K-12 & Ungraded
Philadelphia, PA
Students enrolled: 1,212

Community Academy of Philadelphia CS 2

Posted September 20, 2014
I am a former teacher in the High School. It is a K-12 school, and even the highest-level kids lack basic skills that should be taught in middle school, but clearly weren't. The vice principal was never a teacher, but a former Philly Cop. But she loves to boss and bully the teachers around, and tell them that they "don't teach right". I was once talking to the CEO (the principal's father) about an education issue, and he cut me off because his daughter (the HS principal) was calling, and he informed me that she was calling to ask his opinion on whether or not to sell her BMW. That shows some mixed priorities there. With that in mind, there are some wonderful teachers and students there that I would work with again in a heartbeat.

Posted January 28, 2013
Terrible school period. I've attended this school for 7 years and I absolutely loathed it. The test score are so low cause majority of the time students are well "zoned out" or just frankly don't care. The favoritism is so bluntly obvious it hurts the motivation of the ones striving to achieve their goals to the point of not even caring anymore. You're treated like a child and talk down to and certain staffs has a napoleon complex that is just too stressful to deal with. If your missing a small piece of your uniform (And they're not cheap either, so lower incomers be wary) They'll keep you in disciplined, {A room with chairs, no windows and awkward silence} for the rest of the school day. So frankly, you'd be wasting a day because you literally get nothing to do, you do not learn anything and you can not talk. Wow, and then people wonder why the scores are so low. Maybe because students spend most of their time In this morbid room than the actual classroom. But hey, this is a great place to dump your kids for 7 hours or so to be babysat cause there is no way of cutting class.

Community Academy of Philadelphia CS 2

Posted November 05, 2012
I myself graduated from CAP, and like the majority of reviewers here, I find the administrative of the school care more about tiny details like appearance and such more than the academic quality that the students receive. However, almost all of the teachers here are excellent and I find myself referring to their lessons now still when I am in my second year of college. CAP students, however, suffer heavily from favoritism and inequality; such as sport-active students get more attention and students with slow learning ability get pushed off aside. Why not let the students that make a lot of effort and change dramatically over a period of time go on that oversea trip? Why 90% of top 20 students of the class get to go on that trip? Favoritism ruined this school.

Posted October 31, 2012
I am still happy with Community Academy of Philadelphia Charter school, my son is getting ready to graduate and he has been here at this school since fourth grade, when he needs extra help , he can always get tutored or he can email his teachers, my young daughter is also enjoying this school, she is in the third grade and she has been here since Kindergarten. When she came there she was ready for the challenge and they keep her learning and striving for more education. They have computers for the kids and after school activities which are great. The staff is wonderful and helpful and the security, keep up the good work team. And that is what makes a great school.

Posted October 16, 2012
I agreee with this statement completely. I agree because your right, I myself attended Cap and graduated from Cap. It is a very good school and I am completely shocked at the one out of ten ranking it has been given. You are very right in saying that they focus on a lot of the idiotic things such a missing piece of the uniform. They should be focusing completely on the education being provided so that the school would not be ranked a one out of ten. I agree with you wholeheartidly about the fact that the fault in all of this is not the teachers, it is the administration in charge who are at fault, if they were to focus more on the needs and the quality and substance of the education the students are being given then I do believe that the school would receive a higher ranking. The school must make some neccesary changes in order to prosper.

Posted February 28, 2012
It is disheartening that Greatschools posts nameless rants full of misinformation and unfair accusations about a group of wonderful young people who attend Community Academy. They are not racist toward their teachers; they are open-minded, respectful and good people. Of course they are teenagers, and they act at times like teenagers. But CAP provides conflict resolution, clinical counselors, and strong discipline to help them make their way through those difficult years. CAP is not the school you want to go to if you want to be rowdy! CAP is calm and dedicated to learning and has a wide range of students from AP classes to special ed. for the severely autistic and honors students to returned drop-outs. That's why our PSSA scores are often below average; CAP accepts every challenge. However, no one who knows CAP believes it rowdy or violent. In fact, it has been called one the safest public schools in America. There is a danger in websites like this, because anyone, without having to backup what they say, can just rant away. CAP's strict rules are not for everyone. It is a school of choice.

Posted February 28, 2012
Community Academy of Philadelphia(CAP) is an amazing school, full of caring adults and much needed structure for todays young people. It saddens me to see the negative comments about a school that does so much more than educate our children. My daughter attended the school for three years and graduated in 2011. She left the school with fond memories and a strong foundation of education. She is currently attending a four year university, lives on campus and will one day be a Pediatric Nurse. CAP prepared her for higher education and continues to support her whenever she needs it. She visits CAP frequently and most recently spoke with current CAP students about her first semester experience in college. I wholeheartedly agree with todays post from a CAP teacher and wish CAP continued success!

Posted November 14, 2011
i was in this school since kindergarten and there has been a lot of improvement. But they are worried more about the appearance of the students and what the school looks like on the outside. also they have a bootcamp like mentality for discipline which doesn't even work because the students were even more misbehaved because the most teachers,principles,and security guards were so meticulous about everything for example if you were missing a flag pin or a year pin you got a detention for not having a complete uniform. also if we didn't have clear book bags we had to carry our books every where our run back and forth in 3 min. in the extremely overcrowded hallways just to get to our lockers. and another thing they made us pay 10 dollars for a lock to put on your lockers plus if you didn't get a locker you got a detention. they were so busy with the useless security that was easily outsmarted by the students that the academic standards were horrible. the majority of teachers just taught you the material and gave you the work and expected you to do it and if you were failing some told you to go to tutoring.It is more the administrators fault than the teachers.

Community Academy of Philadelphia CS 3

Posted October 19, 2011
Hello everyone, First I'll start with - I have no reasons behind my rating. I have never been to this school, but they required me to choose a rating in order to post, so hopefully you guys will read this. My name is Danelle and I am a Temple University student doing a project about the 24th police district. I am focussing on the opportunities the schools have for children and students (or don't, depending on what information I get) Would any of you who have made comments about this school be interested in talking to me about your experiences at this school? It will have to be videotaped because it is a video project, but if preferred, I can keep names anonymous and I can blur faces so you are unrecognizable. Let me know what you guys think, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted August 28, 2011
This School is horrible because they hardly have sports..The Lunch is distgusting and the teachers dont listen to you or help you....not mentioning any names

Community Academy of Philadelphia CS
1100 East Erie Ave, Philadelphia, PA  19124
Last modified Community Academy of Philadelphia CS is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Community Academy of Philadelphia CS Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top