Mcdonald, PA

South Fayette Middle School 3

Posted September 28, 2014
Getting really annoyed...5 weeks into 7th grade & my child has not had 1 weekday without 4-6 hours of homework - no kidding. This is a straight A's student that takes studies seriously, but this is ridiculous. Math teacher doesn't teach the lesson - has them watch power points, take notes & go to connected.mcgraw-hill.com and watch the personal tutor, then gives 40-60 problems each night for homework! History class has had 2 papers, 1 project, 3 tests, 4 quizzes and more. Add Language Arts & foreign language classes and the work load is unreal. This is not the case for all students in the 7th grade. It appears the class has been divided and work loads for others are dramatically less-read "very little homework" and lighter class load. My child does not mind being challenged but this is not "honors" or "AP" and they should NOT be expected to do 4-6 hours of homework every night, after spending 7 hours in school! If it keeps up, we will be looking at cyber school - especially since math class is "teach yourself" anyway!

Posted January 30, 2014
I disagree with a lot of these people. South Fayette is always pushing their kids to do the best they can. They focus on art athletics and academics which is what any parent I looking for. They have teachers who are more like friends and can be an inspiration. They also have really high PSSA scores. They treat everyone equally whether you are on a sports team or in the drama club. They also provide many different clubs in the school. Upper saint Clair may be known as a good school but in reality they have some of the worst kids. Some of the kids smoke and one of the girls is pregnant. The only reason I know all of this is because my child went to upper saint Clair before I found out what kind of kids are there and we moved to south Fayette. I would recommend your kids go to south Fayette instead of spoiling your child by making them go to upper saint Clair which has the most discussing children.

South Fayette Middle School 4

Posted January 21, 2014
fort cherry small school teachers dont have huge classes can give a little more attention to children who need it would like parents to get a little more involved in school activities

South Fayette Middle School 2

Posted January 19, 2014
There must have been a push for parents to write good reviews around October 18, 2010 because so many were posted then. This school is ok.If you listen to them,the curriculum is challenging, but it is average,except maybe for the advanced math curriculum.Science and SS for half a year and covers little material at a slow pace.Lang Arts is a joke - reading books 2+ years below grade level.School is simply getting too big for kids to get any attention to their academic needs, especially if they are above average.Dont let them kid you - nothing will be done to enhance your advanced child's needs academically.They will meet with you as a committee and just tell you they can meet the kid's needs in the classroom, but no accommodations will be made in reality. The meeting is just a state requirement. This district has a great focus for you if you have a superstar football player. Plenty of focus on that. Suggest you do wait for a house to become available in Upper St. Clair school district if you can.

South Fayette Middle School 4

Posted July 24, 2013
There are many good things about the school and a few bad. The worst is that some genius decided Aug 21st would be a great day for kids to go back to school. Really?

Posted September 21, 2012
A PA Blue Ribbon School. New principals in past couple of years have brought new ideas and new energy into an already strong school. My kids excelled here and still return to see their teachers. A strong base provided for them to move on to the rigorous education provided at the SF High School.

Posted November 07, 2010
I love our school for the high quality of education my children receive. I also love the programs that are in place to support any level of learning.

Posted October 25, 2010
My children are very happy here and are doing well. My son had his highest PSSA scores ever. Both math and science were in the highest bracket. They have a great cafeteria, beautiful buildings and top quality teachers. The band and sports teams are first rate. Lots of community and parent involvement. There are a few things I'd like to see changed, though. I'd like to see more of a variety of sports, my suggestion would be boys lacrosse and tennis. In other parts of the state, most high schools and middle schools have those teams. I agree with the parent who said that help for special needs children is not common. In our case, not only did we not get the help but the disability was not taken seriously. A small blemish on a great school.

Posted October 21, 2010
my good son is in that scool and he loves it thats good enough for me.

Posted October 20, 2010
They are dedicated to our children as evidenced by their growing committment to provide a high quality, well rounded education in a safe and nurturing environment.

South Fayette Middle School
3700 Old Oakdale Rd, Mcdonald, PA  15057
Last modified South Fayette Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Fayette Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top