Philadelphia Harambee Inst Cs

Charter | K-8 | 449 students

Living in Philadelphia

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $91,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted October 25, 2013

Harambee is an excellent school, majoring in math and science. The students have a great outlook about themselves and others. They are also motivated, purposeful learners with self and racial pride! This school has proven itself well over 40 years. I hope they expand into high school and into New Jersey as well. I'm a grandmother and I endorse Harambee

Posted April 8, 2012

I have a 22 and 18yr old that went to Harambee and now a 6yr old. Harambee is a very safe environment for children. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, we spend way too much time tearing each other down as a culture and community. As an educational facility I like that the Institute is unique in it's own vision. I like how the curiculum instills characteristics in our youth that allows them to believe in themselves. Some people think the school's tatics are unprofessional a rough-only because they do not allow anyone to come in there and take over or force change and divert Harambee from it's purpose and vision. Harambee promotes leadership, unity, determination, self reliance. Let's face it-as a people we are really lost for direction. I never had to worry about no one fighting my children or following them home with a bunch of non-sense. There is too much violence in schools and I'm pleased to say when I drop my child off I can go to work and know, without doubt he is safe!

Posted April 6, 2012

YOU KNOW I HAVE BEEN A PARENT AT HARAMBEE SINCE 2000 AND i HAVE SEEN PARENTS COME IN AND OUT OF THE SCHOOL BECAUSE THEY CANNOT COME IN AND DO ANYTHING THEY WANT WITHIN THE SCHOOL SYSTEM. HARAMBEE HAS THE BEST EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM BECAUSE THEY WORK ON THE WHOLE CHILD AND NOT JUST WHETHER HE/ SHE CAN READ WRITE ADD AND SUBTRACT. LET'S GIVE 7 HARAMBEES AND GET READY FOR SOME "REAL EDUCATION"!

Posted August 29, 2011

Our daugher went to this shcool for Kindergarden and first grade and were not pleased with the teaching staff or communication with administration. We have made several attempts to speak directly with the administration to get an update on my daughters progress but the only people concerned were my wife and myself. The teachers and staff are very unprofessional. There are only a few programs or activies for tyour children to participate in. They have a lunch policy that only allows your child to bring certain healty foods and if they dont bring in the specifed food they will throw it away, but, they sell all types of junk food during school hours which is totally hipocritical. Overall we were very disappointed with our experience.

Posted June 13, 2011

Harambee is a good school, i agree they focus too much on African Heritage. they need to teach kids how to live in todays world. they have gotten better with trying to provide an environment for more advance childen. my son went there for 6yrs and my daughter has been there since kindergarden and is going to the 8th grade. the school is a safe place and the school is kept clean. it has updated technology. i would reccomend this school. parent involvement is a must. you have to attend parent meeting monthly or your child will be put out. there is no tolerance for children with behavior problems.

Posted May 9, 2011

I have a twelve yr old, daughter, that's attended Harambee since kindergarten and I love it. The education she's recieving is far better that the public school she would have attended and much safer. I only wish they had a high school so I wouldn't have to worry about what school she's going to attend in two more yrs.

Posted January 25, 2011

When my family first moved into this area in 2005, we went to The Harambee Institute to talk with someone about enrolling our daughter in the school. We were stopped at the front door, were not allowed to talk with ANYONE at all, and were forced to write our names, address and phone number on a yellow writing pad and were told that someone would call us. We never received a phone call, and we never went back.

Posted January 23, 2011

Very unprofessional environment. You would expect more from a school that has this much potential.

Posted February 24, 2010

My children attend the haranbee charter school since 2005!! Its a great school BUT if you want your children to learn about their heritage you have to do some damage control at the end of the day! I say this because there is a large focus on african heritage and all children should know about their history!! Im saying this because my children are of Indian descent also!! Because of the major focus on African heritage we spend alot of time giving them lessons in their other history!! So if your children do attend this school Youl just have to become a teacher also in the area of history and heritage.. But really all parents should be able to tech !!!! OVERALL its a great school for learning and its a very peaceful environment!!!

Posted November 9, 2009

I am proud to say that my child attend Harambee, my son has attended the public schools up until three years ago and trust me he will not go back!!! While attending this school you can actually see his transformation on a daily basis, he has become secure in his heritage, knowledge and understanding of how education play a major part in his current and future endevours. Yes the staff there can be a bit stern but guess what the children are not harmed they are safe and they know that if they ever needed someone to talk to those staffers are there and we all know that. Please stop complaining about the school not providing extracarricular activities that's what we as parents should provide along with support and understanding to a good educational investment (refer to test scores) listen we can't have it all at least not for now.

Posted April 25, 2009

I graduated from Harambee in 2008. I know firsthand what goes on there. I went for eight years. (From 1st to 8th)I may not talk about what the school did for me but they did a lot. Many people are ready to give a bad review. I never felt unsafe at that school. One major thing on those reviews was that the teacher-parent commutation was bad. If the parent felt that they needed to speak to a teacher, why doesn t the parent pick up a phone and call the teacher. Someone also said that they are last minute. Did you ever think that your child just might be handing the flayer to you late? I know that when I went there I received several papers for early dismissals, parent meetings and lots of other things. I received those days in advance. The major thing is that they do focus a lot on African history. If your child doesn t learn it there, then where and when will they learn it? Someone was upset because Harambee doesn t offer Extra Circular activates. What s more important, I think its education. If you are upset because there isn t a lot of torturing going on why don t you just tell your child to tell the teacher that they need extra help? Every year that I was there they focused on my education and I learned a lot. That s why my grades are in the high 80 s and 90 s this year. Some of my teachers did want to be my friend but they also had a discipline side to them. Harambee has dealt with the death of people that helped to make Harambee what it is and they still went on teaching that same day. The main goal is for the child to learn and I know that I did. There are some bad things about Harambee but there are good things that could over power the bad things. Sending your child to Harambee is a good idea.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 6, 2009

Harambee is an excellect school. The staff there are very involved with family and they really care about their students. This is the only school that I have seen where the rate of parental involvement is high and security is the best. Not only that the security there is great. The satff secure the parameters after school to ensure the children make it to therir destinations safely.

Posted August 29, 2008

The school isn't utilizing the resources the school district provides and it shows in our children's test scores. They don't assign enough homework and don't challenge the more advanced students. They need more qualified teachers to help train and assist the inexperienced ones.

Posted July 16, 2008

My 12 y.oo daughter attends this school and I am desperately looking for another school to send her to. The teacher-parent communication is horrible and problems aren't solved at all. There's not enough emphasis on homework or maybe it's the individual teaching skills per grade that's lacking......Also, there isn't any focus on tutoring and extra curriculum activities.

Posted January 8, 2008

This is my daughters 3rd year at this school and her last. I have many complaints about this school 1st being the focus so much on black history that they dont focus much on academics. There is no parent teacher communication, and when there's a problem nothing's done. I feel as if there reputation is the most important. The teachers are rude and impatient, and the administration is unprofessional.

Posted September 12, 2007

I think that Hamrambee has high expectations as far as teaching and wanting their students to excel. I am delighted with the exceptional teaching of black history, but there is more history that needs to be taught.

Posted September 11, 2007

As my child has only been there for 3 weeks, I have seen his confidence level jump 10 fold. His learning Swahili gives me a since ease. Everyday it's something new he's eager to tell his dad he learned. My wife and I have three children in college pursuing different fields, this is the first child that's actually very excited about school

Posted March 23, 2007

My daughter has attended Harambee for 3 years. Each year it seems the school is losing more and more interest in the students and gaining more and more interest in fundraisers and reputation. I don't feel my daughter is getting a quality education. There is NO communication between the teachers and parents. I am extremely disappointed in this school. There are no extracurricular activities for the students. To say I am disappointed in this school would be an understatement! My daughter will not return to this school.

Posted December 4, 2006

They are very last minute in all of there parental notice whether its report cards or any other event going on in the school. The teacher want to be your childs' friend more than the adult to look up to for guidance. They don't have after school sports everytime they try to start a new team they ask for registration fees and the teams are never started and its like pulling teeth to get you money back. they say they want the parents to be involved at parents' meetings. Its more like a lecture of some kind once a month instead of what's going on in the school.

Posted November 22, 2006

Helllo my name is Dominique Brooks and I am a current Harambee student and I beleive that the academic learning process is excellant I believe that learining about your ancestors are very important because if you dont have a past then you dont have a future this is a very good school it consist of teachers as we call them (walimu) who care alot about our education I also believe that harambee is a great school for k-8 every single grade has 2 teachers that care about them as if they were there child but I love my school because all the teachers have open minds and are great listeners about what we think may make harambee better.
—Submitted by a student

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2012.

40 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2012.

40 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2011-2012 Pennsylvania used the Pennsylvania System of State Assessments (PSSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in math and reading, in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing, and in grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The results for reading, writing, science and math are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The PSSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Pennsylvania. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2012.

48 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 65% in 2012.

46 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

45 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2012.

45 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 60% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 73% in 2012.

48 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students78%

Female75%
Male71%
Black73%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students64%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 49%N/A49%
Male 51%N/A51%

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

640 North 66th St