Penn Wood High School - Green Ave Campus 3

Posted February 03, 2013
As a student, I am hurt by the insults here to our teachers. I've been a student in the district since first grade, and I've consistently had very talented and dedicated teachers. Even the students agree that the problems PW has don't stem from the staff or the educational offerings. PW has a reputation that is deserved to a degree, but things are definitely improving. Recent graduates are attending schools like Harvard, Johns Hopkins, and Swarthmore, the once defunct marching band is competing again, the speech and debate team is a statewide contender, and our sports teams are doing very well. There are a lot of problems with this school; the curriculum is weak, standards are comparatively lower than at other schools, facilities are too small, and decaying, but there is a distinct renaissance taking place. Test scores go up each year, a new-ish principal is galvanizing the students, and things seem pointed in the right direction. Residents still smarting over the break-up of the old "Lansdowne-Aldan High School" may never get over it, but PW is presented as worse than it really is. No worse than BP, UD or even O'Hara. Bottom line is that students can and do achieve success here.

Penn Wood High School - Green Ave Campus 2

Posted May 07, 2012
All my children attend the William Penn District. I pay mad taxes and for a system that isn't uplifting my children. My children attended private school and got a really good education. I can't afford to send my kids to a private school but the school taxes in Lansdowne are ridiculous.. My children tell me how the teachers aren't involved enough because of the size of these classes. I live in Lansdowne and I travel in Yeadon there is no way that many kids live in our district. They have to find a way to check if they are part of our district. Most but not all are children that have disipline issues and they bring it to our township. Please Pennwood step it up and save our kids.

Penn Wood High School - Green Ave Campus 3

Posted May 04, 2012
Penn Wood isn't the best school but it's certainly not the worst. There are many programs for students to take advantage of. The issue is that there is limited funding for resources ( parents must get involved write your state representative for more funding, etc) and a large amount of students coming from other areas that lack motivation. Test scores are a result of a lack of preparation which is on the the part of the school district and student's willingness to prepare themselves. What's happening is a lack of parent involvement as well. In most schools, if parents show lack of concern for their student, teachers will not bend over backwards and beg your student to be punctual, disciplined and willing to learn. Even in tuition paid college, instructors do not care if your student skips all classes. So really , if your student can't be responsible in high school, why pay college tuition? I believe that parents and teachers play a huge role in students' success. It can't be all on the teachers and administration. In addition, it can't all be on the parents.

Penn Wood High School - Green Ave Campus 4

Posted September 24, 2010
People underestimate the quality of this school... the students are willing to learn and the teachers are more than willing to teach. We have a reputation as a "bad" school... but as a student here, it's not bad at all. We have our struggles because we don't have much money, but does that make us worse than schools in wealthier communities? I'm in all honors classes, paricipate in extra curicular activities and take dual enrollment classes at Drexel University... without Penn Wood I wouldn't have gotten these opportunities. Bottom line, people should have an open mind about us... our reputation is offensive and inaccurate.

Penn Wood High School - Green Ave Campus 2

Posted March 10, 2010

Posted October 07, 2009
The faculty and staff rarely return phone calls. The school is very poorly organized. They don't follow their own policies and procedures except when it comes to punishing students, which they seem to enjoy doing. Everytime you call any number at the school, you always get an automated response. When does the office staff ever answers phones?

Posted May 29, 2009
I don't like the school at all. Some of the teachers are worst than the children and don't really care about the children. I don't see what my daughter is learning except how to fight. Not until she came here has she been in so many conflicts and I don't see much action being done!

Posted January 20, 2009

Penn Wood High School - Green Ave Campus 0

Posted October 31, 2008
i am actually a senior at penn wood high school and is not all that bad but yes they do underestimate us as a student body. My mom and dad pay all these taxes for them to give me tons of unnecessary worksheets and for my counselor to not do her job. Well I am making the best of it taking honor classes,ap classes, and dual enrollment. I am envolved in extra ciricular activities and thats what matters. The wood keeps giving me lemons and I'm making gallons and gallons of lemonade each step of the way.

Posted September 09, 2008

Penn Wood High School - Green Ave Campus
100 Green Ave, Lansdowne, PA  19050
Last modified Penn Wood High School - Green Ave Campus is a Public school that serves grades 11-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Penn Wood High School - Green Ave Campus Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top