PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

We recently relocated from out of state & had heard rave reviews about NFS from several parents. So far, our experience has been OK. There are definitely some children in my kids class that are constantly disruptive & badly behaved & quite frankly I don't understand why they are being tolerated. I had high expectations going in, and I've been somewhat disappointed so far. The school needs to do a better job dealing with issues such as bullying. I'm hoping the academics will be much better, based on what we have heard from other parents.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Need to find a better approach in dealing with disruptive children. They spoil it for the the other kids.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Homework format is flexible to allow for family schedules & after school activities.

Our 8th-grade teenage son loves going to school! What more could you want? But seriously, we moved him here for 8th grade to get a better education and never looked back! We have been delighted with everything about this school. The staff are professional, friendly and caring. The curriculum is rigorous enough to prepare you for a place in a competitive high school, yet is taught such that the students really care about what they are learning. We are impressed by the applied approach to mathematics, the hands-on, investigative 'real life' approach to science, the in-depth exploration of history, the breadth of skills in English, and the support of the Advisory groups. I love that Quaker values guide the school's approach to learning and community, that cooperation is encouraged, stewardship ethics practiced, and students get an opportunity to explore their place in the world. I am impressed with how the academic staff integrate cutting edge curricula with consideration of child development and learning styles. I just can't say enough about NFS as a wonderful place for children to learn and grow. My only regret is that we did not find this school sooner.

Our child has been at NFS for 4 years and the experiences that we have had there are tremendous. The teachers go above and beyond to get to know every student and to find ways to teach them in the way that works best for them. With small classes, they are able to do this. They teach the kids about diversity by allowing them opportunities to work together where they share their talents and do not see their difficulties as failures, but rather, areas where others who excel can teach them to grow. The school is constantly educating their teachers on new and innovative methods to keep the school not only ahead of the curve, but to keep the school culture a caring and nurturing place. The school encourages public speaking, problem solving, reflection, and communication, in addition to high academic standards and innovation. In this world of technology and test scores, we are so very thankful to have our child in a school that strives to develop the whole child in a way where they do not think they are the centers of the universe, but rather, valuable pieces of a universal community.

I attended NFS back in the day and now my children go there. I have been very happy so far as to what my children have learned. I am Saddened to see some of the very important core Quaker values be pushed aside for certain families with connections or money. I give the school a 4 bc I feel my children have some students in their class that should not be in such an "elite" private school and I want to know why it's being tolerated. Over all I hope my children feel the same way as I did when I left. Providing me with a strong basis as to who I was and allowed me to progress to other schools of high achievement. I feel the community has lost se of its "we are all equal and included" values as I had experienced back in the day. But for now they will be staying at the school.

This school has undergone major turnover in the past couple of years. The youngest of my kids graduated 5 years ago, but an my inlaws still have a child there, who is leaving at the end of this year. They tell me the place has gone downhill and I believe it. Just about every teacher my kids had is GONE - pushed out to make room for younger, cheaper less experienced teachers. Maybe the lack of experienced educators is why they now have a full time counselor on staff -- but the full time librarian, computer teacher, math enrichment and ft reading specialists have all been cut. I have no idea what happened to all those great teachers and the school my family loved. Strongly suggest you visit the fine public schools in the area before dropping $18k per kid here. What a shame.

NFS has steady improved since the arrival of the new Headmaster several years ago. As anyone who has ever managed change knows, there is always some resistance to the status quo. The school has greatly enhanced the curriculum and hired some excellent teachers with strong qualifications and abilities. Five years ago, we moved from another local private school and are very glad that we did so. Our child has consistently performed at the top of the class and scored very well on standardized tests. The children are overall 'nice' as well as their parents. Whenever concerns are brought to the attention of teachers or administration, the issues are handled appropriately and quickly. NFS should continue to improve as the staff works together for the betterment of the children and their educational experience.

This school is difficult to recommend to other parents. There has been significant staff turnover in the past 3 years which seems to be reflective of the work environment. The administration seems out of touch and i am questioning keeping my children there next year. I have had high hopes but the student numbers keep dropping and so seems the services. In one grade only ten percent of students are male.

Newtown Friends School is an amazing school, full of wonderful teachers and wonderful children. From visiting the Trenton Planetarium, to visiting Willamsburg. This school is an amazing school full of wonderful adventures and experiences. The teachers have all different backgrounds, and teaching styles. But, overall, this school is AMAZING!!!

Last modified Newtown Friends School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8