Public charter
Philadelphia, PA

Posted October 25, 2013
Harambee is an excellent school, majoring in math and science. The students have a great outlook about themselves and others. They are also motivated, purposeful learners with self and racial pride! This school has proven itself well over 40 years. I hope they expand into high school and into New Jersey as well. I'm a grandmother and I endorse Harambee

Posted April 08, 2012
I have a 22 and 18yr old that went to Harambee and now a 6yr old. Harambee is a very safe environment for children. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, we spend way too much time tearing each other down as a culture and community. As an educational facility I like that the Institute is unique in it's own vision. I like how the curiculum instills characteristics in our youth that allows them to believe in themselves. Some people think the school's tatics are unprofessional a rough-only because they do not allow anyone to come in there and take over or force change and divert Harambee from it's purpose and vision. Harambee promotes leadership, unity, determination, self reliance. Let's face it-as a people we are really lost for direction. I never had to worry about no one fighting my children or following them home with a bunch of non-sense. There is too much violence in schools and I'm pleased to say when I drop my child off I can go to work and know, without doubt he is safe!

Posted April 06, 2012
YOU KNOW I HAVE BEEN A PARENT AT HARAMBEE SINCE 2000 AND i HAVE SEEN PARENTS COME IN AND OUT OF THE SCHOOL BECAUSE THEY CANNOT COME IN AND DO ANYTHING THEY WANT WITHIN THE SCHOOL SYSTEM. HARAMBEE HAS THE BEST EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM BECAUSE THEY WORK ON THE WHOLE CHILD AND NOT JUST WHETHER HE/ SHE CAN READ WRITE ADD AND SUBTRACT. LET'S GIVE 7 HARAMBEES AND GET READY FOR SOME "REAL EDUCATION"!

Philadelphia Harambee Inst Cs 2

Posted August 29, 2011
Our daugher went to this shcool for Kindergarden and first grade and were not pleased with the teaching staff or communication with administration. We have made several attempts to speak directly with the administration to get an update on my daughters progress but the only people concerned were my wife and myself. The teachers and staff are very unprofessional. There are only a few programs or activies for tyour children to participate in. They have a lunch policy that only allows your child to bring certain healty foods and if they dont bring in the specifed food they will throw it away, but, they sell all types of junk food during school hours which is totally hipocritical. Overall we were very disappointed with our experience.

Posted June 13, 2011
Harambee is a good school, i agree they focus too much on African Heritage. they need to teach kids how to live in todays world. they have gotten better with trying to provide an environment for more advance childen. my son went there for 6yrs and my daughter has been there since kindergarden and is going to the 8th grade. the school is a safe place and the school is kept clean. it has updated technology. i would reccomend this school. parent involvement is a must. you have to attend parent meeting monthly or your child will be put out. there is no tolerance for children with behavior problems.

Posted May 09, 2011
I have a twelve yr old, daughter, that's attended Harambee since kindergarten and I love it. The education she's recieving is far better that the public school she would have attended and much safer. I only wish they had a high school so I wouldn't have to worry about what school she's going to attend in two more yrs.

Philadelphia Harambee Inst Cs 1

Posted January 25, 2011
When my family first moved into this area in 2005, we went to The Harambee Institute to talk with someone about enrolling our daughter in the school. We were stopped at the front door, were not allowed to talk with ANYONE at all, and were forced to write our names, address and phone number on a yellow writing pad and were told that someone would call us. We never received a phone call, and we never went back.

Philadelphia Harambee Inst Cs 1

Posted January 23, 2011
Very unprofessional environment. You would expect more from a school that has this much potential.

Philadelphia Harambee Inst Cs 0

Posted February 24, 2010
My children attend the haranbee charter school since 2005!! Its a great school BUT if you want your children to learn about their heritage you have to do some damage control at the end of the day! I say this because there is a large focus on african heritage and all children should know about their history!! Im saying this because my children are of Indian descent also!! Because of the major focus on African heritage we spend alot of time giving them lessons in their other history!! So if your children do attend this school Youl just have to become a teacher also in the area of history and heritage.. But really all parents should be able to tech !!!! OVERALL its a great school for learning and its a very peaceful environment!!!

Posted November 09, 2009
I am proud to say that my child attend Harambee, my son has attended the public schools up until three years ago and trust me he will not go back!!! While attending this school you can actually see his transformation on a daily basis, he has become secure in his heritage, knowledge and understanding of how education play a major part in his current and future endevours. Yes the staff there can be a bit stern but guess what the children are not harmed they are safe and they know that if they ever needed someone to talk to those staffers are there and we all know that. Please stop complaining about the school not providing extracarricular activities that's what we as parents should provide along with support and understanding to a good educational investment (refer to test scores) listen we can't have it all at least not for now.

Philadelphia Harambee Inst Cs
640 North 66th St, Philadelphia, PA  19151
Last modified Philadelphia Harambee Inst Cs is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Philadelphia Harambee Inst Cs Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top