Bad
Good

McCall is the best kept secret. The teachers are phenomenal. They are not only dedicated but highly skilled at what they do. When I had my first child ( b2003) I never considered public school as an option. He started at St Peters, then Friends Select and now commutes to private school in the suburbs. After my middle son completed PK (b2005) at Friends Select I was still so underwhelmed by our experiences in center city private schools that I took the gamble and enrolled him at McCall ( his best friend from preschool went there). Turns out it was the best decision my husband and I ever made. He and now my third son ( b 2010) have flourished at McCall. The academics are very strong. Would I still want my kids to experience all the bells and whistles of a good private school, yes. But for the moment the basic academics are what count for me - and McCall, despite the large class size, has a much stronger academic program than anything I had experienced at our local private schools.

My son is in kindergarten, and I am completely impressed with the school on many levels. The various educational professionals we interact with (main teacher, technology, librarian, principal, etc) are all very generous in talking about their class and about my child specifically. The HSA is a core group of moms who are very creative in trying to make parents aware of the happenings on a regular basis through a digital newsletter. They are also trying to overcome the funding cuts with various fundraising efforts, that try to bring parents together. If you have an idea on how you can benefit the school, the student's experience, etc, all are receptive to it. I have first hand experience with this through a recent effort to green the school grounds. Kindergarteners rotate through specialized classes throughout the week. Art, Music, Technology, Problem Solving, PE. Personally, I'd like to see more diversity in activity during the PE sessions. Cup stacking is not my idea of a Physical Education activity, especially for a 5 year old boy. However, they do have a playworks program that supplements this. I feel Mr. Battestelli deserves a personal shout out. He is such a wonderful teacher.

If you have an opportunity to attend McCall, take it. This humble school isn't always touting it's excellence, but make no mistake McCall is one of the top elementary/middle in the district and the region.

The teachers at McCall are very sincere and are invested in each and every student that they teach. The principal, Ms Rose Rock is simply amazing. She is always around to make sure that the students get to their classes on time and does not leave school until each student has left. The home and school association is made up of parents who are willing to go the extra mile to make sure that McCall has all the facilities to to use opportunities and resources to all staff and students. McCall is a big family and a gem in Philadelphia.

I'm a student that goes to McCall school I'm in 6th grade all my teachers were female and Caucasian except in 4th grade. I've attended McCall school since Kindegarden many people know me but I'm keeping my name hidden right now. All I want to say is next year I will be running for president , I will be having dress down day for free! I will have crazy clothes day and Etc. Please vote for me to be president I will succeed to be the school president but all I'm asking is can you meet me half way there

My school was wonderful. However, we have to bring materials by ourselves right now. Such as crayons, color pencils, and even markers. The art teacher of our school said that she's even trying to think about what project could we do with those old materials left. She tried to get new materials, but we don't have any money for them. So, please!!! Thank You !! And I love my school.

My daughter started Kindergarten at McCall, and I am most impressed with the Parent Involvement and strong Home and School Association! The parents back the teachers and administration 100%, which, in turn, benefits the students greatly! The students are friendly and welcoming, and the teachers love their jobs: which says a lot for the school climate. I am looking forward to a great year at McCall!

When my son was born in 2005, the word on the street was that McCall was great for kindergarten but not beyond. As he was growing up, every year the "good" year was pushed back, eventually to a point where McCall's stellar reputation as a school was not limited to a particular grade level. My son is now a rising 2nd grader at McCall; he has had two wonderful years with amazing teachers who have made learning fun and challenging for him. He seems to be doing much more advanced work than his private school-educated friends (many of whom have never done homework, let alone take tests and give presentations to their classmates). There is a wonderful diversity at McCall (in my experience all of the children seem to get along and respect each other, despite their different cultures and backgrounds). The parent community is also very tight (in my experience as class parent, as well as helping out on different HSA fundraising efforts and attending HSA-sponsored activities outside of school hours (movie nights and school plays, for example, which are all very well attended). McCall is a great foundation for the Society Hill neighborhood, and we look forward to many more great years there.

We have two children at McCall - one who is entering the fifth grade who has been there since first grade and another who started in kindergarten and who is now entering second grade. We have been delgihted with the faculty, staff, resources, and diversity of this remarkable school and will remain big supporters. Our boys have been met, learned from, and built friendships with exceptional children from a broad cross section fo Center City life. They have been encouraged to be voracious readers through the 100 book challenge, thoughtful citizens through need-in-deed activities in classes, and young mentors through the Payworks program. We have taken advantage of STEM night to talk about careers in math and science, and have attended muscials that have embraced the talents of students at each level. One of our children was identified as having special needs and the principal and his teacher worked with support staff to secure the services he needs. With public education in Pennsylvania and Philadelphia in particular under attack by the state government, McCall is an outstanding example of the important role a school plays in the life of the community.

I am in the seventh grade class of McCall currently and I love it here! My grade is small, only about 50 kids spread over two classes. My teachers are fabulous and even though the school isn't that challenging for me, the teachers try their hardest. I got to take an algebra class this year and an 8th grade math class in sixth grade. The people here genuinely care about you. The after-school activities are fun. Budget cuts are an issue, and my fabulous strings teacher might not come back next year. All in all, McCall is the best!

Last modified McCall Gen George A School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.