & very inclusive! Everyone is invited to PTO meetings & the Parent Advisory Committee to express concerns or new ideas. Bully moms? So false! Please don't let someone's sour grapes color your judgement of a really special school.

Posted October 29, 2009
Not a big fan of the parent culture of the school. Lots of gossip, cliques, bully moms, and exclusion from neighborhood social activities. Fairly unhealthy if you're interested in creating an inclusive community and fostering parental involvement.

Posted March 02, 2009

Posted August 31, 2004
My children started at this school because we moved. First of all there are too many substitute teachers which caused things to be very un-organized not to mention the support teachers were never there for reading support or math help. The playground was nothing but boring! My kids were so afraid of fights and glass all over the playground, if that's what you call that! I am a taxpayer and this is what I pay for?

Posted August 29, 2004
My children go to this school, and we moved. I kept my children in this school and drive them to and from school because I like this school and thought that it was better than others' that my children had been in. But in the 2003-04 year, my good experiences with the school dropped. Both my childrens teacher left in the last marking period, which disrupted the children. Plus with budget cuts, my son did not get the extra math classes that he needed. It was a program for student who excel at math and reading, and it helped keep him from getting bored at school. I still believe that this school is the best elementary in SD of Lancaster, but I hope this year will be better than the last.

Thomas Wharton El School
705 North Mary St, Lancaster, PA  17603
Last modified Thomas Wharton El School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thomas Wharton El School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 6 reviews. Top