No rating

St. Vitus School

Private | PK-8 | 119 students

SVS is best known for our rich history and family atmosphere.

Living in New Castle

Situated in a small town neighborhood. The median home value is $68,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $648.

Posted April 7, 2014

Our son transferred to St. Vitus at the beginning of this school year from a local public school. We couldn't be happier with the decision. The whole school has a feeling of calm and order. The academics are great and well laid out. The teachers, principal and staff are kind, easy to get in touch with, and eager to help. Our son has made some great friends, and thoroughly enjoys going to school. Our only regret is not making the change sooner.

Posted April 4, 2014

My children love St Vitus school!!! Like many of the kids here they don't want to miss school! The teachers know all the students in all grades and quite often stay after if a child needs any help keeping up. The curriculum is very good and the kids are usually considered advanced when moving on to ninth grade. My kids and I always feel like its one big family environment. They feel very safe here.

Posted February 25, 2014

Our son is currently in first grade at St. Vitus. As parents my husband and I could not be happier with our decision to send him here. We sent him to kindergarten at public school for the first part of the year and were completely unhappy. He was not learning anything and was completely miserable when he came home from school. Since starting St. Vitus last year he LOVES going to school! He is excited about learning. The faculty is wonderful! Everyone is very helpful and definitely wants their students to succeed. He is learning so much and we are very excited to be sending our second son to the preschool program next year.

Posted August 12, 2013

Our two children have been at SVS since Kindergarten, and really love it. We are blessed to have a Catholic school so close to home. I cannot imagine sending my kids to public school after being at St. Vitus. for nearly 6 years. They feel very safe and comfortable here. It is like one big happy family. We are very thankful for our little school.

Posted February 8, 2013

I am currently a 6th grade student at SVS. St. Vitus is more than just a school to me. It has a very nurturing environment and a warming family atmosphere. The academics are stellar, and the extra-curricular opportunities are endless. St. Vitus currently offers 4 sports, Basketball, Archery, Cross Country, and Cheerleading. Other Activities include PJAS, Journalism Club, Drama Club, Math Club, Gardening Club, Service Club, Cantor Choir, Forensics Team, much more. SVS produces many plays throughout the year conducted by students in grades 4-8 and several 6-8 grade students produce a monthly newspaper, The Witness. As you can see, St. Vitus has a lot to offer and has other family-oriented activities, such as the Families at Play nights that are held every month. The entire school participates in Friday morning mass every week and every grade has Religion class everyday, which helps enrich the Christ-centered environment at our school. We also have more of a one-on-one learning experience as the student-faculty ratio is 1:10 with an average of around 10-12 students per grade. I am a proud student of St. Vitus and I am blessed to have devoted 8 years of my childhood to SVS so far.

Posted June 16, 2011

My children originally attended a public school. They experienced and witnessed name calling, hitting and bulling. They hated school. I had to fight with them each morning to go to school. My children love school now. Saint Vitus School has been a wonderful experience for both my children and family. My children have learned a deeper and closer relationship with God. The education has been excellent. The teachers tailor their curriculum to the personalities of their students. My children have grown to be beautiful well rounded children. Of course it has been a sacrifice to send my children to Saint Vitus, but it has been worth every cent. I would not change my decision to send them.

Posted September 16, 2010

My kids have been at St. Vitus since preschool. They have provided a secure, loving environment that celebrates their individuality while instilling a good sense of moral and ethical values. The smaller enviornment supports a quality education reflected in the strength of their testing scores and performances in academic competitions. Regardless of a child's strengths or weaknesses, the school will work with him/her to be the best person he/she can be.

Posted March 28, 2010

In prior years I have been very happy with St Vitus but this year with Mrs Harvey as 2nd grade teacher my son has gone from loving school to a terrible dread of it. Speaking with other parents I have heard the same stories about this teacher. Next year I need to find a different school for fear of another teacher like Mrs Harvey

Posted February 15, 2010

I am in 9th grade and I have attended St. Vitus School PK-8th, and I can say that attending St. Vitus has greatly prepared me for highschool and later on in life...

Posted November 27, 2009

I am in 9th grade and have attended St. Vitus school from Kindergarden to 8th grade. I absolutely loved that school, I never wanted to leave it. The teachers are the best you will ever find. The school has a close family atmosphere that you will not find anywhere else. Sadly, though, I am now prohibited to even so much as visit the school, so my advice is to enjoy every moment there, because that level of joy you experience at that school will never come to you again, no school is better than St. Vitus school.

Posted January 6, 2009

It is a very good school. I love that they children learn christianity and school subjects. The teachers are great.

Posted November 19, 2008

I have been a student since Kindergarten. I KNOW what i'm saying when I say its the best you can get out of education. All of the teachers are certified professionals who are smart, upbeat, and ready to teach not just math and reading but about the Lord. If your looking for a EXCELLENT school, please, enroll now! --present student of St. Vitus, 8th grader, AV

Posted April 14, 2007

This is a great school, your child will learn alot and make many friends. Quality moral values are taught and there is a small teacher to student ratio. I highly recommed it. My daughters loved it there and never wanted to leave. If your deciding your child's school, think about what he/she wants....this is it!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Security personnel
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 7:35 am
School end time
  • 2:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Mrs. Cathy Ryan
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Security personnel
  • Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • None
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Audiovisual aids
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Forensics club
  • Girl scouts

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom