« Back to compare
/ / / School Profile
Students enrolled: 943

Contact this school

100 Mount Rock Rd
Newville, PA 17241

(717) 776-2436
Nearby homes for sale
Map of Big Spring High School address.

April 28, 2010
Here the teachers are wonderful, however, the funding that different departements recieve and the fact that everything is based off of PSSA's is absolutely unnecessary.

- submitted by a student

February 06, 2010
The only negative with Big Spring is the fact that the Teacher's Union protects incompetent teachers, allows them to be rewarded with across the board raises and keeps excellent teachers locked in the same pay scale with them-THIS IS NOT FAIR to the EXCELLENT EDUCATORS at Big Spring. Teacher Unions are the scourge of Public Education in PA! 90% of BS teachers are wonderful, but the other 10% need to be held accountable for their incompetency and failure to deliver education services and then terminated!

- submitted by a parent

November 27, 2009
I have been attending this district since Kindergarten and I am currently in my freshman year. In my opinion, Big Spring is a great district and offers numerous opportunities to its students. One of Big Spring's greatest qualities is the students. They genuinely care for each other. Big Spring is also active in fighting against bullying and discrimination. The teachers are terrific and are able to connect with their students which has a definite positive effect on their education. I am exceedingly satisfied with the extracurricular activities and programs that are offered to the students. Overall, Big Spring is an excellent district. I've always been proud to be Big Spring Bulldog!

- submitted by a student

October 17, 2008
I used to hate this school, but after visiting other schools, I'm beginning to appreciate it. The students actually care about each other, and are more than willing to help one other work through their problems. The staff is decent, depending on which teachers you get stuck with. 90 percent of them are awesome, and will go out of their way to help you. It's not about the money, our teachers don't make much, comparatively. My only complaint is the lack of higher-up computer courses. Other subjects, between higher-level English classes, upper-level science/chemistry courses, and an excellent physics teacher, have left me satisfied with the education I've been striving to achieve before heading off to college. Although I disagree with some of the recent changes to the building policies/course structures, Big Spring still remains a school I'm proud to have attended.

- submitted by a student

October 13, 2008
I've been in the Big Spring school district for my whole school life. I am in my junior year right now. I'm not happy with the school and i havent been for quite some time. Some of the teachers could care less about the students. The district preaches this 'Anti-bullying' policy and doesnt follow through with it. There is much favoritism and discrimination. The school is NOT supportive of the arts at all. Its an ok school i guess. But it does have some major downfalls.

- submitted by a student

June 27, 2007
Big Spring is more than Great; it is outstanding. My son has received an excellent education and will be attending a 'Highly Competitive' University. Teachers are sincere and caring. Guidance Department is second to none. This is the second high school my son has attended due to my job transfer. His previous high school was ranked 'Great' and I assure you, Big Spring is far superior.

- submitted by a parent
Need help choosing a school? We can help »

Media Gallery

Media missing

Uh oh! No photos. This frame will look much better when you upload photos »


Find out what parents are saying about Big Spring High School


Nearby homes and rentals

Last modified: December 15, 2014

Sign up for email updates

Connect with us

Translate this web page

About GreatSchools

Our mission is to help millions of parents get a great education for their kids. GreatSchools.org is an independent nonprofit and the leading national source of school information for families.

GreatSchools.org 1999 Harrison Street, Suite 1100, Oakland, CA 94612

©1998-2015 GreatSchools.org All Rights Reserved. GreatSchools is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization | Ad Choices

Big Spring High School
100 Mount Rock Rd, Newville, PA  17241
(717) 776-2436
Last modified Big Spring High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Big Spring High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top