Bad
Good

General Philip Kearny 4

Posted September 16, 2014
My daughter has been at Kearny since Kindergarten. She was a shy timid little lady who has sense blossomed into a lively, talented, strong minded 5th grader. With the help of Kearny's staff and awesome former principal Mrs. Spagnola of course. The new principal is rather nice. I haven't had much interaction with him but for the most part he's getting the job done. I just wish he didn't make the kids stand in the rain in the morning. That kinda sucks. They used to be allowed to go straight to the auditorium.

General Philip Kearny 4

Posted October 15, 2013
My daughter spent 5 amazing years at Kearny. She had some of the best teachers we have ever encountered. They nourished and encouraged her love for learning, they gave her an excellent base as she moved on to one of the top magnet schools in the city. I would recommend this school very highly!

Posted October 15, 2013
Kearny Elementary is enjoying a Renaissance! We are under the leadership of a new principal, Mr. Dan Kurtz. Principal Kurtz is dealing with school climate with firmness and compassion and supporting our strong teaching staff with best practices and high expectations. We also have a beautiful new wing for upper grades, including a state of the art gymnasium. We are neighborhood school that is excelling in a time of limited resources.

Posted September 11, 2013
The teachers at Kearny are wonderful! The only problem was school climate issues - this was due to a principal who did not hold students (and parents) accountable for their behavior. There is a new principal as of the 2013-2014 and things are very different. The school has a new playground, beautiful and spacious gymnasium, fresh paint and a new wing for the 7th and 8th grade classes. Kearny is becoming more diverse socially and economically. With our new principal, Mr Kurtz, leading the charge, it is a new and wonderful era for Kearny. We have always been impressed by the quality of the teachers at Kearny. My child really loves this school and so do I. Parent Involvement gets 3 stars right now because we need more help but I imagine that will change!

Posted October 20, 2009
I love Kearny school because of its diversity.

Posted September 15, 2009
This is an excellent school -- the teachers are dedicated and passionate about what they do, the principal is a strong force in keeping the school great, and the students love their school and their teachers. My daughter is in 3rd grade and I highly recommend it.

Posted December 09, 2008
I think this school is great! My son reading skills have grown out of this world. The teachers are great also! The principle is outstanding!

Posted January 14, 2006
General Phillip Kearny school under the Pricipalship of Ilene Spagnola is GREAT! I have had great experiences with the staff and curriculum that this school provides. Nine years ago my oldest daughter was a student at Kearny. As a result is was accepted to the top Middle school in the State of Pennsylvania, JR Masterman. She was determined to be Mentally Gifted and appropriate academic, emotional and social services were delivered to her. I currently have my youngest of two daughters enrolled in Kearny. She is in Kindergarten and doing Phenonminally. As an educator myself I am genuinely pleased with the level of competetive academics my daughter is receiving.

601 Fairmount Ave., Philadelphia, PA  19123
Last modified General Philip Kearny is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.