Bad
Good

My daughter has been at Kearny since Kindergarten. She was a shy timid little lady who has sense blossomed into a lively, talented, strong minded 5th grader. With the help of Kearny's staff and awesome former principal Mrs. Spagnola of course. The new principal is rather nice. I haven't had much interaction with him but for the most part he's getting the job done. I just wish he didn't make the kids stand in the rain in the morning. That kinda sucks. They used to be allowed to go straight to the auditorium.

My daughter spent 5 amazing years at Kearny. She had some of the best teachers we have ever encountered. They nourished and encouraged her love for learning, they gave her an excellent base as she moved on to one of the top magnet schools in the city. I would recommend this school very highly!

Kearny Elementary is enjoying a Renaissance! We are under the leadership of a new principal, Mr. Dan Kurtz. Principal Kurtz is dealing with school climate with firmness and compassion and supporting our strong teaching staff with best practices and high expectations. We also have a beautiful new wing for upper grades, including a state of the art gymnasium. We are neighborhood school that is excelling in a time of limited resources.

The teachers at Kearny are wonderful! The only problem was school climate issues - this was due to a principal who did not hold students (and parents) accountable for their behavior. There is a new principal as of the 2013-2014 and things are very different. The school has a new playground, beautiful and spacious gymnasium, fresh paint and a new wing for the 7th and 8th grade classes. Kearny is becoming more diverse socially and economically. With our new principal, Mr Kurtz, leading the charge, it is a new and wonderful era for Kearny. We have always been impressed by the quality of the teachers at Kearny. My child really loves this school and so do I. Parent Involvement gets 3 stars right now because we need more help but I imagine that will change!

I love Kearny school because of its diversity.

This is an excellent school -- the teachers are dedicated and passionate about what they do, the principal is a strong force in keeping the school great, and the students love their school and their teachers. My daughter is in 3rd grade and I highly recommend it.

I think this school is great! My son reading skills have grown out of this world. The teachers are great also! The principle is outstanding!

Last modified General Philip Kearny is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.