New Oxford Senior High School

Public | 9-12 | 1281 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 28, 2014

The teachers at New Oxford prepared me well for college! They also offer many electives and tech classes. I enjoyed my time there and would recommend it to any parent!

Posted September 15, 2011

just started there and i thought my old school was bad but this one is way worse teachers see bullying and dont say anything!!!!!!! im looking at online schooling now !!!!!!!

Posted September 1, 2009

Career choices are many times identified upon reaching higher education whereas some kids do end up identifying their careers at an early age, others don't because it might be overwhelming at times. We need to encourage our kids to pursue higher education and to help them identify that life does not begin when you start work at a local factory. Please don't misunderstand, there is nothing wrong with blue collar work if that is your choice and if you are already working one, you must know the physical demands it requires. No one is dumb, everyone knows something good they can excel at. For our kids, I believe we need to help them look pass their noses, it's not the same world we started with anymore, we need to help our kids become more than we eve imagine!

Posted August 31, 2009

My son is a special needs child...we have fought with the high school to get him an IEP. We have one but it is sub-standard, and not a bit helpful or sensative to his needs. We are searching cyber schools now!!

Posted June 15, 2009

This school actually cares about your child and whether or not they succeed.

Posted March 5, 2009

NOHS has the potential to be a great school. Sadly, the current leadership does not provide the kind of role model I expect for my children. Most teachers at the school really care about their students, yet there are some who I can't figure out why they are teachers. The people in charge should pay more attention to the stress levels in the building due to poor leadership.

Posted March 2, 2009

this school seriously needs to understand That BULLYING is the worst thing here..i cant stand seeing my daughter crying

Posted November 5, 2008

i was a former student of this school and it did more for me with the learning disability that i have then any of my former schools

Posted May 26, 2008

We moved from another state and my children attend this high school. I have to say that the kids love it here. The teachers from both Fall'07 and Spring'08 semesters have been very helpful. Honestly, the kids were struggling with moving to a new area, making friends, etc. and we emailed the teachers our concerns; they were more then fabulous. They all, I mean every single one of them emailed me back within a week and we kept in contact with them throughout the year. I can't say enough about the school. The ladies in the office have been great and patient as well. I would recommend this high school to another parent; I would let them know how great they are to the parents as well as the kids.

Posted October 10, 2007

I went to NOHS, and I must say, the teachers, were great. They were always willing to listen and help no matter what the problem! It has always felt like a safe enviornment.

Posted May 10, 2007

I've had two children graduate from NOHS since 2000. While there are many wonderful teachers, the school does not prepare students for the current job market. Too much time and money continues to be diverted to athletics, agriculture, and tech classes, while gifted students are left scrambling for scraps. The school should provide students with more preparation for SAT's and college admissions, and provide more guidance for career choices. Too many NOHS students are stay at home moms by the age of 25, or go on to work in local factories.

Posted March 8, 2006

The teachers are great to get along with, parents involvement is highly encourage in the school, and there are all sorts of activities that your child could get involve in. I believe is a very desent school!

Posted February 19, 2005

I had 2 Honor Roll Students to graduate here in the past 4 years. Both of them were given wonderful chances to excell and were encouraged by the teachers and staff to always keep striving to reach new goals and challages along the way. I have 2 more students who are not as gifted but who try thier best but find it difficult to get the extra help they need and who feel as though they are not accepted by thier teachers the same way. I find it difficult to find the help needed in the school for them to excell on the areas they can. It's totally different for them. I wish I could say the excellence of the school is the same for honor Roll students as it is for those who are educationally challaged .. but unfortunately it is totally different.

Posted October 4, 2004

I attended NOHS and I graduated from there in 2004. I found this school to be quite good. I recieved a wonderful education. The only problems that I encountered while attending this school were the lack of space in the hallways and the other students. Anyone that thinks that New Oxford is a bad school obviously has a problem with themself because it was a wonderful school. I had excellent grades and I never had a problem with any of my teachers or the administrators. When I hope that when I have children they will have the opportunity to attend New Oxford too.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 10, 2004

Good school but some of the authority figures do not make such good decisions on behalf of the students.
—Submitted by a former student

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2012.

274 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

280 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

271 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2012.

292 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

White76%
Economically disadvantaged60%
Students with disabilities (IEP)19%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Pennsylvania Department of Education

Asian 1% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

130 Berlin Rd