School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Great News from Andrew Jackson where we are "Working United Towards Excellence" Jackson has a brand new Library! Stay tuned for our grand opening. We are also going green. Jackson received a grant to fund a Rooftop Rain Barrel Garden project through Recycle Bank. It is part of our effort to lead the community in green initiatives. Also coming in April a beautiful mosaic mural made by our students, families and CosaCosa community partners will be gracing the front of our classic building. All funded through a grant from Penn. Citizens for Children and Youth.
January 30, 2011

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Principal Kaplan has worked tirelessly to get Jackson a fantastic PlaySpace, a redone multipurpose space and to make Jackson one of only two schools in Philadelphia following a private school Integrated Literacy Model with technology in K-3. They also have a Stem Fellowship with Philadelphia Waterworks, a robotics club with the US Navy and a Science club with Temple University. All new this year. I love this school!

Jackson is a great choice for any student. The principal is amazing and all of the children love her! The entire school is focused on Positive Attitudes and the climate is respectful and calm. The children get exposure to all of the Arts and have opportunity for advanced programs! I am so glad we have a school like Jackson in our neighborhood!!

We have a first grader and second grader at Jackson. We love the teachers, the principal, the diversity, and walking to our local public school every morning! Thank you, Jackson community for everything you do! The school gets better every year!

Wonderful school with incredible community support, great teachers, and an amazing principal. My daughter enjoys it immensely.

This school is the worst!!!! The principal isn't for the students at all and allows her staff to bully the children. This should have been one of the school that were closed.Teacher bullying doesn't count as it would for student to student! Any type of complaint to the district falls on deaf ears! Hite could careless as long as he stills gets paid. I contacted his office to much dismay. I am so glad we have moved to Atlanta and my children didn't finish their schooling within the Philadelphia District because the children are doomed for failure because the principal and staff make up their own rules. The district needs a universal handbook that all schools must abide by and not allow the staff to dish out different consequences to some students and not others when the same behavior has been displayed! Goodbye to this awful school!!!!!!

I am a former high school teacher and now run a teacher education program at Penn. I've been in and worked with lots of schools. As a parent and educator I'm very happy to have this public school in our neighborhood. Something special is going on here - a great leader and dedicated staff members are working together along with parents and members of the community to build a strong instructional program. You can tell a lot about a school from the energy in the halls when you enter, and this school has great energy. Every time I've been in the building I've seen happy kids engaged in learning.

This school is a hidden gem in the neighborhood with great teachers and an ever expanding activities for students and the community. The rock band HOME is amazing, and a great outlet for all students. They recently received funding to expand the roof top garden, and begin a new project for a playground in the school yard! This is the 3rd year with principal Kaplan, and the school is thriving under her leadership.

Andrew Jackson is a school that constantly impresses me with the amount of love and enthusiasm it has for enriching children's lives. Each staff member and teacher has a level of commitment that astounds and the principal is amazing!!!!!!!! Additionally, the parent involvement at this school is impressive. I cannot wait for my daughter to attend!

Andrew Jackson is such an enriching part of our neighborhood. I love all of the programs that are happening with the roof top garden and their amazing band. It is clear that this school is working to be one of the best in the city. I am proud to have it in my community!

This school has positively blossomed under the new principal. Three years ago, test scores lagged the city's truly horrible average. Last year's scores beat the city AND state averages in every category. Involved, motivated parents have been working with the staff, bringing in the new library, green initiatives, after school dance, soccer and cooking classes and now Italian, Spanish and Cantonese classes. Recent budget cuts have resulted in a bit of shifting around, but the hard-working, dedicated staff has shown no signs of letting up. Go Jackson!

Last modified Jackson Andrew School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.