Philadelphia, PA

Rhoads James School 3

Posted June 22, 2014
I am former student at this school(class 2011), and I'm ashamed to say that I don't have pleasant thoughts whenever I pass by this school. Teachers and staff are not the problems (as a collective whole), the students are the problems. James Rhoads requires better discipline action in order for education to flourish. When I attended this school the students were out of control, fights everyday between the same students, 1st graders cursing and acting like they don't have any sense. And I feel as if nothing was being done. I do realize that majority of this comes from the homes that the students come from, but the principle should have took better action against these particular students. Overall a student can learn an abundance of things from this school, but they have to overcome the ignorance and lack of home training that's around them. Hopefully things have changed since I've been there, under the leadership of a new principle.

Posted March 17, 2013
Well of course not __James Rhoads school is far from diverse. If it was diverse grades, student behavior, the building, the teaching staff and, most of all, administrative leadership would not only be far better, it would be something to brag about. Like Rocky Balboa said, "Fah get'ta'bout it!"

Posted August 13, 2012
Administration enables everything that delivers this school into the hopper of virtual hopelessness. Survival is the daily objective.

Rhoads James School 5

Posted April 13, 2010
Mrs; E.. Caldwell, Principal, is very committed to the success of James Rhoads;. The community must work together for the success of the students....parents and school working together. Educators cannot do their job alone....criticism breeds nothing. Working together brings success. Children learn their actions at home so help your child. You have a caring principal who wants the best but the work begins at home and continues at school.

Posted April 29, 2008
I believe that the problems our school has is due to the principle lack of leadership. She does not support or back up her staff. She do not report every incident that happens. I feel that as a leader she should protect all staff and students not just the ones in her click. Because of her lack of leadership teachers that really care about the students and been there for years is leaving. My child has been a school there for serval years. I have been blessed to have had awesome teachers for her. I believe that if she was removed and a caring principle was placed there James Rhoads would be a wonderful school.

Posted June 04, 2007

Rhoads James School 2

Posted May 17, 2007
This school has been a huge disappointment. My 3rd grader is the reason that PSSA test results are where the are for the school. He did better than every child in the third grade in the school and most in the district. My interaction with my boys' teachers and the principle have been dismal. If your child needs special plans like a 504 this is not the school to attend. They have yet to get one implemented for my 1st grader and have not even started the process for my 3rd grader.

Posted January 21, 2004
Kindergarten thru first grade was an excellent experience but grades 2 and up are questionable. Some of the teachers are abusive and uncaring. The principal is ineffective. Teacher attendance in some classes is poor and are replaced with ineffective substitute teachers. Last year my child was on the honor roll and I could see that he was learning. This year I am deeply concerned; all that he learned last year (first grade) seems to be going out the window. When he left first grade he was reading well, this year he is stumbling. The new Math seems that they have taken the hard way to teach something that is relatively simple. The parents will not attend meetings, i.e., out of 400 students, only two parents showed up for Home & School Association meetings; on a good day four parents when show. Some of these children have hard home lifes and to have to come to school and be pushed and shoved around and asked, 'why did you bother to come to school' is totally unacceptable.

Posted August 26, 2003
The principal was not very visible and unconcerned. The teachers are unable to teach in a creative way and as a result of this the kids are bored and distracted because of the teaching styles are antiquated. They need a great deal of improvement in order for education to be their top priority.

Rhoads James School
4901 Parrish St, Philadelphia, PA  19139
Last modified Rhoads James School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rhoads James School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top