Merion Station, PA

Posted December 21, 2013
This school is great I have a kid in it right now my other kid is in bcms right now

Merion El School 1

Posted December 18, 2012
This school continuously excluded me from the gifted program because of my psychiatric problems (Asperger's) although I clearly fit the criteria for Gifted. They held me back in K because they stupidly got rid of their Pre-K program the year I was eligible for it. Never once did any teacher there fight for me and try to make the school realize their mistakes and give me the positive reinforcement (IE participation in Gifted) that I needed and deserved. I've heard it said that no one understood Asperger's in the early 90's, but that's an exaggeration. LMSD just didn't care. My parents kept pushing them to retest me for Gifted but the school refused, because they wanted to punish me for being a "problem child." They didn't care how brilliant I was. I was just a "disruption." LMSD might get good reviews, but if your kid is on the Autistic Spectrum, fight for an an out of school placement. Your kid will love you for it. If I could select Zero Stars for my rating, I would, but I supposed "unsatisfactory" will have to do.

Posted October 24, 2011
I currently have my daughter at this school, I am really happy with the teachers, and the principal, my girl is happy with the learning experience that she is having not only academically but also social and in music. it is great!

Posted May 11, 2010
Ms. Heffron is a principal of immense intelligence and aptitude. She is personally involved in the placement of each child and their academic and social development.

Merion El School

Posted April 26, 2010
Fabulously qualified yet caring teachers, a relaxed environment for learning where a child's own curiosity about the world is encouraged and nourished.

Posted August 20, 2008
I also have two children at this school and have been an actively involved volunteer. Their teachers have been fantastic -- interesting, engaging, knowledgeable, and in tune with the needs of the kids. The principal is approachable and sets a good tone. They do a great job addressing the array of learning and behavioral issues, esp. early reading support. The recently remodeled building is well suited to the academic program. And the parent group encourages community and involvement. I'd highly recommend Merion.

Posted March 31, 2008
I have two children currently at this school. My kids are having an excellent experience with their teachers, and with the challenge program for gifted children. The guidance counselor is very helpful with children who are shy or have social issues. There is a reading specialist and a math specialist to help the teachers. When my children have needed specific changes to the curriculum to meet their needs, the staff has done this. Whenever I have had concerns, the principal and teachers have been very receptive and have offered me options. There is an excellent music curriculum, spanish, and art. The facility has been beautifully remodeled. I would highly recommend this school to any parent.

Posted March 11, 2005
We were new to the area when my child started first grade. The teacher really gets to know the parent and the child for a better learning environment.

Posted January 12, 2004
My daughter is presently a student at ME, and she could not be happier. She loves her teachers and her classes. Most of the faculty knows her and are very helpful and supportive in her schooling. Some of the younger graded teachers need a little help with the one-on-one with the parents, but otherwise, this is definitely a great school.

Merion El School 3

Posted September 06, 2003
My children attended this school a couple of years ago. It was shockingly mediocre. While it is safe, there is very little discipline. It has some dedicated teachers, but also many who are only still on the job because they have a union to protect them. The math curriculum is inadequate. This school is suffocatingly P.C., and more concerned with the latest self-esteem fads than with academic excellence. I wouldn't recommend Merion Elementary to anyone.

Merion El School
549 South Bowman Ave, Merion Station, PA  19066
Last modified Merion El School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Merion El School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top